aging venison

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordfisher

Reaction score
I'm 39 and New to M/L and hunting. Searched many forums and this seems to be a great place THanx all.
Question, our first M/L season is quite early in the fall and usually very warm weather. My uncle out west told me that deer can be quartered and put into garbage bags, set in a refrigerator for 14 days and this will age them. He said he just trims the bad meat and its great. I thought that they needed to hang to be aged correctly and the 14 days in a fridge seems a little scary, any advice from you seasoned hunters.
Thanx

I live in East Texas and it never gets cold enought to let one hang for several days. I do one of two things. Gut the deer, clean it up, leave the hide on and hang it in a buddy's locker plant for a week or so, then trim it out. The other I do most of the time is quarter the deer up, put lots of ice in the cooler and fill it with water. You HAVE to drain it several times a day. I do that for 3 days and then trim it out. Really take the blood out.

That's the way I do it. Up north you might have more options.

I have never even gone as long as one full week aging venison, so 14 days definitely sounds a little scary to me!

That said, there is a fact to remember that would make most health-department types die from shock. That is, spoiled meat will hurt you in one of two ways: either the excessive numbers of germs infect your body and cause you to become ill (perhaps very ill), or, if the meat has become very spoiled with some of the worse types of microorganisms, it may have toxins (poisons) already in it (botulism, for instance). If it's the latter, there's nothing you can do to it to make it safe to it. If it's the former, and you kill all of the germs before consuming it, you should be none the worse for it. Since the vast majority of micro-organisms give off odors and or bad flavors as they grow and reproduce, I just toss any meat that smells bad or is particularly discolored. If it doesn't taste or smell bad, I don't worry about it. If it smells only faintly "off" but not enough to say, "Yeah, it's spoiled," then I cook it REALLY, VERY well (best way to do that is by boiling, in stew for instance, or frying in ground beef), making CERTAIN it has reached sufficient temperature to kill all bacteria and viruses. If it tastes bad though, what's the point? Toss it.

I like my steaks well-seared on the outside, but dark pink and juicy on the inside, so I make sure that roasts and steaks smell like nice, fresh meat when I cook them.

Around here, it is rarely cold enough during hunting season to just hang a deer. So, I skin and quarter it the night I shoot it. I get a large Coleman cooler and put a layer of ice across the bottom, sprinkle salt on the ice, then fit a couple of shoulders or hams to make one layer of meat. I then sprinkle salt liberally over the meat. It shouldn't look like it has snowed (we're not pickling it), but there should be enough that it won't just be rinsed off immediately by melting ice. I then completely cover it with another layer of ice and add the remaining quarters/backstraps/neck, etc., sprinkle with salt, and cover with ice. (I use approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of a regular old Morton salt box with the flip-up metal pour-spout per deer/cooler of ice.) Tenderloins are cut up and frozen (or hopefully eaten) the same day.

Put the cooler in the shade in a spot where it can drain. Leave the drain plug open so the bloody water never accumulates. Check it at least once a day (preferably twice a day) and add ice enough to make sure that all pieces of meat stay surrounded by ice. Sprinkle with salt anytime you add ice.

Just like your ice cream maker on the Fourth of July, this will keep the meat right at or even just below freezing. Bacteria will have a hard time growing very much as long as you keep all meat SURROUNDED by ice.

The salt will create a saline environment that hinders (I did not say stops) bacterial growth (like the ocean or a jar of pickles). Just as importantly, you are using osmosis to draw blood out of the outer layers of the meat where bacteria is most likely to be growing. That more-bacteria laden water will then be drained away with the melting ice water.

Using this method, my venison typically stays in teh cooler for 4 to 5 days--mainly until the hunting weekend is over and I have time to get down to the business of butchering. Sometimes the wait is a little shorter; occasionally as longs as just shy of one week. Now, I once had some family and work emergencies come up and left one rear quarter in the cooler for two weeks; it wasn't edible. :wink:

The most important points of processing your own venison are to remove ALL fat and ALL the connective tissue and sinew that you can. That thin slimy tissue between the muscles should go as much as possible. "Silver skin" should go unless you're grinding it. I will sometimes leave one internal vein of "silver skin" in my stew meat, but that means it will need to cook longer. Any meat that is discolored should go (dark reddish-brown is probably okay for grind or stew, as long as it doesn't smell bad; anything green, purple, or other colors should go). Anything that smells bad should go. Bone out all of your meat.

Also, IMO, it's far easier to fully trim it cut it into individual steaks, roasts, stir fry, kabobs, or stew chunks now, instead of having to trim on it a little more when you thaw it to cook with.

If you do it right, there should not be ANY gamey taste. I have never once served venison, even to people that supposedly HATE it, without having them exclaim that they can't believe that it's not farm raised beef filet minion. Most of my venison you can cut with a fork, even off of 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks. It just doesn't get any better than that. As long as you've got mashed potatoes to go with it, of course. ;)

thanx for the tips, my friend who has taught me a lot about deer hunting took me gun hunting behind my house in Dec and he got a nice doe and gave her to me. Due to time and him wanting to show me how to process her we skinned her, cut her up and had her in the freezer that night. He was very careful to cut off all the sinew and fat and not to contaminate the carcass bringing her from the kill spot to the barn. The meat is delicious (no gamey taste) but just a little tough. She was a young doe too. Thats why i'm interested in aging. I like tender steaks and roasts. I have to agree with my buddy, his mantra is "the trophy's on the plate" Love venison, I will try the cooler next year. THanx again

The longest I've ever hung a deer is a week. I have access to a cooler though.

