Airguns! What are you shootin?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive been reduced to shootin my two PCP pellet guns. A Benjamin Discovery .22. And a Gamo Urban. So far ive modified the Disco but not the Urban yet. Mods so far are a large bore gauge port for more flow. polished the bore. Light trigger spring and travel stop screws. Better valve screws to hold higher pressure. A pressure adjust. A second barrel band which has done the most to improve accuracy. And a muzzle adapter so i can put a silencer (LDC) on it.
Not highend guns but a blast to shoot.

Just a Gamo .177cal for vermin and such around the house.
Just trashed another scope on it ;)
I have a friend trying to get me into some of this new big bore stuff. The vermin around here isn't that big :)

Just a Gamo .177cal for vermin and such around the house.
Just trashed another scope on it ;)
I have a friend trying to get me into some of this new big bore stuff. The vermin around here isn't that big :)
I put a new scope on my crossbow and put the old one on the airgun. Its holding up well so far. But its not a springer gun.

@idahoron See’s this, He has a REALLY Nice Air Rifle :lewis:

I have a Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk .177 Cal Springer Air Rifle that has been a Good one, I can hit a Small Gatorade Bottle at 100 Yards with it, Which is sorta the Equivalent to a Long range Shot with a Muzzleloader and BIG Lead :) I shoot the 10.5 Grain Crossman Dome Pellets, of all the other Brands/weights of Pellets I’ve tried, These Crossman Dome 10.5s perform the Best in my Rifle. My limited experience has been Slower is Better, The Lightweight HOTROD Pellets Sound Cool, But they don’t Shoot ANYWHERE near as Well in my Rifle, And they loose their “PAZAZZ” FAST, Where the Heavy 10.5 Shoots a Ragged Hole, and Keeps on Chuggin Accurately to 100 Yards (Again, a LOT like BIG lead in my Muzzleloaders)

This was back when i was playing with it at 100 Yards, this was actually a little over 100 Yards
ZyO1hBC.jpg

The Trigger in my Air Rifle Above is FLAT OUT Awesome!! But it wasn’t that way when i bought it, in fact it was HORRIBLE at best. I did a Trigger Mod to it that uses an RC Car Bearing, This trigger is AMAZING Now! About like my “Set Trigger” Muzzleloaders, It’s That Good :lewis:

I just got a .177 Benjamin Prowler (springer) about 3 months ago. Put a 2-7 Swift scope on that I took off of my 35 Whelen. Did a trigger job and bought an assortment of pellets. Seems to shoot all fairly well. Settled on Crosman 7.9gr. hollow points because they shoot great and are cheap from Wally world. Less than $6.00 for 500. During small game season I had a lot of squirrels at me deer blind so I would go out and sit for them. Some squirrels died on contact, others made it about 20 yards or so before giving up.

I was amazed at the power these guns have. I was being a little casual with it until I set up a Campbells Soup can and shot it. Clean through both sides. So I set up 2 cans in a row and it makes it through 3 sides. Find the pellet mashed up in the second can. I chronographed mine with the hollow points at 900 fps.

For $118.00, an existing scope, and $20.00 in pellets its a pile of fun.

Last edited:
I have a couple of 45 yr old Crosman 1400 22cal pumps that I rebuilt. They double as exercise devices due to the effort required to pump these old workhorses. They shoot really well for old pump guns but the iron sights limit my effectiveness. I tried scope mounts decades ago but the clamp-on design was not very reliable in my experience. Still fun at my age (60) to plink small targets off the back deck.

Last edited:
I got an old Benjamin 22 pump that for years and years there was no other models . I think i was maybe 9 or 10 when Dad got it for me . I even had a bullet trap in our basement . Long hours spent there !!! I couldnt even pump it past 6 times when i first got it . With its max pump of 9 strokes it is powerfull enough that i shot clear through a opposums head on Grannys farm !!! I was about 25yds away . I dunno how it compares to the new ones today but that seems pretty stout ?? There is no way to put a scope on it so it sits alot now . I still oil its leather seals . At least 51 or 52 yrs old and still works and still nice shape . Walnut stocks , blued brass barrel , reciever , and all .
Back in the day it and the Sheradin 5mm were the Cadillacs of them all . I was a lucky boy !!! My Dad was just wonderfull to me for gettin good grades in school .

