Aging Eyes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been a few years since I studied this, but I am not completely senile yet so this should be close to accurate. Your eyes focus in two manners. The changing size of the pupil with changes in light, and the flexing of the lens.
The biggest problem for us old farts is the thickening or harding of the lens resulting in less flex.
The whole object of the flexing of the lens is to focus incoming light on the optic nerve. In youth clear vision occurs principally by the flexing of the lens thereby directing incoming light onto the optic nerve.
Generally speaking, near or far sightedness is caused by the light being directed off center of the optic nerve. The degree the light missing the optic nerve is the degree of impairment. If I recall correctly, the light hits above the optic nerve in far sighted people.
An older person is generally better off with a shorter barreled handgun putting both sight close to the same focal plane. With a long gun, a peep that can be looked through with out worrying about focusing on it and a front sight far enough away to be in focus is usually the best option.
I am so far sighted that I would have to have a 5 foot barrel to see the front sight clearly.
My ageing eyes seem a bit more blurry when I'm physically tired, and don't adjust as well to lower light. Both an issue when hunting. I got a Merit adjustable aperture for my peep last season, and really like it. I dial it down small in full daylight, and open it up in lower light, or close cover. I think it should also be helpful when focusing is a challenge.
Just read about the Merit Variable Aperture disc...did the demo they suggested and this looks to be a great solution. And very reasonably priced as well! Thank you

I have owned Merits for 20 years or better. I am now at the point where I have to close them down as far as possible to resolve the front sight. Target shooting off a bench, that works fairly well, hunting, not so much.

I have owned Merits for 20 years or better. I am now at the point where I have to close them down as far as possible to resolve the front sight. Target shooting off a bench, that works fairly well, hunting, not so much.
MVA has a Hadley disc for the Tang. not a shutter system but several variable size holes and a dial to rotate one into the center position. Same principle I guess but roughly 2x more than a Merit disc. Sounds like a peep with variable aperture is the next step. Thanks

The only good thing about being extremely farsighted is that with one's glasses off one can look in the mirror and not see wrinkles.
I am nearsighted and the only good physical thing about getting older is that one's eye ball tends to become less football shaped and more round so as the lens gets stiffer, one's nearsightedness tends to improve. I've worn glasses since the 6th grade and trifocals after 45 but at age 64 at my drivers test renewal I passed the vision test WITHOUT glasses!! Unfortunately, at night, there are still prominent halos and streaks around lights from my unfixable astigmatism...win some/lose some

Front sights getting a bit blurry. Glasses correct but then the rear sight is not clear. Thinking of adding MVA Vernier Tang or a mid range Buffalo Soule and an MVA spirit level w/o windage front sight. Thoughts, recommendations, stupid idea...??
My Experience: 70 this year. 40 when I needed my first RX glasses. As my eyes have gotten worse I now wear a progressive bifocal + astigmatism correction. After reading here many years ago I put a peep rear on and life got better. Problem is front sights. I have posts and beads and have major problem in low light. Glow paints haven't helped because there's not enough light. If I am looking thru a notch sight, I have to move my eye L-R to make sure the bead is centered due to my astigmatism as it makes it fuzzy and "y" shaped. I'm in the process of putting a scope on my traditional ML and moving the peeps to another gun.
It is correct that you focus on the front sight. That's why I'm am working on a solution for that and I will post any positive results here as this is a common Q
A note on peeps. The smallest = good groups + need good light. The largest =Low light & hunting. One thing I will respectfully disagree with is taking the aperture out all together. For me it tends to really "fuzz out" too much partially due to the cylinder the aperture being longer providing a little more definition.
In the end we all have different eyes and there are no one solutron fits all , but a scope comes the closest although not PC.

I will also add you've been getting some good advise here.

My Experience: 70 this year. 40 when I needed my first RX glasses. As my eyes have gotten worse I now wear a progressive bifocal + astigmatism correction. After reading here many years ago I put a peep rear on and life got better. Problem is front sights. I have posts and beads and have major problem in low light. Glow paints haven't helped because there's not enough light. If I am looking thru a notch sight, I have to move my eye L-R to make sure the bead is centered due to my astigmatism as it makes it fuzzy and "y" shaped. I'm in the process of putting a scope on my traditional ML and moving the peeps to another gun.
It is correct that you focus on the front sight. That's why I'm am working on a solution for that and I will post any positive results here as this is a common Q
A note on peeps. The smallest = good groups + need good light. The largest =Low light & hunting. One thing I will respectfully disagree with is taking the aperture out all together. For me it tends to really "fuzz out" too much partially due to the cylinder the aperture being longer providing a little more definition.
In the end we all have different eyes and there are no one solutron fits all , but a scope comes the closest although not PC.

I will also add you've been getting some good advise here.
Re: advice -> absolutely correct! Re: peep vs other .. looks like at 70 a peep will probably be a short lived solution. I have scopes on my smokeless guns and on 1 BPML -- for the Hawken would prefer to keep it looking more traditional --

Eye dominance is also a factor. With pistols, we taught "both eyes open" because unless both eyes are open, you lose depth of field. Many don't realize we are either "right eyed" or "left eyed" regardless of whether right-handed or left-handed. Cast-off stocks are a cure seldom seen but are a solution, albeit an expensive one.

Checking for eye dominance is easy. Extend arm, make fist, extend thumb upward. With both eyes open, focus on thumb. Close one eye, then the other. The direction to which the thumb appears to move is the dominant eye.

With open sights or shooting a shotgun with a single bead front sight, eye dominance is important b/c the sight picture/alignment is at quite a different angle depending on which eye you're sighting with. Taught combat pistol and combat shotgun around 25 years, saw this problem "diagnosed" in more than a few cases. Once shooters determined their dominant eye, scores improved quite a bit.

I am saddled with both near and far sighted eyes. Need 1 pair for reading and another for driving. I'm going with a Johnson rear peep sight for my Traditions Kentucky.
peep2.jpg

I have Macular Degeration in both eyes the left is the worse I get shots in the eye The center of everything has a black circle The right eyes is not as bad yet just a matter of time When I look through the scope with my right eye the verticle line is wavy it straightens out pretty quick Old age sucks

Yea I'm hanging in there retired now just getting back into my muzzleloader stuff hunting after all this crap going on enjoy my bow hunting and muzzleloader stuff got away from shot gun stuff anymore really enjoy this site

I have Macular Degeration in both eyes the left is the worse I get shots in the eye The center of everything has a black circle The right eyes is not as bad yet just a matter of time When I look through the scope with my right eye the verticle line is wavy it straightens out pretty quick Old age sucks
I also get a shot every six weeks in my right eye (I use for shooting) and my sister had Macular Degeration. But I think old age is better than dead. I've lost alot of friends. Good luck.

My eyes have aged. I use scopes or red dot scopes everywhere except on a steel site pistol.
In the last few years better life style has improved my site. My impoved eating habits and exercise helped plus I retired which reduced stress.
I use lined bifocals transition in sports frame style for all activities.
All my shooting is better than ever because of clear vision and time to practice and improve methods with tuning .
It's not perfect but 20-20 at 71 ain't bad.

Last edited:
My eyes have aged. I use scopes or red dot scopes everywhere except on a steel site pistol.
In the last few years better life style has proved my site. My impoved eating habits and exercise helped plus I retired which reduced stress.
I use lined bifocals transition in sports frame style for all activities.
All my shooting is better than ever because of clear vision and time to to practice and improve methods with tuning .
It's not perfect but 20-20 at 71 ain't bad.
Well I hope I can see as well as you at that age hell I hope I make it to that age 😅

Latest posts

Back