Arrowed a nice fat doe today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex Dr.

Reaction score
Hi guys

well I was having a horrible deer season this year.

Here in MI we start bowhunting Oct 1 and it has been so freaking warm I could not get the desire to hunt. I know it sounds sick but I just never felt like going.
With moving my business this Sept, my dad and hunting partner having shoulder surgery Oct 31 I just was missing the drive to hunt.

Im part of a new lease(to me and 3 buddies) on 150 acres in SE Michigan (10 minutes from my house to tree and i live in the suburbs) and have hunted 2-3 days a week since Oct 1 if it was cooler then 60 degrees and have seen 1 deer while on stand and a whole whopping 3 while scouting, glassing etc

So after sitting all morning Sat and Sunday (the 10th and 11th) I get all pissy and have to find a new spot to sit

I put 3-4 miles searching this property this morning and hang a new stand in spot I did not really like (for bow hunting, but our gun opener is the 15th so I figure what the heck its another corn field to stare at)

well not well today I was going to pass on go out tonite but a buddy bugged so I gave in

It was windy and trying to sprinkle, and I just had no heart in it

I got to my stand at about 3:30 3:45pm and i had the day from hell, in the stand. (I dropped an arrow, forgot my seat cushion, did not have my bow holder--just everything to make you want to go home)

So I settled in to take a nice nap in the tree stand (I did have my safety harness) and the dang wind kept blowing me around

About 4pm something told me to look to the south and Wham! a deer appears at 125 yards and she is coming my way

I figure NO way will sh e make it to me

after watching her for 30 minutes she heads east thru a tractor path in the corn, thinking she is gone for good I hit the Bleat can 3 times, I barley got the can in my pocket and she is trotting right to me

Im doing the if she hits here i can draw, here i can shoot, Blah, Blah etc

well at 15 yards she grabs a loose apple i dropped, and she walks straight at me

fearing she will wind/sense me i hit full draw and will her to stop and turn quartering to me

and as if on a string she does

the Goldtip arrow with Splitfire 100 takes her behind the left front shoulder. At impact she is knocked off her feet, and she scrambles to her feet I see way too much arrow for it to be good.

I watch her run 50 yards to the woods and crash in to a huge blowdown and somehow squirt thru it I hear 1 more loud crash and a low blow sound (like when a deer winds you) and silence

Its now 440pm and I know she is down but I tell my self wait 30 minutes

at 5pm Im glassing where she is and i can see blood from point of impact to last spot seen

after a short 75 yard or so good blood trail I loose all sign in thigh high weeds

after collecting my thoughts and looking I am thinking if i was a hurt deer I would go under that dead tree to die

as I sneak under the log I see her piled up

She is about 125-130 dressed out about 110

Not bad for a bad day, in my eyes

Pics will post as soon as I get film developed (In know im not with this times i dont own a digital camera)

JD

The rewards of being persistent, even when you don't want to be! Congrats.

Back