Last edited:
I have an old Gamo Hunter in .177 that came with a BSA "Rimfire" scope. The scope just gave out on me two weeks ago, so I am using the fiberoptic open sights.

I had taken either 3 or 4 rabbits from the yard this past rabbit season as Mama has declared war on them for nipping off her Lilac bush shoots.

I have on my wish list to get a .177 PCP and I am leaning toward the Umarex Gauntlet because of the regulator and they seem to be pretty accurate before any modding.

@idahoron See’s this, He has a REALLY Nice Air Rifle :lewis:

I have a Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk .177 Cal Springer Air Rifle that has been a Good one, I can hit a Small Gatorade Bottle at 100 Yards with it, Which is sorta the Equivalent to a Long range Shot with a Muzzleloader and BIG Lead :) I shoot the 10.5 Grain Crossman Dome Pellets, of all the other Brands/weights of Pellets I’ve tried, These Crossman Dome 10.5s perform the Best in my Rifle. My limited experience has been Slower is Better, The Lightweight HOTROD Pellets Sound Cool, But they don’t Shoot ANYWHERE near as Well in my Rifle, And they loose their “PAZAZZ” FAST, Where the Heavy 10.5 Shoots a Ragged Hole, and Keeps on Chuggin Accurately to 100 Yards (Again, a LOT like BIG lead in my Muzzleloaders)

This was back when i was playing with it at 100 Yards, this was actually a little over 100 Yards
ZyO1hBC.jpg
im finding the same thing. Cranked up to full power i have ok accuracy. At about half power on my adjuster i get the best groups. I can only shoot to 55-60yds at my house

I just got a .177 Benjamin Prowler (springer) about 3 months ago. Put a 2-7 Swift scope on that I took off of my 35 Whelen. Did a trigger job and bought an assortment of pellets. Seems to shoot all fairly well. Settled on Crosman 7.9gr. hollow points because they shoot great and are cheap from Wally world. Less than $6.00 for 500. During small game season I had a lot of squirrels at me deer blind so I would go out and sit for them. Some squirrels died on contact, others made it about 20 yards or so before giving up.

I was amazed at the power these guns have. I was being a little casual with it until I set up a Campbells Soup can and shot it. Clean through both sides. So I set up 2 cans in a row and it makes it through 3 sides. Find the pellet mashed up in the second can. I chronographed mine with the hollow points at 900 fps.

For $118.00, an existing scope, and $20.00 in pellets its a pile of fun.
some of these are better than a .22 rifle.

I have an old Gamo Hunter in .177 that came with a BSA "Rimfire" scope. The scope just gave out on me two weeks ago, so I am using the fiberoptic open sights.

I had taken either 3 or 4 rabbits from the yard this past rabbit season as Mama has declared war on them for nipping off her Lilac bush shoots.

I have on my wish list to get a .177 PCP and I am leaning toward the Umarex Gauntlet because of the regulator and they seem to be pretty accurate before any modding.
Im hoping someday to get a Benjamin Marauder

I got an old Benjamin 22 pump that for years and years there was no other models . I think i was maybe 9 or 10 when Dad got it for me . I even had a bullet trap in our basement . Long hours spent there !!! I couldnt even pump it past 6 times when i first got it . With its max pump of 9 strokes it is powerfull enough that i shot clear through a opposums head on Grannys farm !!! I was about 25yds away . I dunno how it compares to the new ones today but that seems pretty stout ?? There is no way to put a scope on it so it sits alot now . I still oil its leather seals . At least 51 or 52 yrs old and still works and still nice shape . Walnut stocks , blued brass barrel , reciever , and all .
Back in the day it and the Sheradin 5mm were the Cadillacs of them all . I was a lucky boy !!! My Dad was just wonderfull to me for gettin good grades in school .
Those old pumpers were awesome. You could literally pump up some models til the seals blew out. The had almost no limit on pressure except how long you kept at it.

I have a couple of 45 yr old Crosman 1200 22cal pumps that I rebuilt. They double as exercise devices due to the effort required to pump these old workhorses. They shoot really well for old pump guns but the iron sights limit my effectiveness. I tried scope mounts decades ago but the clamp-on design was not very reliable in my experience. Still fun at my age (60) to plink small targets off the back deck.
i believe that Williams makes a pretty decent peep sight for airguns. that might help you a bit.

Latest posts

Back