After working on the Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I ordered my own Mountain Rifle flintlock kit :slaps: :slaps:

Maple stripe the hell out of the stock, french blue/gray the barrel. polish the hell out of the trigger and lock works, bed the tang and trigger, completely bed the entire barrel channel. And replace that nasty factory rear sight.

Most likely going to use a cva bobcat rear sight. Its a semi buckhorn and I will use a jewelers file and open it up. I put one on my last 2 mountain rifles and it was just a huge improvement.

How do you plan to maple stripe that hardwood stock? I for one really like traditions rifles and the few I have owned and still own are good rifles. Most don't know it but they have some of the smoothest, best rifled BP barrels I have seen for production guns. 

Good luck with your build. I like the adjustable rear sights that come on the Lyman GP rifles. I think they cost arouns $25. I saw them for sale somewhere not long ago but dern if I can remember where.

I second the statement about the quality of Traditions barrels.  I've owned a few, killed deer & small game with them and they are good guns.   
:2 cents:

Back