Remington old school 700 smokeless build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick McChristy

Reaction score
I have an OG 700 I plan on building into a smokeless shooter. I have a 1-22 twist 458 pacnor stainless barrel I bought off an individual. I have finally sent this back to pacnor to get re contoured, fluted, & threaded for this action. I want to kick around some things with those that have been down this road.

While I am leaning toward modules & breech plug for Arrowhead - I am still toying with a 209 setup - I plan on sending the barreled action & bolt off to be nitrided - it was mentioned to me ceracote is cheaper and easier - I am pretty strong on at least nitride for the barrel & action - maybe coat the bolt - wondering about the bolt nose - Its pressed/loctited on - with this be ok in nitride bath or should i weld it on first - or coat it a diff color or just get all coated? Any experience here or tips?

I bought a wheeler action wrench - what should i pick up to hold/grip the barrel? I plan on the new barrel being some what close to the og profile.

Do most buy a different barrel lug? Seems the one on the barrel is thinner than a 1/4" lug - why is this? Was hoping to use a factory stock i had painted until i save up for a McMillan. I guess I can open up the lug channel?

I have some new stainless bolt retaining screws from Badger - I can make or alter some - Seems the builders like to scoff at the screw wear - & I know it will - but what can help with the wear?

Is Ebay the place to sell the existing 50 caliber barrel? Its primo and doesn't appear to have any piting - actually I kinda feel bad using this action as the gun was soo nice

Ill post up a pic wear I am starting with this evening

Thanks for any help

I did one a few years back when arrowhead had the pacnor barrels for the 700 ml action. I ended up having the action black iced. Used a Boyd’s stock that I pillared and bedded right from the start. Went with the 209 plug and never had an issue. Thing shoots great once I got sizing die set.

Attachments

• E8417BC2-A535-4ABE-B309-65099C6E7CB0.jpeg
    E8417BC2-A535-4ABE-B309-65099C6E7CB0.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 44
Awesome - what’s up on the black Ice? - is that a coating type ? I’m having pacnor part off a 1” piece I plan on using for my sizing die - Thanks!

I went with the LRMP Breechplug, modules, & bolt nose from Arrowhead. Has anyone had the bolt fluted on these?

I went with the LRMP Breechplug, modules, & bolt nose from Arrowhead. Has anyone had the bolt fluted on these?

Barrels are normally fluted to save on weight, and it also increases the surface area which can promote faster cooling.

Based on the thickness of a bolt body, and its function, I do not see an advantage to fluting it.

However, I do understand the fact that it is pleasing to the eye.

I have seen it done staying away from the slot - got some others to ask about it. Trying to keep the weight down. I not its not shaving a ton, but it all adds up.

Pac Nor will pull a barrel for you. A few years back I had a Howa to rebarrel, and I was short on time. While I was ordering the barrel, I mentioned I still had to make the proper wrench and barrel bushing. The tech at Pac Nor suggested sending the action and barrel in. They pulled the barrel and returned the action for a slight charge.
If you pull the barrel yourself, the wooden blocks Midway sells may or may not work. They get trashed pretty regular on the net. I built a similar setup and junked it after the first use.
Sugar works as well as rosin to prevent the barrel from slipping in the vise. You may also need heat as Remington barrels are put on with some variation of Loctite.
A guy going by the name of Spearchucker used to post in the gunsmithing forum on the Practical Machinist site. If you search there you may be able to find his old posts on rebarreling. There was a lot of good info in his posts.
Sorry I do not know more about the ML part of your project.

Thanks for the help, I figured this won't be the last one I take off & decided to get the tools to do it. Thanks for the sugar tip! I will check out practical machinist!

Yes, those Factory Rem 700 ML barrels can be a Bear to get off. A good soaking with Kroil & a wrapping of Drywall Tape in your Vise works very well especially if the Factory barrel is to be Sold.

Last edited:
I'll try that as this barrel is 1 of the better one's I have looked down. Has anyone used a 700 trigger with the safety that locks the bolt so it can't open? I need to pickup a trigger and always thought that would be nice.

You may not want to use one of those Pre ‘83 Triggers as they were Recalled due to Accidental Discharges 💥🚑

Update! - sent my pac-nor barrel blank back to pacnor for a diet. Recountoured, threaded the shank, fluted, cut to length & crowned. It had been there 6 months so I am glad to get it back so I can move forward with this build. I still need to thread & counterbore the chamber - they said they hadn't replaced those tools yet. Still want to get the barreled action nitrided & might ceracoat the bolt.

Latest posts

Back