After Deer Season Ends... Who still shoots inlines?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maine's 2-Week Blackpowder late season for deer ended last week. It was 7 degrees out when I left the house and I stayed in the woods all day (10+ hours). Was also out there for 5 hours each on the 2 preceding days (and 50+ hours during the rifle season too).

Anyway, I saw 2 does on Friday about 110 yards out, but no shot was possible... Thus, no deer meat this year... :(

So now what...........

* Do you guys all put your inlines away until September or October of next year?

* Do you shoot it occasionally during spring/summer to keep familiar with it or tune it up?

* Do you carry it/use it during the regular rifle season "just because"?

I've got some $$ invested in my Omega and Leupold Scope, plus all the gear, and I'm thinking it would be a shame to just warehouse it for 11 loooooooooong months.........................

I suppose I could use it for coyotes this winter -- but that sure might leave a mark on the pelt!!! :shock:

What do you all do???

Old No7

Mostly just test bullets, and shoot paper, gongs, and water jugs at longer range. Another thing i do is verify my rifle loaded for months, shoots the same as when it is loaded for one day.

I shoot prairie dogs for practice. Keep the small bores handy for fur bearers tho shot a coyote with the 54 last spring it was less than fur friendly to say the least.

I shoot my rifles year round, mainly because I just enjoy shooting. I mainly shoot from the bench, often times trying different bullets, sabots and powder combinations. Sometimes I have friends over for the day and we shoot all of our firearms, fire up the grill and exchange lies. For a change of pace, I occasionally head to the field for some stump shooting . Illinois has a firearm deer season and a separate muzzleloader season. Only shotguns, pistols and muzzleloaders are allowed during firearm season. They also have 2 weekends that are late firearm seasons in January. Any unfilled permits can be used for antlerless only deer. I have always used my muzzleladers for all the firearm seasons.

My inlines are all I have, excepting my reliable P53 Enfield ,which is used exclusively for Yankees.During the off season, I punch a lot of paper. I just scoped my 45, so there may be some varmints in danger this spring/summer. Never hunted anything but big game with my frontstuffers.

I used to shoot all year long, but age is starting to show and winters appear to be getting rougher. Early spring when I need to shoot, its impossible to get on the range for long range shooting, but I'll start on my own 100yd range if the snow depth will allow.

I almost gave up centerfire completely, even shotgun. But I really only shoot when its below ~65, maybe 70. when summer comes, I'm just a human sprinkler system, and pretty much just call it fishing season.

I shoot almost every week all year long. Having an Inline Match in May if interested.

I love shooting in the winter if temps moderate. At least high 30's with no wind. Good time to try different load combos. Usually the range is pretty much deserted especially during the week.

Grouse , You and Gordy need to make it to Friendship in May or June. How is he doing?

Old No7 said:
Maine's 2-Week Blackpowder late season for deer ended last week. It was 7 degrees out when I left the house and I stayed in the woods all day (10+ hours). Was also out there for 5 hours each on the 2 preceding days (and 50+ hours during the rifle season too).

Anyway, I saw 2 does on Friday about 110 yards out, but no shot was possible... Thus, no deer meat this year... :(

So now what...........

* Do you guys all put your inlines away until September or October of next year?

Heck no! - I shoot my inlines all year just for practice and testing - love shooting them

* Do you shoot it occasionally during spring/summer to keep familiar with it or tune it up?

* Do you carry it/use it during the regular rifle season "just because"?

I hunt all season with a ML including the rifle season - heck it is a rifle :)

I've got some $$ invested in my Omega and Leupold Scope, plus all the gear, and I'm thinking it would be a shame to just warehouse it for 11 loooooooooong months.........................

One of my favorite activities is to shoot clay birds placed at different ranges for testing and practice. I purchase the biodegradable birds and shoot the heck out of them

I setup something like this and just enjoy the day...

Then every once in awhile you shoot the heart right out of the bird and you think you are really good!

I suppose I could use it for coyotes this winter -- but that sure might leave a mark on the pelt!!! :shock:

What do you all do???

Old No7

And of course there is always shooting targets - but I really prefer breaking the birds...

Except for varmints, the vast majority of my hunting is done with inline muzzleloaders. i attempt to hunt hogs at least one day every week. For many years my most used muzzleloader was the .50 Encore. The .50 TC Black Diamond now gets used the most.

I have to shoot thru the winter or else cabin fever would get the best of me and I would surely die. I don't usually shoot unless its 25 degrees or warmer. I must be getting soft in my old days.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

shoot my muzzle loaders year around .... got a marlin 336 35 rem set up to deer hunt with. cannot bring my self to hunt with it... like hunting with my 52 cal knight... WORM

Interesting topic as the NRA-BP and NMLRA goals are to increase shooting- according to the NMLRA president when he recently met with the NRA.
For me: the past few years it's been in-line all hunting season and year round. Only exception is when original ML or BP rifles come out.
ML matches in 2017: March, April, May, June, September and October, not to include BP Cart rifle.
Certainly there are ML matches in Maine? - if not, start one at your local range.

I shoot mine year round. I do most of my bullet testing and load development after deer season in January thru March then take a break in April for turkey season.

I had planned to take a trip to the WV range while the warden was out of town, but not with wind chills in single digits or below 0! The only range I now have access to in WV, closes the end of Dec. and doesn't reopen till May 1st, which is crazy, but its national forest an out of state so have to live with it.

I do plan to shoot more next year than I did this past year, mostly muzzleloaders. Guess that will be my New Years resolution!! I haven't even shot the Optima V2 rifle very much yet!

Latest posts

Back