.... Anyone ever tried these?.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:scratch:

I was at Cabelas yesterday and seen these hanging in the ML'er section and the weight caught my interest :!:
Anyone ever try these: HORNANDY FPB .50 CAL 350 GRAIN :?: :?: They look like a Thor except 50 grains heavier and have a red tip. ( I'm waiting on an order of Thors that only come with the plastic tip. No more hollow points).
I want to see what this heavy weight will do at the 100 yard bench :cheers: :cheers:

Ray............ ;)

I haven't used them Ray, and I'm sure others will weigh in, but I have read that if they fit your gun, they're OK (they come in 300 gr too), but if they don't fit your gun, good luck getting them down.

Unlike the Thors, they don't have different bore sizes.

Unlike a Thor Ray. They're a lead bullet. I believe they're .503, so they loaded too hard in the CVA guns I had. They perform like any other big lead conical. Which is to say...pretty good.

They load fine in all of my guns....Knight, TC, & CVA's. I have shot the 300 grain & the 350's & haven't found them to be accurate in any of them! Maybe that's why my dealer is closing them out at $9.00 per pack!!

Not all bores by the same maker are exactly the same. The Traditions as Carlos mentioned loaded just fine in my Encore Bergara barrel.

That's true, but all the CVA guns seem to use .500 or .501 Thors.

I suppose i could have got tight ones. I tried a V2, Optima, and a Wolf. I almost hurt my hand banging on the short starter. I was mad, because I really wanted to try them. I guess they aren't accurate, but I heard good things about their terminal performance.

Not trying to pick a fight, but my Optima seems to have a .502 bore, at least those are the Thors that fit and shoot the best out of it.

The .503 Thor was hard to get down, especially the first 4-6 inches of the barrel, but with some muscle, keep in mind, I may be 58 but I'm still 6' 7" and 285 lbs., I could force them through.

I wouldn't want to do it regularly and I haven't shot any .503's.

The .502's started a little easier and shot much better than the .501's.

They would be my Thors of choice.

Actually thats right, i forgot that one of my Optimas had a .501" bore that the traditions full bore only needed a quick wrap on the ball starter to pop into the muzzle.

The Hornady FPB for some reason, including this rifle was a mofo to load. I actually found out later on they had a large batch go out that was an inconsistent lead mixture which made loading extremely tough. It was impossible to load in a tc omega i had years ago as well.

You never know until you try them though. They seem to be a pretty decent bullet for the $.

The 300 grs. shot and loaded OK in the Optima I just sold, I'm going to try them in the Accura I got from Kodiak and sold to the same guy that bought the Optima, then I'll see how they load in the Mountianeer.

Back