Mountain Man said:
I it may have toxins (poisons) already in it (botulism, for instance). If it's the latter, there's nothing you can do to it to make it safe to it.

{I'm editing to say that I totally agree with the rest of Mountain Man's post. Trim all fat, sinew and "silver membrane" PRIOR to freezing.}

Correct me if I'm wrong, but botulism is a spore and though it does create toxins, boiling for 10 minutes will kill these toxins. Not that people want to boil their venison or even risk poisoning for that matter, but you can prevent food borne illnesses by cooking thoroughly.

To pose a question to the original question, what do you intend to do with the meat? If you plan on making burger and sausage, you really don't need to age it. Agings' main goal is to tenderize the meat for things like steaks. Grinding accomplishes this in short order. :D

Me, I like to bone the whole deer out, place it in a large stainless steel pot and put it in the refrigerator. Then, you can slowly trim and freeze pieces of it over the course of a week.

As to the use of plastic garbage bags to store meat, I noticed that some of them say right on the package that they are not for food storage purposes. I guess they might be hinting that they will not guarntee their product to be sterile.

Under 36 degrees in the SHADE,you can hang 3-5 days,if your end goal is tender tasty steaks. If the temps. rises above that magical 36 degrees you either have to quarter and ice down and tend to it with in 3 days or refridgerate it and take care of it within the week.If your end goal is burger, bone it, chill it, grind it, freeze it!

I do the following. After shooting a deer, I take it home, skin it while still warm, then take the meat off the bone and some cuts cut into steaks. The remainder will be used for jerky or sausage, so hanging to tenderize is not necessary. Steaks are also frozen right away. When I want to use them I take them out days in advance and let them thaw and tenderize in the fridge. It's my understanding that hanging a deer, or any other animal, serves one purpose. That's to allow for natural process of rigormortis. When an animal dies it sets in, then relaxes. The process happens several time. Freezing the meat only delays the process. Allowing the meat to tenderize in fridge for a couple of days should eliminate it and meat should be tender. Just MO.

Venison (most wild game) does not age, it rots, Unlike a beef which has a lot of fat( marbleing) between the muscles it does help to let hang. however you can keep venison for quite awhile if its kept cool ,but it is not aging. There are a ton of articles on this if you do a little searching.
Redclub

I mainly use the meat for steaks and roasts. But even after cooking all day in the crock pot she still didnt seem to be reeeeeal tender. Next year I'll probably make jerky out of a lot of the roasts so I guess tenderizing wont matter with that. The reason I bought my ML was to extend hunting season here, gun season is only two weeks and I dont get a lot of time to hunt. :( So with ML I get two extra seasons and would love to get three or more does this coming year. Saw three nice does 150 yrds behind my house this morning in the fresh snow, was a pretty sight. Anyway, I never imagined shooting being so much fun, I love my disc elite and depending how well I do with it early ML season I may use it though modern gun season as well.

Mountain Man
Great post I have never tried the salt trick.
Redclub

charlie said:
The above site of the Pennsylvania Game Comm. has 5 or 6 videos on game preparation and cooking by a master chef that likes to hunt and eat game.
I would rate then as excellent and well worth purchasing.

charlie

Are those the ones with an european-ish guy, fairly hairy, who has a skinny girl about 18 as an assistant, and they show you to wrap the venison in a combination of plastic wrap and butcher paper?

I quarter as soon as possible. Usualy while still somewhat wark, and then leave the meat in the fridge 3-4 days before finishing.

"Are those the ones with an european-ish guy, fairly hairy, who has a skinny girl about 18 as an assistant, and they show you to wrap the venison in a combination of plastic wrap and butcher paper?"

Mountain Man,

That is a good question. It might be. I do not remember any girl but I think the Chef came here from Europe. His name is Milos Cihelka. Probably was same guy on another tape. It's been a few years since I viewed them. Maybe it is the one that I don't have :? He does wrap with plastic and butcher paper.

charlie

charlie, Thanx for that sight w/ the vids. I think I might get at least a couple of them, however itsays their out of the one though. Might have to wait. :cry:
nate

Mountain man wrote

"Are those the ones with an european-ish guy, fairly hairy, who has a skinny girl about 18 as an assistant, and they show you to wrap the venison in a combination of plastic wrap and butcher paper?"

Now what were you watching in the video? :shock:

cur_dog said:
Mountain man wrote

Now what were you watching in the video? :shock:

Guess my age is showing :wink: I wasn't even sure that I would have remembered a girl. :cry: NOW THAT IS SAD! :D :oops:

charlie

The girl that he had a special guest appearance for just so she could show everyone how to wrap plastic wrap and butcher paper around venison was not particularly attractive, as I recall. I recall that because it just seemed really odd that he had a special guest just to demonstrate paper-wrapping technique.

If it is the same guy, he has some REALLY good pointers on processing venison efficiently. HOWEVER, don't take everything he does as the gospel, IMO. Instead of cutting between the muscles so as to rid the meat of connective tissue and "silver skin," he cuts through these muscle-to-muscle layers and leaves a lot of connective tissue (gristle).

Redclub said:
Venison (most wild game) does not age, it rots, Unlike a beef which has a lot of fat( marbleing) between the muscles it does help to let hang. however you can keep venison for quite awhile if its kept cool ,but it is not aging. There are a ton of articles on this if you do a little searching.
Redclub
I have to agree with this I have had a couple butchers tell me this. I have let them hang in temps of 45 during the day and down in the upper 20s at night for over a week, this is in a shed though with no sunlight.

Latest posts

Back