Arrowhead Brux prefit 45 cal for Encore.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harley I had a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x50mm with rings that worked laying on my bench. It was the easiest to grab and start shooting. It shot great and I'm debating leaving it or putting a turret twister on the gun. I'll shoot it for a while and get used to the ballistics and trajectory and see what I'm comfortable with. I'd like to be proficient with it out to 300. Primary use will be hunting bean fields during Va muzzleloader season.
I purchased a Leupold VX-5 4x16x52. It will be a bolt gun with a 28" Brux, hoping to reach out to 500 yrds if necessary. I had my Remington Ultimate converted (which was an awesome gun itself) which saved me about half the cost of going with a completely new build. Like yourself, the plan is to hunt with it over ag fields- beans, alfalfa, cut corn.

I purchased a Leupold VX-5 4x16x52. It will be a bolt gun with a 28" Brux, hoping to reach out to 500 yrds if necessary. I had my Remington Ultimate converted (which was an awesome gun itself) which saved me about half the cost of going with a completely new build. Like yourself, the plan is to hunt with it over ag fields- beans, alfalfa, cut corn.
You won't have an issue getting to 500yds. Well, the rifle won't....... :)

You'll be extremely happy. The Encore .45 Brux I own shot three touching the first group and still will repeatedly at 100, with 2-300 routinely under MOA just off bags. I have many very nice weapons / rifles with excellent hunting scopes (none over 12X power) and the ASG Brux Encore combo I put together will outshoot them all. H4198 with either of the pre-sized or even my sized ASG bullets, Pittman's, or Fury's will basically shoot one touching another over and over. None of the deer I shot at have traveled beyond a few steps or leaps after being hit from any of these bullets out to 274 yards so far. After all I did to prepare with the gun at different ranges and multiplre loads when acquired my first kill that year was at about 15 yards on a 125lb doe. It leapt up and ran while I was walking to my truck one morning, and after the quick reaction shot in the shoulder it looked more like a grizzly got after it and nearly tore it in half.

You'll be extremely happy. The Encore .45 Brux I own shot three touching the first group and still will repeatedly at 100, with 2-300 routinely under MOA just off bags. I have many very nice weapons / rifles with excellent hunting scopes (none over 12X power) and the ASG Brux Encore combo I put together will outshoot them all. H4198 with either of the pre-sized or even my sized ASG bullets, Pittman's, or Fury's will basically shoot one touching another over and over. None of the deer I shot at have traveled beyond a few steps or leaps after being hit from any of these bullets out to 274 yards so far. After all I did to prepare with the gun at different ranges and multiplre loads when acquired my first kill that year was at about 15 yards on a 125lb doe. It leapt up and ran while I was walking to my truck one morning, and after the quick reaction shot in the shoulder it looked more like a grizzly got after it and nearly tore it in half.
15 yards, that figures. Though you obviously were able to put it through its paces later. Very encouraging. I spoke with my builder this week and he just needs to bed the rifle and then he will be shipping it back to me- chomping at the bit to work with it. Probably going to use 300 gr Furys to start with. Hoping that I will have it dialed in for my buddy to use during early muzzleloader season in IA.

I think you'll be able to stretch the legs on that gun by quite a bit... The farther you go, the more accurate your dope needs to be. I have been a long-time user of Strelok Pro. When I set up my SML (45/Brux from Arrowhead) I purchased a good rangefinder and a Weatherflow meter. I'm not pedantic about it, but I live and shoot in the mountains and hunt in the midwest so I do measure the weather each day before I shoot or hunt and set it in Strelok. Once you learn the system you will build trust in it, and be amazed at what you can do... (my best 400yd group is 0.177 MOA) Good luck

took the target off the target frame and laid it on my loading bench to keep. Took pic while it was laying on my bench. No trickery here.

Excellent shooting, I have yet to handle a smokeless muzzleloader with a quality barrel that won't do the same, I absolutely believe a 45 Cal 1 in 18 or 1 and 20 twist is the most accurate rifle available to a shooter in America, many shooters and hunters just haven't learned that yet. I take 60 grains of 4198 to 400 yd on a regular basis, you don't need those mega loads that you see some people shooting. The bore riders are the most accurate bullets to shoot in these guns,, but you can do amazing things with the light blue sabot and a fury 225-250 forty cal...great shooting!!

I'm working on my Encore from luke.Changing out to green laminate stock. Once I get done I will be headed to the range to test imr 4198 and NSR 275s

Latest posts

Back