Another new guy in Md.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. I am new here as of Oct 29. and already am glad I found it here. I shoot a Knight Disc Extreme in 45 cal. Bought it 2nd hand about 7-8 yrs ago with a nice Leupold Scope for about $450. As I was getting ready for the season, I decided to check it over plus research some stuff on the net. I come to find out that I have been using the wrong plastic discs all this time for the breech plug the gun came with. It is supposed to use the red ones, but I was sold the orange ones when I bought the gun and never thought to question them because I bought the gun from a gun shop while being new to muzzle loaders at the time.

As I was searching the net, I learned about Lehigh BP's and Vent liners for bare 209 primer use. I also learned how the Knight version of these are a little different with a brazed in vent plug. Looking to be able to use both the red discs and a bare 209 primer, I recently bought the Knight conversion BP setup directly from Knight and am waiting for it to arrive.
In addition, I am seeking use my gun before the conversion arrives, so I want to especially thank fireguy65 for making some Red discs and his loader tool available for purchase here in the classifieds.
Thanks again Bro.

Welcome to the Forum, Glad you found us. It would be hard to find a forum with a better group of guys!

It is sometimes mind boggling when you find gun shops that sometimes have no real clue what they are selling, but it does happen especially with muzzleloaders. It's a bit more common in the real big box stores. Some like the Red jackets and some the Bare primer. For Me I would go bare primer as they seal better when working with BH 209, but if you shoot the other subs or real Black the jackets work great.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of Knight Shooters here.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback, ShawnT. From the time I bought my Knight, I always thought it to be a beautiful gun, plus a nice shooter.
I started out super green once I tried out my friend's TC Prohunter and decided to look for a nice inline for myself. After buying my Knight, I began with loose Pyrodex and some 45 cal lead balls, but soon realized I should see better accuracy with Sabots, so I went with Hornady 45 cal sabots 40 180 HP/XTP's and still used loose pyrodex for target practice. I switched gears a bit and got the rifle dialed in with pellets and began to use Triple 7 45/50's for hunting time.

It wasn't until this week of web browsing did I learn about Vent liners, White Hots and BH209 and the various conditions they can be used with etc.
Since I have about 1.5 lbs of Pyrodex to go thru, I will hopefully get to try BH209 and see how I like it sometime in the near future. As for now, I am anxious to get back to my woods and tree stand to see if I can get a deer or 2 before Muzz season ends.

PS. Last week, I set up my one original camera down by my ladder stand spot I used the past 2 years. Also, recently bought 2 more and set them up in 2 other areas last week. Definitely curious to see what they have been seeing if you know what I mean.

Thanks guys for allowing me to ramble on here. Chili

Welcome. With a little tweaking you can get that M-L set up to fill the buck pole like no others. I'd gravitate towards Blackhorn 209 powder, with a suitable primer. I'd also look to a 195-200 grain bullet. I shoot 110 grains, just over 2200 fps with my chrony.

I prefer the 'crush rib' sabots from Harvester Muzzle-Loading, but some of the supplied sabots work fine. The crush rib sabots should fit the bore very well.

If needed there are instructions around here on adjusting your trigger.

Thanks muskrat, I was thinking of moving up to a 200 gr projectile to see how they compare to my 180's.

I still have some waiting to do, getting the right breech plug in the mail and getting different primers to use instead of the Triple 7 ones I am using. What primers do you like when shooting BH209? What do you think of CCI209m's? Also, when I went to the Blackhorn web site and looked in the FAQ, question number 20. Do you have load data for 45 cal, their answer was Not at the present time.

So, should I do like one would when reloading cartridge ammo and start low and work my way up? Was your 110Gr measurement what you use in your 45 cal?

With B209 the hotter primers are suggested. I use CCIM, the Fed 209A gets good reviews too. There is a hotness chart around here somewhere. Some guns and temps may be more forgiving if using less than the hottest primers. I've always just used CCIMs.

The 110 grain(volume) charge of B209 I mention is a fairly common loading. One could go less or up to 120 grains, just a suggestion.

Those 200 grain Hornady .400" bullets do fine for me. I have used the Barnes 195 too, kinda switch back and forth since they have been shooting close to the same point.

Muskrat, Thanks for that info. This afternoon I went out to my hunting area for today's last day of early Muzzleloader season and swapped out SD cards in 2 of my 3 cameras. Saw some good footage of deer on both. In my deep in woods spot where my ladder stand is, I saw pics of 1 Spike and 1 doe.
On my edge of the woods cam, I saw at least 3 more bucks, a 4 point,, small 8 point, and another pair of 2-4 pointers but couldn't tell because of the angle of the shots. Unfortunately, most of them were before or after legal hours.

No deer came for me to shoot tonight, but I think I spooked some on my way out of the woods from where my stand cam is. Awful loud ruckus of what sounded like a few deer fleeing the scene.

Well, my new knight bare 209 primer breech plug conversion kit came in the mail today.
I look forward to putting it to good use when the next round for late muzzle loader season rolls around.

chilipeppermaniac said:
Well, my new knight bare 209 primer breech plug conversion kit came in the mail today.
I look forward to putting it to good use when the next round for late muzzle loader season rolls around.

Make sure you try some Win209 primers with the Knight bare primer plug. They usually fit the best and work fine. Fed209A is my 2nd choice but i don't feel a mag primer is really needed in that plug. The Feds occasionally stick in mine also.

Thanks gm54. I currently have about 2 boxes of triple 7 primers and about 70 red discs which I have never had a failure to fire in nearly 8 years of owning my Disc Extreme with either loose or pellet Trip7 powder. I may hold off on using the Bare primer BP, Powder and primer changes till after hunting season so I can avoid any unknowns. I can work with the new stuff come spring at the gun range.

Latest posts

Back