Accurate Molds 40-290S

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea of lead hardness? From the test ,conditions and penetration I’d call that bullet a “ Snow Plow” . Looks awesome.
Thanks Ron & Snapbang.

I recently received that same mold and just cast 20 of them last night. They are dropping at 284 grains for me using 1:40 lead from Buffalo Arms. Good to see those results! Thank you Ron and Snapbang!

Any idea of lead hardness? From the test ,conditions and penetration I’d call that bullet a “ Snow Plow” . Looks awesome.
Thanks Ron & Snapbang.
Looks to be one of mine/301.0 grain and BHN 6 on my Cabin tree tester if its from this lot /labeled pure but that's my definition and yup that's what they do @ 80 gr OE 3f /Ed

Personally unless i was after just penetration i would have the nose of that mold cut back a little so the metplat is larger. The bullet would probably drop around 275gr then.

Ive shot some cast 265gr in sabots that blew thru everything and into the tree behind it. :D They were much harder alloy though. Im betting something similar to what i had in a softer lead would have been excellent when you want a great chance of 2 holes.

Personally unless i was after just penetration i would have the nose of that mold cut back a little so the metplat is larger. The bullet would probably drop around 275gr then.

Ive shot some cast 265gr in sabots that blew thru everything and into the tree behind it. :D They were much harder alloy though. Im betting something similar to what i had in a softer lead would have been excellent when you want a great chance of 2 holes.
That one works @200 yds no problem and it does well on expansion as built in pure , maybe kill the one behind the one I shot but I've never found the bullet/Ed/Ed

I have the same one coming, supposedly c'mon Tom, at any rate mine is with a gas check shank on it
I had Tom design that boolit with the check base
I plan on powder coating them as well
Still waiting on it and it's killing me
nice shooting and testing
what did you shoot it out of?

The rifle shot this morning is a 45 caliber Knight Ultra-Lite. A crush rib sabot was used to allow the 40 caliber bullet be shot in the 45 caliber rifle. The 1X scope was not ideal for a precision aim, but the rifle was used anyway because it has a 1:20 twist barrel. It worked; the bullet went all the way straight through all six bottles.

Well I finally got my mold from Tom
seems like this one took forever to get to me green.jpg
Now all that is left to do is load them and test them out
I cast them out of isotope alloy which is around 12 bhn or so, mine weighs in at a touch over 300 gr's

Last edited:
Thanks Ron/Snapbang but I don't think I would want to use that bullet for deer. Yea it would definitely kill one and probably a pass through but not very much expansion. I wonder how it would perform as a pure lead bullet?

you would be surprise at the expansion that happens with a lead boolit
people have been using them for hundreds of years, a lot of animals are killed with solids every year in Africa
it looks as though his boolit got some expansion, considering what he shot into, you could always ad a small hollow point in it if you were really worried about expansion (use a Forrster hollow pointing tool)

Last edited:
Mr. White eagle: I am really interested in seeing photos of your bullets after they have penetrated whatever test medium you use. Will you be testing different alloys/hardness?

I am using these in a full bullet to bore application
that is the reason for the gas check, also you notice the powder coating that allows me more flexibility in the alloys I can use
will test for accuracy first once I get where I want as far as accuracy I can play around with different alloys, for hunting I like to use binary alloy's like 25-1 up to wheel weights depending on velocity

Latest posts

Back