Another Casting Tip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
For those of you that use Sprue Plate Lube, Get a Syringe from your Local Feed Store (NOT Local Junkie 🤪) Use a Dremel or Something similar to get rid of the Sharp tip, Now you can “PIN POINT” ad your Sprue Plate Lube to the Points needed.

2 Stroke Synthetic oil works STELLAR :lewis:
qqO9ivNl.jpg

Where do you apply it. When I used it I got a bunch of holes on the base of my bullets until it burned off or whatever. So I stopped using it. No issues so far in not using it.

Oh, I thought it went under the sprue plate?
Keep the sprue plate screw just a TINY bit loose. So you can almost drop it open. Trial and error, dont over loosen it. It shouldn't bind on the mold enuff to scratch it(if its alum). Then you dont need to lube much, or often. Once i figured out the right tension i almost never have to lube mine, except after casting to keep it from rusting.

Keep the sprue plate screw just a TINY bit loose. So you can almost drop it open. Trial and error, dont over loosen it. It shouldn't bind on the mold enuff to scratch it(if its alum). Then you dont need to lube much, or often. Once i figured out the right tension i almost never have to lube mine, except after casting to keep it from rusting.
One of my Lee molds is tight. I cannot get the pivot screw to loosen with a screw driver and it has already scratched the mold a little. But as I started casting, it loosened up. Dang, I should try to loosen the screw when the mold is hot, right?

One of my Lee molds is tight. I cannot get the pivot screw to loosen with a screw driver and it has already scratched the mold a little. But as I started casting, it loosened up. Dang, I should try to loosen the screw when the mold is hot, right?
Yes. Dont burn yerself. Some of my molds have little set screws on the side that lock down the pivot screw. Nice feature but i think it is only on a couple lyman molds.

Latest posts

Back