Alliant Black MZ - Measuring by Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
For those of you that are shooting Alliant Black MZ, I have worked out this scale to make it easier. I tested my powder measure with Blackhorn209 and it came within 1.5 grains of the provided info.​
Some like to measure their powder on a scale so they can eliminate +/- 1 to 4 grains and shoot more consistent. This really isn't a huge accuracy maker with this powder or even real black powder, but it is your choice and if you prefer to weigh your powder charges for the best consistency, below are the numbers that I came up with.​
No tapping on the powder measure was done for the provided powder weight.
100_2415.jpg
Alliant Black MZ
- Powder Volume - Weight Conversion -
V - Volume - W - Weight
50gr V = 41gr W
60gr V = 51gr W
70gr V = 59gr W
80gr V = 66gr W

This is pretty much in tune with the parent maker of this powder, American Pioneer. It weighs closer to Jim Shockey's Gold.​

I need some help, what can I use to calibrate my scale that is easy to get. I have a HERTERS beam type and it seems perfect to me but after working it out ( 35 gr of pyrodex P is 54grams and 35gr of alliant is 46 grams} that is using the same measure setting and no tapping?
that's 8 grams light. Can you point me in the right direction, if my scale is off then it is off the same for both powders and only an exact weight would not be a factor. The volume is determined by the measure and the granuals/size and they are not even close. I'm lost at the moment. Do I find the measure position for each and that becomes my load based on weight? It just don't seem right with out more testing. Thanks for all your help.

I'd have to measure out some pyrodex P in order to give you an answer. Not all powder measures throw the same, I used Blackhorn209 to find the right powder measure before testing. It throws BH209 charges within 1  1/2 grains +/-.

FrontierGander, thanks for everything you do it helps a lot. The Alliant web states to measure M7 by volume and my observation of M7 is inconsistent in the grain size so volumes would vary. Am I right or am I missing something? Even if you measure and determine a volume that works for a particular gun, that to could change enough to mess with accuracy if the grain size jumps all over the place. It is significant in my opinion, but I'm an old fart that likes to shoot BP and beat the guy next to me once in a while. That's my take on it and I am open to anyone that can show me what's up and it won't be my 1st time! I hope your right cause I could for sure like to get a case for $9.99 a jug.

You are right. The Black MZ is not consistent at all in granulation and that's why you will see quite a bit of variance in velocity spread over the chronograph.

If you are shooting 100 yards or less you won't see a drastic change, but once you start stretching over legs, 150 - 200 yards, that variance in velocity is going to show its ugly face in a bad way.
img_0510.jpg

I'm in well supply of Alliant Black Mz.... about 10 lbs on hand... I bought it when the getting was good and use it for both muzzleloading and BPCR for my C Sharps Rifle in 45 2.1" aka 45-70.

Latest posts

Back