Any bad primers to stay away from?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As michiganmuzzy pointed out, we have Federal 209MZ primers at Michigan Walmart stores

Powder Valley has Triple 7 in stock. Assuming you are shooting a 50 Cal,..

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/hodgdon-triple-7-50-cal-50-gr-pel-100/https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/hodgdon-triple-7-5030-pellets-100/https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/hodgdon-triple-seven-t73-fff-1/
They also have 45 Cal pellets in stock

With Triple 7, you can maintain reasonable shelf life if you keep it bone dry. Once your near future intended charges have been measured/separated, you might want to vacuum seal them and keep in a cool dry area until next use. Don't ask me how I know this. Please. It's too painful.

Good luck

Good morning gentz,
I called Federal regarding the usefulness of their 209MZ primers with Blackhorn209. They told me to stay away from the original Federal 209 shotshell primers however the Federal 209MZ are basically CCI Magnums and will work consistently with Blackhorn. Might be worth a test run at the range. Saw these available at Walmart.

Attachments

• 1660305077313.png
    1660305077313.png
    711.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1660305277932.png
    1660305277932.png
    711.2 KB · Views: 0
Well that would be completely opposite of everyone else’s muzzleloader specific primers.
That's my understanding also . Fwiu mz primers aren't supposed to burn as hot or fast as the CCI or 209A which I think are two of the hottest and most explosive primers . But im new still trying to learn the difference between my butt and a hole in the ground when it comes to MLs .

That's odd because I just looked at the Hodgdon website and they only recommend two different primers. CCI 209M or Federal 209A for use with Blackhorn.
I recently bought 200 of those Federal 209MZ primers to use with Triple 7 but I'll try them with my Blackhorn, just to see if they work.

I bought guns and primers on Gun Broker with no id or pictures of anything

I bought guns and primers on Gun Broker with no id or pictures of anything
Me too. Since Federal has many different primer types and different box covers for each, I thought I'd throw a picture in. I added a second picture in case someone skipped over the first picture.

That's odd because I just looked at the Hodgdon website and they only recommend two different primers. CCI 209M or Federal 209A for use with Blackhorn.
I recently bought 200 of those Federal 209MZ primers to use with Triple 7 but I'll try them with my Blackhorn, just to see if they work.

Those are my thoughts also. My web search for 209MZ information/reviews has turned up very little, so I reached out to Federal. Their voicemail response is summarized in post 26 above. Since CCI Magnums and Federal 209a are so scarce, why not try these out at the range? If there's any colleagues out there that have experience with these, please chime in..

Good morning gentz,
I called Federal regarding the usefulness of their 209MZ primers with Blackhorn209. They told me to stay away from the original Federal 209 shotshell primers however the Federal 209MZ are basically CCI Magnums and will work consistently with Blackhorn. Might be worth a test run at the range. Saw these available at Walmart.
Has anyone tried these New Federal 209MZ Primers with BH 209? I probably should put a Loaded Rifle in the Freezer Overnight & see if it Fires 🔥

I found the Federal 209MZ primers at my local Wally World yesterday. They have a boat load of them so I picked up five packs for myself and a buddy. I am very curious about how well they will work with various powders. I hope people will give feedback with their results. I will as soon as I can get to the range.

how much were the federal 209mz at y'alls wally worlds ? haven't see any primers of any type at the ones close to me .
should they be any better or worse than 777 209mz's when using 777 powder ?

Latest posts

Back