After Christmas hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Hello all:

I wish I could post an image of a nice fork horn or eight pointer I have on a trail camera but I don't . Today after work I dressed in my hunting clothes, day pack ad TC Contender 50 caliber inline muzzleloader.

I had my wife spray me down with scent killer as I walked out the back door of the house. Down the wooded hill dragging a scent drag with Bob Kirshner's Trailmaker to a ground blind I constructed against a large spruce tree on the east side of an old logging road that borders a swampy brook. I have had deer use that little road on my property and I have a recent image of a small fork horn at legal shooting light in the afternoon. I was hoping he'd make a little mistake and show up tonight.

At 400 PM I could hear something to the north by northwest where the road starts. Soon I spotted movement. I got into position with the Contender. The barrel and forearm resting on my left knee with the AR style stock in my shoulder. Red dot at no 2 setting. Not to bright but not too dull. Just right. I have a 100 grain charge of Blackhorn 209 under a 250 grain Hornady XTP sabot ready to launch.

I was hoping it was the buck but it was the big doe and her yearling. Both of them walked directly towards my position and did not notice me as I was frozen in time, so to speak. Bear in mind I am wearing a solid hunter orange Ideal ten mile cloth parka and a hunter orange stocking cap. That is my lucky cap as it was a gift from one of my eighth graders many years ago. I shot a lot of deer wearing that hat so it has a special place in my heart, so to speak.

The two were about twenty yards in front of me. The mother was looking at me intently but did not really seem to be in a panic. She was looking and walking to the south of me while her yearling doe was less than ten yards in front of me. I could have taken either one at any time but I made a promise to myself that on my little piece of land I will not take the "life givers". The bucks are fair game.

The mother doe began her "dance" . She walked slowly to the south but still upwind of me. She did the stomp. Several times she stomped her front hooves into the soft ground of the spruce grove trying to get me to move. Her yearling was now milling about and was about ten feet from me. She did not seem to know what I was. She had a distinctive diamond mark on her forehead. The mother seems to have a nice white collar around her neck.

The two went to the south west of my ground blind. Again the "dance" and the little one started. I was still as a statue. This whole thing went on for a solid twenty minutes. One thing I noticed was that the scent drag that I used was hanging in a tree near the mother doe. She did not seem to care one bit about it.

Soon the two were somewhat behind me and I think the got a whiff of my BO. WOOSH WOOSH went the doe blowing as she must have confirmed that I was a hostile in her presence. Again WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH. The two ran off as I saw a big white flag.

I figured it was over and now legal quitting time. I picked up my puffy seat and tied it to my day pack. I picked up my scent drag and walked back on the deer track studded trail to my home where my beloved wife is cooking up a storm.

In a way I am happy but I do wish that buck would have shown it's face. I have until the 31st then it will be another whole year before the ritual of the hunt begins again.

Even a day in the woods where you get to experience the deer in direct contact with you is always worth it in my book. Them old does didn't get old by being stupid as my Dad likes to say. But they sure often or not do some stupid things. But they are sure fun to watch.

Better luck next time out.

Back