Another MAD Shockwave shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Without all the boring stuff, met a guy today that swore he would never shoot another Shockwave bullet again.

His son was hunting from a ladder stand when a doe appeared at 30yds. He was using a T/C Omega and using 2 -T7 pellets and the Shockwave. The doe was hit in the chest, destroying the heart and piled up quickly. When field dressing the doe, they found the shockwave in fat at the back of the brisket. A couple photos were taken, which he said could be shared by or with anyone.

Wow, that first one barely looks like its been shot. :huh?: And for it to not pass through and have zero damage... man I'm clueless. Well at least he got her, but I would think the bullet would have at least been somewhat deformed. Interesting.

I am surprised that with 100 grains of T-7 and close distance as it was, that bullet didn't

#1 deform at all
#2 expand a little
#3 get a complete pass through

It must not have hit anything solid in that deer. And that's why I am surprised it didn't blow right through. Very interesting results there.

cayuga said:
I am surprised that with 100 grains of T-7 and close distance as it was, that bullet didn't

#1 deform at all
#2 expand a little
#3 get a complete pass through

It must not have hit anything solid in that deer. And that's why I am surprised it didn't blow right through. Very interesting results there.

I talked extensively with the guy, had the bullet in my hands. He did tell me that it didn't hit any bone, but went through the heart and they found it in the fat at the back of the brisket.

I shot a doe at 30 yds. last Sunday with a 250 gr. sst whch took out 2 ribs on entry jellied the heart and lungs and punched another rib on the way out.The rib fragments perforated the diaphragm and tore a 2inch gash in the stomach. Only found blood at the spot I shot her and 50 yds away where she died. Load was 110 grains of BH209. The entrance hole was larger than the exit which I have experienced before. The bullets above have performed opposite of my experiences with SST's and Shockwaves. Very strange.

Over the years my son and I have shot approx 5 deer with shockwaves. Of the 5 only one left much of a blood trail, if any at all. 3 of the deer we recovered, 1 we did not find until 3 days later so no good, and one we never did find. Of the 4 they were all shot through the boiler room but only one had an exit hole bigger then the entrance, and that one was not much bigger. 2 yrs ago I made the decision to switch to Barnes. This year was the first year that I was able to tag a deer with one. Shot a doe at 37yds, 110gr Blackhorn, 250gr Barnes TEZ. Shot through the boiler room. Exit hole was big enough I could literally stick my fist in it. I know there have been thousands of deer killed with shockwaves and sst's and there are lots of people that will swear by them but I will never shoot one at an animal again. Barnes only as a hunting bullet from now on.

I had a similar experience this past Sunday. Shot a doe at less than 50 yards. It knocked her down and she kicked around for a while then got up and ran off. When I got there I found a bunch of hair but absolutely no blood. There is no way that I missed. 50 yards is a freaking chip shot. I never found her and I am really really upset about it. I don't like shooting an animal and having it go die somewhere else.

Conversely two years ago I shot a buck at 117 yards and it went through the liver and it was dead right there. Star shaped hole through the liver.

Emrah

derfhunter said:
It almost looks like the powder-pellets did not have enough velocity for the bullet to open up or pass thru.
I do believe that derfhunter is right.

Several years ago I had a similar experience with the 250gn SST and 2 pyro pellets. I shot a doe at about 30 yards, knocked it down, it got up and tried to run. Loaded up and shot it again, then again. 3 times. When dressing it out I found 3 sets of entrance and exits that were the same size. Was quite disappointed as that bullet was very accurate. A couple years ago My nephew you called me just before season and told me he wanted to try another bullet in his CVA Wolf. I asked what he shot since I forgot. It was the 250 SST. I asked him what his results on deer was that caused him to no like it. He got pass through's that had the entrance and exits the same size too, and he was also shooting 2 T7 pellets. I took him some crush ribs and some 250 and 300 grain XTP's. The 300 grain XTP shot real well with the 2 T7 pellets (Can't get him to switch to loose). He took a buck at 170 yards and a doe at about 80 yards with great entrance and exits and only one shot each. He said "This is my new bullet"! :D Then handed me a Ziploc bag with about 100 SST's in it and said "Give those to someone else". He has had very good luck with the XTP since and now swears by it.

Now I am not trying to brand bash the bullet. Too many have reported great results with it and it seems to be one of the more popular bullets out there. It does seem that we hear one or 2 of these a year. The one thing that seems to be different is that most, with the good results, are shooting 100 grains of Loose powder or More. I think, but am not exactly sure, that 100 grains of loose will shoot faster than 2 pellets. I think that the bullet just needs more velocity than 2 pellets of Pyro or T7 can push it. At least that has been my observation when reading about those shooting the SST/Shockwave. It would be neat if someone had a gel block set up to test that and see what it does with 2 pellets and then 100 to 120 grains of Loose.

Is that an XTP bullet underneath that polymer tip? If so, then would removing the tip deform the bullet?
Just trying to find a way to salvage the son's 100 SSTs.

TripleSe7en said:
Is there a way to remove the polymer tip, without deforming the XTP bullet underneath? If so, then there's no need to discard 100 SSTs.
It is not really an XTP with a plastic Tip. The XTP has a wider meplat.

But you could probably pull it out with a needle nose plyers if you wanted too.

I have no clue on the Shockwave bullets but I have heard that SST bullets have a thicker jacket taper for higher velocity calibers compared to the XTP bullets. Then there is the XTP Mag which is a thicker jacket than the XTP, comparable to the SST just without the plastic tip.

Several years ago when I was shooting shockwaves I shot a doe at 10yds through the chest. Waited an hour to go get her and when I walked up on her she was still alive. Had to shoot her again. I have always said that the shockwave/sst is probably one of the most accurate bullets on paper but lacks in terminal performance. Back then I used 2 t7 mag pellets. That bullet may excel beyond 100yds after it slows down...I don't know. But what I do know is that barnes are impressive if you can get them to shoot.

Another reason I'm going to experiment with shooting my cast .45 ACP bullets instead. Shockwaves are $$$$$.

Emrah

I shot all my deer with hornady bullets never had a bad one. But I'm interested in the barnes expander mz do they work good on deer ?

Latest posts

Back