Any bad primers to stay away from?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKDad

Reaction score
Just curious if there are any primers to stay away from? I've read on some sites where they only recommend 2 types of primers for inline as most of the rest are to thin and dangerous. Does this sound right or just a tactic to get you to buy from them? Unfortunately I can't find primers around here. Every store that sells ammo hasn't seen a primer in 2 yrs and I can't seem to find a site that sells them by the 100 pack and will ship to my location. Don't really want to but 1000 primers as I haven't even shot the gun I just picked up and not sure I will ever shoot it anywhere near that many times.
Thanks
Rory

I've never had any issues with primers I have purchased, CCI, Noble, Winchester, Federal, Cheddite, Remington, etc. They may not all work in your application but never had a problem or worry.

Last edited:
Your information isn't exactly correct. In a nutshell, depending on the propellant you plan to use will dictate the best primers to use.
For Example; with Blackhorn 209 propellant, the manufacturer only recommends using CCI 209M, Federal 209A, or Winchester shot shell primers.
For Pyrodex, Triple 7, or black powder, any 209 "muzzleloader" primers will do.

Good advice, above.

Assuming safe/appropriate powder charges, I’ve never heard of a 209 primer being “dangerous.” Sub-optimal, perhaps… but not unsafe.

Right now, it’s pretty much “take what you can get,” if you’re looking for primers.

I’d grab a tray or two of the first ones you see for a price you can stomach.
A couple of trays should keep you busy on the range for a while, until you can find some primers that you’d prefer.

Have a blast! 🤠

I agree. Any 209 will work. I’d grab 100 and start shooting. Primers have been scarce for months and they’re unlikely to be widely available any time soon. If you lived anywhere near any of us I’m sure someone would give you a few.

Available right now on Gunbroker.com. You can get a sleeve (100) of Cheddites for $30 total. Fiocchi’s for $35. Winchesters for $40. Rem STSs for $40.

Which primer may work the best and most consistent is really tied directly to your breech plug and the outside temps. Western Powders always recommended Magnum primers because they had no idea what type of rifle or breech plug your rifle might have. And their whole goal was to have the powder go bang when the primer ignited it.

I really do not like to use Mag primers! they fill the flash channel more quickly with debris and wear the flash hole faster than a normal primer. Yet! there are rifles with breech plugs that are not really conducive to BH powder, so the safe thing is using a Mag primer.

I personally use Winchester W209's because they fit my Knight breech plugs better. but, as mentioned with the right BP all 209 Shotgun primers can work. also be aware there are 209 primers ot there specifically designed for Muzzleloaders - this are not the best bet with BH at all.

If youre shooting anything other than bh209, then walmart has been stocking lots of the Federal ML 209 primers(at least around here) and CCI #11s. And a local gun store has what looks like a case of the Winchester 777 ML primers in stock. So theyre becoming more available, keep looking.

If youre shooting anything other than bh209, then walmart has been stocking lots of the Federal ML 209 primers

I was wondering how “Weak / Cool” the Federal 209 MZ primers are? The packaging says “Compatible with the FireSticks and all conventional inline muzzleloading systems”
Isn’t the Triple 8 powder in the FireStick BH 209?
With No Flame / Flash Channel distance to travel through in the FireStick, does that make them more effective?

Thanks for the information everyone. I have a T/C Omega and will be using Pyrodex charges as it's all I can get locally. I will check out gunbrokers for sure. Thanks again, figured most primers would work fine and was just site specific to get you to buy from them.
Thanks
Rory

Ok I was just registering on gunbrokers to purchase some primers and it wants a picture of my driver's license, passport or any other government issued ID with a photograph. Does that sound right?
Thanks
Rory

With the advent of the new gun laws that recently passed - it might be but.... I would certainly investigate more to verify!

Ok I was just registering on gunbrokers to purchase some primers and it wants a picture of my driver's license, passport or any other government issued ID with a photograph. Does that sound right?
Thanks
Rory
Assuming you’re on www.gunbroker.com - the site is legit. I don’t recall having to submit a copy of a state issued id but it doesn’t surprise me. I’ve used Gunbroker for probably 10 years so I don’t recall the details of the sign up process.

I was wondering how “Weak / Cool” the Federal 209 MZ primers are? The packaging says “Compatible with the FireSticks and all conventional inline muzzleloading systems”
Isn’t the Triple 8 powder in the FireStick BH 209?
With No Flame / Flash Channel distance to travel through in the FireStick, does that make them more effective?
I think Federal has to say its compatible, since iirc, they make them firesticks. And yep the “Triple8” is really bh209. But yeah the primer ends up being right up against the powder with only a thin film of plastic in between. Thats gotta help light it off.

I used that site to buy a few guns and never had to provide that info. All be it it was a couple yrs ago since last purchase. Here's a screenshot of the page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220808-102948_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220808-102948_Chrome.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
I used that site to buy a few guns and never had to provide that info. All be it it was a couple yrs ago since last purchase. Here's a screenshot of the page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220808-103322_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220808-103322_Chrome.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
Back