Accurate 250 gr and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the CCI 209 M + Federal 209A are the best. I also use the TC Yellow Sabots with the TEZ 290 touching holes at 100 yrds. W/ 100 of Black Horn 209. Shot a doe at 210 yrds.

I am looking for a 250gr bullet load. I tried the 4 petal yellow TC sabots that come with the 250 Gr Barnes . I practically had to use a hammer to get them seated. 3" group. I tired the 3PEZ and the MMP HPH 24 with the Barnes bullet, as well. No luck. I did not try them with the Crush Rib, but will. I really like the BT bullet, and would love to find a sabot/bullet combination to work in this rifle, so I could feel confident at 200 yards.

I am looking for a 250gr bullet load. I tried the 4 petal yellow TC sabots that come with the 250 Gr Barnes . I practically had to use a hammer to get them seated. 3" group. I tired the 3PEZ and the MMP HPH 24 with the Barnes bullet, as well. No luck. I did not try them with the Crush Rib, but will. I really like the BT bullet, and would love to find a sabot/bullet combination to work in this rifle, so I could feel confident at 200 yards.
The blue sabots that come with the barnes BT bullets when ordered from Knight is what worked good for me in the past.

I tried the 4 petal yellow TC sabots that come with the 250 Gr Barnes

TC sabots dont come with Barnes bullets. TC does not even make sabots. MMP makes sabots for both Barnes and TC. That is a TMZ sabot and a known tight fit. Its in the sabot size list at the top of the inline forum. Harvester offers a sabot for boattails that should be a little easier to load. You gain so little from a BT bullet in a ML.

TC sabots dont come with Barnes bullets. TC does not even make sabots. MMP makes sabots for both Barnes and TC. That is a TMZ sabot and a known tight fit. Its in the sabot size list at the top of the inline forum. Harvester offers a sabot for boattails that should be a little easier to load. You gain so little from a BT bullet in a ML.
Mix up on my answer. Of course TC sabots are not supplied with Barnes bullets. Lol. MMP makes sabots for more than Barnes and TC. :) I have tried so many combinations, that I am dizzy from it, and getting things mixed up.

The blue sabots that come with the barnes BT bullets when ordered from Knight is what worked good for me in the past.
If you order the Barnes bullets somewhere else, it comes with a yellow sabot. That's comparable to the MMP HPH 12.

If you order the Barnes bullets somewhere else, it comes with a yellow sabot. At least the ones that I bought, did. That's comparable to the MMP HPH 12.

Last edited:
This post is specific to CVA Accura rifles with 250gr bullets and BH209 powder.

What has been your most consistently accurate loading, and what primer are you using?
Hey Bud, have you had any luck with finding a good load?

Latest posts

Back