Accurate 50--488M

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
accuratemold50-488.jpg

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

52Bore (Rick) made/sent these bullets. It is my understanding Accurate altered the factory mold so it could to accept the plug Rick made, to create the hollow point.

IMG_3402.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the horse is 25 yard. The powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn.

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3406.JPG

The smaller piece of the bullet was found in the second bottle. The larger, was found in the third bottle. The last three bottles were undamaged.

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

Fail.

Hollow point or hollow based lead conicals not needed or desired.

Give me a big flat meplat with a flat base on the big lead, every time!

why would it be a fail, would be a very big hole in the vitals and a very dead critter that's all I want from a bullet is a very dead animal..

quote="Busta"]Fail.

Hollow point or hollow based lead conicals not needed or desired.

Give me a big flat meplat with a flat base on the big lead, every time![/quote]

I don't think it would fail to kill. It probably wouldn't give a pass through and that's important to some guys who need a good blood trail.

Reminds me of the Powerbelt problem.

Neat bullet . Some might fault it for lack of pass through therefore poor blood trail but I think it’s nose design will help that . It is going to act like a hole punch on the hide much like a bullet with a large meplat only better . It should work like a hollow punch one would use to cut wads . I think when a animal is shot with one of these the entrance wound blood trail will be much better than one from a spitzer or round nose profile

powerbelts basically vaporize when shot with large powder charges, that bullet just flattened out and lost a chunk which would of still been in animal and done damage.. as far as a blood trail single holes will bleed a lot just depends on shot angle/bullet, even on a high shot angle if the lungs are turned to mush the animal will be blowing blood out its nose and mouth leaving a trail most people could follow. Bullets that just pencil thru with little expansion are the ones that generally don't bleed much.. the way that bullet expanded if you hit animal thru vitals you wont need a blood trail as more then likely they wont make it out of sight.

Muley Hunter said:
I don't think it would fail to kill. It probably wouldn't give a pass through and that's important to some guys who need a good blood trail.

I have no doubt the bullet would work. Personally, I'd rather see the bullet mushroom nicely and hold together. To each their own.

dbowling said:
powerbelts basically vaporize when shot with large powder charges, that bullet just flattened out and lost a chunk which would of still been in animal and done damage.. as far as a blood trail single holes will bleed a lot just depends on shot angle/bullet, even on a high shot angle if the lungs are turned to mush the animal will be blowing blood out its nose and mouth leaving a trail most people could follow. Bullets that just pencil thru with little expansion are the ones that generally don't bleed much.. the way that bullet expanded if you hit animal thru vitals you wont need a blood trail as more then likely they wont make it out of sight.

Muley Hunter said:

Let's be fair. The light Powerbelts fall apart. This test is a heavy conical. Let's go apples to apples. The 405gr-444gr Powerbelts hold the muzzleloader grizzly world record. I watched a video of the 444gr knock a water buffalo off its feet.

I'd be comfortable using the 405gr PB for elk. I agree the lighter Powerbelts are pathetic.

agreed

Muley Hunter said:
dbowling said:

Muley Hunter said:

Let's be fair. The light Powerbelts fall apart. This test is a heavy conical. Let's go apples to apples. The 405gr-444gr Powerbelts hold the muzzleloader grizzly world record. I watched a video of the 444gr knock a water buffalo off its feet.

I'd be comfortable using the 405gr PB for elk. I agree the lighter Powerbelts are pathetic.

Same bullet as the 50/475 test - mold HP was modified.
Pure lead was casted just to see the result - similar to an 1830's design/illustration.

Kinda surprised any of the pedals stayed on with the large deep HP. But at this velocity, below 1000fps this would occur well past 200 yards - not a practical distance to me with this bullet. Many better choices.

Attachments

• CF bullet .JPG
    CF bullet .JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 126
Back