Arrowhead encore Brux barrel- is brake worth it?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhanks555

Reaction score
I'm about to drop some coin on an arrowhead barrel from my encore. Really excited about the possibilities there. I debated a woodman for a while, but I already have a an encore frame.. So, why not...
I'm torn to whether to get a brake or not. I don't do a lot of target shooting mostly hunting. But I would hate to need it and not have it. I know they are terribly loud, so I would have to for sure remember to bring hearing protection (should anyway) when hunting. I also have several pounds of n120 just itching...

Which bullets do you plan to use? Any sabots? I would certainly buy one threaded for a brake, although you could always have one threaded later. I like the option of using a brake. A good brake makes a difference with heavy loads in a light rifle. I don’t notice the noise when hunting but a brake (and load through funnel) does make loading slightly more complicated. If I’m not shooting heavy loads I often take the brake off.

I have a encore does have a break it helps when grandkid but I started hunting without break I shoot 62 grains h4198 with a 300 grain aeromax recoil not bad my gun has brux from Jeff Hankins my gun weights 11 1/2 lbs

Lots of great replies. Sounds like brake and load funnel it is. Better to need and not have than have and not need. I also have the funds allocated right now too.

For stocks. Do you need to get a shotgun stock to fit or will a ML stock work. Seems like I've seen some say that ML was tight.
Some posts also say that the wood is many times gets cracked on wood stocks too but that was not what appears to be the recommended here?

Go with the brake- you don't have to use it, but have it should you decide to. I have a break on mine, but have never shot it without the break so I really don't know what the recoil is like without it. As far as the "bang" factor, I really don't notice when I take a shot when hunting (don't use hearing protection, but going to start this year-more for enhanced sound than cancelling out the shot). I shoot various 300gr bullets with a 78gr charge of H322. My rifle/scope weigh in at about 10lbs.

With Hankins barrel you can use the Encore forearm because it has 10-32 dovetails.
If you like forcing the forearm around the barrel, use the plastic. You can't put laminated encore in a lead sled or anything that stops recoil.The receiver is actually the recoil lug. So if you can't stand the kick, use plastic. Luke told me the same thing. Mine hasn't cracked, but I didn't buy junk.

With Hankins barrel you can use the Encore forearm because it has 10-32 dovetails.
If you like forcing the forearm around the barrel, use the plastic. You can't put laminated encore in a lead sled or anything that stops recoil.The receiver is actually the recoil lug. So if you can't stand the kick, use plastic. Luke told me the same thing. Mine hasn't cracked, but I didn't buy junk.
Where did you get your stock from?

Latest posts

Back