All set

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to use the 300 gr SSTs that I have sized for my Moutaineer but upon trying them they're too loose. Fortunately I have a new box that haven't been sized yet and after a bit of coaxing with a short starter I could push them down the bore with moderate pressure. Inspection once pushed all the way through shows nice rifling engraved on it.

I got the modules all primed and powder measured out. At Diablo's suggestion I started lower with the 300 gr bullet. I loaded up a bunch of tubes with 55 gr of IMR4198.
Before I did that though I weighed one charge and poured it down the tube and seated a bullet just to be sure I wasn't below my "don't go below mark" on my ramrod. I'm still have another half inch of rod left unti I reach that mark.
Here's the rifle. The orange flagging lets me know there's a charge in it.20231208_104939.jpg

I took it out this afternoon and it was shooting all over the place! After looking things over it the scope was slightly too far forward and was making contact with the rail. I'm hoping that was the issue. I really like the Crimson Trace scope.
I'm going to wait to finish sighting it in until I get my 250 gr bullets next week sometime.

I took it out this afternoon and it was shooting all over the place! After looking things over it the scope was slightly too far forward and was making contact with the rail. I'm hoping that was the issue. I really like the Crimson Trace scope.
I'm going to wait to finish sighting it in until I get my 250 gr bullets next week sometime.
Be sure your forarm is tight no movement if lose that can cause a problem.

SST’s have a thicker jacket and probably need a wad to get good obturation, either that, or they need a good kick in the pants. You should try a 250 grain TEZ with a veggie wad and 60 grains of 4198. Most likely, the TEZ’s will fit without sizing and may need a knurl for a good fit. That combo has shot well for me.

You could also try a thinned skinned XTP with a wad. Those usually shoot very well and would tell you if your scope may be an issue.

I use the 250 gr TEZ knurled with a dry wool wad. I have 2 duplex loads that I use with that bullet. One is around 32 ksi and the other is around 37 ksi.

I think there was an issue with the scope moving on me. If you look at the pic there is a gap between the back of the rail and the scope. After my last shot there was zero gap.

Yes, probably slipped in the rings then
I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I moved it back and torqued the rings down more than spec. I never had any trouble with Weaver rings. They always held. Problem is you can't get carried away with the aluminum rings or you'll strip out the threads in the holes.
I have some 300 gr bullets other than the SSTs. I have several boxes of T/C 300 gr Shockwaves that I use to use in my CVA Accura V2. These bullets have a softer jacket than the SSTs. The SSTs that are sized for my Knight Moutaineer are too loose for the Scout so I backed off my adjustable die a bit and ran one through then tested it in the bore and it started but a fairly light tap then went down the bore with a firm but steady push. Feels just right. Maybe I'll give them a shot on Sunday or definatel next week.
BTW I made my own block for from a 1 1/2" dowel to knock out the spent primers from the module. It was easy. A 5/8" paddle bit 1/8" deep for the module, a .210" hole all the way through, and a 5/8" hold on the other end about 1/2" deep to hold the spent primers.

Hi Clem. Congratulations on your new smokeless build. The last thing i do when installing a scope is to take a very sharp pencil and mark a line around the scope rings. I also place a short perpendicular mark across the scope ring onto the scope. These are timing marks and at a glance you can see if the scope has moved. Shorty

Hi Clem. Congratulations on your new smokeless build. The last thing i do when installing a scope is to take a very sharp pencil and mark a line around the scope rings. I also place a short perpendicular mark across the scope ring onto the scope. These are timing marks and at a glance you can see if the scope has moved. Shorty
I do the same thing (small marks) with a silver sharpie.

I got my barrel back from Jeff. I just finished installing the Crimson Trace Brushline scope. After my morning hunt tomorrow I'm going to try and get it sighted in with som 300 gr SSTs and 60 gr of IMR4198. if i get that done and don't tag out in the morning I'll use it in the evening snd Saturday.
How's the recoil with that load?

How's the recoil with that load?
With the muzzle brake its like shooting a .243. Same with the Scout .45-70 and 325 gr FTX bullets. I shoot a Marlin Guide Gun (ported) in .45-70 with 300 gr HPs and 51 gr of H4198 and that rifle knocks the snot out of you. This Scout is mild in both the .45-70 and SML conversion.
I didn't realize there was that much difference between a ported barrel and one with a muzzle brake. After seeing the results of shooting these 2 rifles, I'm getting a brake put on my Tikka T3 Lite 30-06.

With the muzzle brake its like shooting a .243. Same with the Scout .45-70 and 325 gr FTX bullets. I shoot a Marlin Guide Gun (ported) in .45-70 with 300 gr HPs and 51 gr of H4198 and that rifle knocks the snot out of you. This Scout is mild in both the .45-70 and SML conversion.
I didn't realize there was that much difference between a ported barrel and one with a muzzle brake. After seeing the results of shooting these 2 rifles, I'm getting a brake put on my Tikka T3 Lite 30-06.

Just be careful about shooting a brake with no ear protection. My father in law had a brake put on his encore in 270 win. He shot 5 deer in one morning and was rewarded with 70% hearing loss in one ear and 30% in his other.

Latest posts

Back