Anyone notice lots of variation in sabot /bullet s packs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
I was spending quality time at the range today with my T/Cs and BH209 :D and trying some different bullets packaged w/ sabots. I was surprized at the amount of variation in pressure it took to seat them. I had 3 different T/C types and 4 Hornady types. I'm ready to toss out all the sabots and establish some consistency by buying bulk sabots (and bullets when I use these up). I read a good report by someone here which I can't find for the life of me. I'm happy with the short green sabots for .430 bullets but not sure what to try with .451's. I saw crush rib greens, short black, long black mags,and short reds in the shop I stopped at. Can anybody give me some advice on what they have the best success with in T/C barrels?
One example that totally blew me away was that I shot 2 sub inch groups in 2 different rifles with my last six old 250gr Shockwaves with yellow tips and then got no better than 2-3" groups with my new SWs (red tips) and Hornady SSTs. I'm scared that whatever magic there was with those yellow tips is lost forever... :( . I noticed that they were a lot looser in my Encore and Omega than any of the new stuff.

I'm ready to toss out all the sabots and establish some consistency by buying bulk sabots

That is the only way to really know what the heck you are shooting.

Re: Anyone notice lots of variation in sabot /bullet s packs

smong2000 said:
Can anybody give me some advice on what they have the best success with in T/C barrels?

Harvester's short black sabot loads nicely and shoot great out of my Omega with .452" SST's/Shockwaves. I went through what you are going through when I first started muzzleloading and it didn't take me long to figure out that I needed to buy sabots separately and toss all of them aside that come packaged with the bullets. There are 4 sabots that you can get good accuracy in most all guns using .451 or .452 bullets but you have to try them all to find out usually. They are MMP short black, MMP HPH24, MMP HPH12 and the Harvester short black. Here are the Harvesters that I use a lot of.....

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H5045SB

Thanks Doohan.

I just tried your link to refresh my memory on your EXCELLENT testing results. Looks like you are using a short black sabot too. Reminded me how fragile the 250SW is, I'm not approaching your smokeless speeds but BH209 definitely pushes close to 2000fps. My real favorite is the 250 TMZ w/ yellow sabot but they're a bit pricy to shoot up a the range. I got a real life 30" ish penetration on a doe with one last season, just in front of hind leg to opposite front shoulder at close to 200 yds. Didn't look like much expansion at the speed it was going out there, but I never recovered the bullet.

Back