Alliant Black MZ equiqalent

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is an equivalent powder to Alliant Black MZ? This stuff shoot so good in several of my muzzys but is discontinued. I've heard that Shockey's Gold is the same stuff but not sure.

Yep, Shooters World 3F is the equivalent of Black MZ. In my short test using 100 grain charges Shooters World 3F put bullets in the same group with Black MZ. It smells different than Black MZ.

How does it compare to Triple 7 or Pyrodex?
Is it cleaner burning?

Wondering the same thing as deerman. I'm also curious how
"powerful" it is though it's not a huge deal. I can get this at my local Scheels here in WI so I will probably pick up a pound to try out next time I go there. Looks like some good stuff.

How does it compare to Triple 7 or Pyrodex?

100 grain loads are about 75 fps less than Triple Seven.

Is it cleaner burning?

Much cleaner burning with no crud ring. It's cleaner burning than Black MZ.

There is this thing about Black MZ powder: Due to climatic conditions and other factors, Black MZ will sometimes leave heavy fouling in 4-6 inches of the barrel near the muzzle: This makes loading very difficult. i use the short starter and a moist patch to remove the fouling.

On three or four occasions that i've fired Shooters World 3F there was no such problem.

Like all APP powders, Shooters World 3F likes a tight fitting sabot seated hard on the powder.

I am well into my second pound of Shooters world multi purpose Black. I say it is certainly cleaner burning than Pyrodex loose powder but not sure about Triple 7 since I have only used it for a few shots in pellet form. I usually patch between shots no matter what I am shooting. I can say it shoots pretty good, is easy to ignite and power seems pretty good if recoil is any way to judge. It also is not quick to start your gun rusting. I bought 4 pounds a while back and when I am out will probably get some more of it.

How are the grains are they uniform ? That was a complaint with Black Mz that the grains weren’t uniform that to get best performance it had to be weighed that volume charges weren’t as accurate as 209 or even triple 7

That was a complaint with Black Mz that the grains weren’t uniform that to get best performance it had to be weighed that volume charges weren’t as accurate as 209 or even triple 7

Volume charges of Black MZ are as accurate as volume charges of Pyrodex and Triple Seven, maybe more accurate. Most who tried Black MZ never learned how to use the stuff.

IME: All the APP powders, including Black MZ, like a tight sabot/ball seated hard on the powder. i put gold ball on the ramrod and compress the powder hard.

Volume charges of Black MZ are as accurate as volume charges of Pyrodex and Triple Seven, maybe more accurate. Most who tried Black MZ never learned how to use the stuff.

IME: All the APP powders, including Black MZ, like a tight sabot/ball seated hard on the powder. i put gold ball on the ramrod and compress the powder hard.
Noted. Thanks for the advice Okie Hog. Going to pick up a pound of this powder to try in my brothers Wolf with a few different bullets.
He hasn't used it in more then a few years, so I figured I'd take it out and
see how it shoots.

How are the grains are they uniform ? That was a complaint with Black Mz that the grains weren’t uniform that to get best performance it had to be weighed that volume charges weren’t as accurate as 209 or even triple 7
Well seems they are pretty uniform compared to some Shockeys gold I have a little of. I'm getting 1 1/2 inch groups from volume weighed charges.

I'm shooting the Shooters world multi purpose black loose at 80 grnV in my CVA MR-x 45. I tried pyrodex -- rifle hated that. Triple 7 running on average 70 fps faster but the t7 has a the ole crud ring with cheddite primers. I am shooting 3/4 groups at 100 yard with the t/c / SST shock wave 250 and the .400 XTP with the harvester blue smooth sabot. and slapping 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 yards all day long. My brother shoots BH 209 and swore by it. After shooting my shooters world at 23.99 per pound and how clean it shoots guess who went and bought 3 pounds at our local Scheels. I am sold on this for my MR-x now

Last edited:
I'm shooting the Shooters world multi purpose black loose at 80 grnV in my CVA MR-x 45. I tried pyrodex -- rifle hated that. Triple 7 running on average 70 fps faster but the t7 has a the ole crud ring with cheddite primers. I am shooting 3/4 groups at 100 yard with the t/c / SST shock wave 250 and the .400 XTP with the harvester blue smooth sabot. and slapping 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 yards all day long. My brother shoots BH 209 and swore by it. After shooting my shooters world at 23.99 per pound and how clean it shoots guess who went and bought 3 pounds at our local Scheels. I am sold on this for my MR-x now

Thanks for the feedback LAUDY.
Are you able to reload a 2nd shot
with this powder without swabbing?
Like if you needed a fast follow up shot while hunting, could you still get the sabot and bullet down the bore and seated?

Thanks for the feedback LAUDY.
Are you able to reload a 2nd shot
with this powder without swabbing?
Like if you needed a fast follow up shot while hunting, could you still get the sabot and bullet down the bore and seated?
i have been able to reload 4 times then it starts to get a little tight so I then swab it out. have not tried to force it past 4 times.

i have been able to reload 4 times then it starts to get a little tight so I then swab it out. have not tried to force it past 4 times.

Awesome. Thanks again for the feedback. Will experiment on my
own with this powder when I get out to range again this coming spring.

Back