Any bad primers to stay away from?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious if there are any primers to stay away from? I've read on some sites where they only recommend 2 types of primers for inline as most of the rest are to thin and dangerous. Does this sound right or just a tactic to get you to buy from them? Unfortunately I can't find primers around here. Every store that sells ammo hasn't seen a primer in 2 yrs and I can't seem to find a site that sells them by the 100 pack and will ship to my location. Don't really want to but 1000 primers as I haven't even shot the gun I just picked up and not sure I will ever shoot it anywhere near that many times.
Thanks
Rory
None are bad and some are great , but most are not available so get what you can ! A thousand is nothing and if you sell local may be your biggest selling point !!! / Ed

I paid 13 on sale, regular price 17.99 at a local shop, I bought a 1000 but haven’t tried them yet.I feel like I got robbed even on sale lol , but happy I found them

i kinda feel the same way DWM for paying $17 for the 777 mz at BP . but given the availability of what i can find ..... and the shortages of primers/powder when i joined here and suggestions to get what ever i can find ........i'm not really going to complain about guys here paying 1/2 to 1/3 that for what they got given the overall cost out of pocket . i also got a few packs of federal 209A's (before i found the 777's) for $10 and they will work for me (with FWIU more frequent swabbing with 777 loose) so at least i feel confident i have plenty of primers .... and if a opportunity comes to trade primers for something i want/need the federals will be the ones to go .... and i think there would be more chances for that since they aren't limited to just ML use .

but .... i would most definitely get a 10 pack of the MZ primers if i found a deal like the folks here shared ! and i will definitely be keeping my eyes open for a deal like that !

I stopped in at a local Fleet Farm a while back and checked out the shooting area and found 6 trays of the "new" look Winchester shot shell 209's. $4.99/tray. They all came home with me. With what I found at the beginning of covid and the shortages I now have enough primers to last a few years. BH209 as well. The T7 3ff I shoot at the range is easy to find in the stores around here so no sweat there.

Any 209 primer with the words "Muzzleloader" on the packaging is a reduced power primer... made to minimize fowling with easy to set off powders (Black Powder, Pyrodex loose/pellets, 777 loose/pellets, white hots etc).

They don't tend to work very well with Blackhorn209. Blackhorn209 needs more heat to be reliable: Standard shotgun 209's or Magnum 209's are prescribed with BlackHorn209. (the directions on the bottle usually address this as well)

I blogged about it here if you want more details:

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/badgerden/different-209-primers-and-muzzleloading

Good morning gentz,
I called Federal regarding the usefulness of their 209MZ primers with Blackhorn209. They told me to stay away from the original Federal 209 shotshell primers however the Federal 209MZ are basically CCI Magnums and will work consistently with Blackhorn. Might be worth a test run at the range. Saw these available at Walmart.
THANK YOU for the Cold Weather Testing🙏. So, it appears they are Equivalent to the CCI209M Magnum Primers 👍

This
Any 209 primer with the words "Muzzleloader" on the packaging is a reduced power primer... made to minimize fowling with easy to set off powders (Black Powder, Pyrodex loose/pellets, 777 loose/pellets, white hots etc).

They don't tend to work very well with Blackhorn209. Blackhorn209 needs more heat to be reliable: Standard shotgun 209's or Magnum 209's are prescribed with BlackHorn209. (the directions on the bottle usually address this as well)

I blogged about it here if you want more details:

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/badgerden/different-209-primers-and-muzzleloading

Seems like there is conflicting information regarding these Federal 209MZ primers. I have been unable to find any reduced power primers to use with 777. I have plenty of Cheddites and CCI 209Magnum primers for Blackhorn 209 but when I use up my stash I'm done with that stuff. Still on the hunt for 777 primers I guess.

Seems like there is conflicting information regarding these Federal 209MZ primers. I have been unable to find any reduced power primers to use with 777. I have plenty of Cheddites and CCI 209Magnum primers for Blackhorn 209 but when I use up my stash I'm done with that stuff. Still on the hunt for 777 primers I guess.

According to Ron’s Cold Weather Test today the “New” Federal Premium 209MZ are Good with BH 209.

The “Old” Federal PMZ209 Muzzleloader Primers are Good with 777

I’m not sure one shot convinces me of anything. But it’s encouraging! I think if someone tested those over 20-30 shots with Bh209, we could say they’re probably reliable.
How about everyone shoots once as any primer is hard to find !/Ed

I have Winchester W209 primers and Cci 209M primers that I got a great deal on from a fellow member. The Winchester W209 seems to work fine with the Blackhorn and the Cci 209M work fine but are very dirty in my Accura V2 Lr. I'm going to get some of the o-rings and try that. I'm waiting for better weather!

Back