aging venison

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so what is aging meat if it is not rotting (the meat beginning the process of breaking down) It sounds crude but I kind of thought that aging was the beginning of rotting or breaking down naturally. I would think hanging the carcass would let gravity speed the process up a little, my dad used to work at a slaughter house and they would age the beef while hanging. I'm just curious because if aging is rotting than it seems like it could be done safely in a refrigerator but if deer meat doesnt age, but does rot then the only aging that would help would be by hanging in a meat locker or a cool shed. Hope that makes sense. :d'oh!:

We gut, wash out, skin, and hang in the cooler ASAP. My dad and uncles went in on a walk in cooler about 15 years ago that's probably 4' W x 6' L x 6' H inside dimensions. If you pack them in tight you can fit 12 average size deer in it. We usually have a butchering party twice during the firearms season. On average we let them hang 5 days at about 0-10 degrees F.

At 0 - 10 F you should be freezing them. Most coolers where meat is hung to tenderize is just over the freezing IMO

RAF:

My bad. You are exactly right. At 0 - 10 F they would freeze. I was thinking "C" and hit "F". The cooler normally runs at about 35 - 38 F.

I see I'm kinda late with this, but here's what I do:
Always skin it ASAP. If the weather is right, I hang it in my own garage for 7-10 days. As has been stated, best temp is between 34-36 degrees.
If it's warm, I have already located someone who processes deer at his home - he has a cooler. I can take my skinned deer in a cheesecloth game bag to him and he'll hang it for me for $1.00 per day. If you can't find a home processer, even some of the "commercial" processers will do that for you.
I always cut all meat from the bone and remove all fat and connective tissue - never cut through a bone that will drag the marrow across the meat. We have had people who "don't like" venison ask for more after eating ours - and it's nice and tender.

IM jaybe :)

Latest posts

Back