ASM Prospector 44cal Pistol kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DESPERATE LEE

Reaction score
I just ordered a 44 cal ASM Prospector pistol kit from Deer Creek with 100 .433 balls for loading. I am hoping it will be a good shooter. Will post photos when it arrives. Anyone have any experience with these? I got 3F Goex, 777, Swiss, and Pyrodex P. Says the barrel is 1-20 twist, or there any conicals avaliable for this barrel size? I am thinking starting at 15-20 grns as a starting load. Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
DL

Ok guys Fed Ex made my delivery today. The ASM CVA Prospector has arrived. The first thing i did was disassembled it to make sure it all works and look for ways to improve the action. This is a kit gun so almost all parts need to be finished. I am in the middle of remodeling my upstairs bathroom so the start of this project will begin next week some time. :drool: I have 100 Hornady .433 swaged lead ball arriving tomorrow. Got some 45 cal felt wads, several thickness of patch material and lots of powder. Even got some COW if the felt wads dont help.
All steel is in the white. Blue it? I am thinking a flat black or maybe brown it. :think:
Brass has got to be polished and shiny. I will install an over travel stop on the trigger guard. The trigger sits in the frame with excess side travel, so some spacer bushings will be required and of course the sear contact points will be polished. The hammer is suppose to contact the frame in the fire position. So with the barrel loose in the frame and hammer all the way down there is a gap at the point where the barrel and frame meet. So we have 3 possibilies, 1. make a spacer for the barrel gap, 2. shorten the nipple, 3. deepen the flat where the nipple base contacts the breech. :think::think::think:
Sights are up in the air right now. May leave originals alone for a while. The stock is a no brainer, it has to be a dark walnut finish then with a True Oil final finish. Smooth of course so the grip can recoil like a true Single Action Army grip should.:dance2:
You guys got ideas, i would love to hear them. I tend to ramble on a bit. I have not found a year code on it, maybe kit guns dont get them.Y
One last question here, does this barrel have a breech plug or is the barrel a one piece job?:lewis:

DLIMG_1039.JPGIMG_1040.JPGIMG_1042.JPGIMG_1043.JPGIMG_1044.JPGIMG_1045.JPG

I was just wondering if there is a breach plug installed about a 1/2 inch in front of the nipple. Some of the pictures i have seen there looks like parting line near there. Expand these 2 pictures and tell me if you think so? Anyone know how these barrels are made?Tingleapart_zps3a35bfdf.jpgIMG_1042.JPG

I stumbled on one for 75.00 made by cva bought a mold and that is where I’m at until I take the time and cast something. Figure 10-30 grains to find its happy place at 25 yd maybe out to 50 for minute of squirrel off a rest

Thanks Lewis. It may be a while before i get any range time. The wife has me repainting the upstairs bedrooms and the bath up there. Then i have to finish the pistol since it is a kit. Texas is back sliding on this Covid virus. It may be a while before my range in Mansfield opens up again.
DL

Not really Lewis. The pics were from an old post and it was from Germany and had to be translated. Still not a bad idea though. The original Tingles were available with shoulder stocks and shot gun barrels.
DL

Not really Lewis. The pics were from an old post and it was from Germany and had to be translated. Still not a bad idea though. The original Tingles were available with shoulder stocks and shot gun barrels.
DL

I like it!! Thanks for Sharing the Photos DL

Got a little update on my project. Still working on the remodeling of the house but took time to fit the grip to the pistol. Got to thinking that this is going to be strickly a target or small varmit gun. So i decided to upgrade sights. I found this sight cheap enough, $23.95, so i said hell why not. It is a Williams FP for Rem 760 rifle. Will have to wait to get a front sight. I measured front and rear sight from center bore and will maintain the same relationship between these new sights. Looking for a grip and forearm light like the DGW Precision Pistol had. I know what i want. This remodel of the house can't take all summer.
DL

Attachments

• s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 22
  • A0111.jpeg
    A0111.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Got a little update on my project. Still working on the remodeling of the house but took time to fit the grip to the pistol. Got to thinking that this is going to be strickly a target or small varmit gun. So i decided to upgrade sights. I found this sight cheap enough, $23.95, so i said hell why not. It is a Williams FP for Rem 760 rifle. Will have to wait to get a front sight. I measured front and rear sight from center bore and will maintain the same relationship between these new sights. Looking for a grip and forearm light like the DGW Precision Pistol had. I know what i want. This remodel of the house can't take all summer.
DL

It looks like a NEAT Project to me DL :lewis:

Last edited:
DL
Those grips are awesome! I know where I can get the same kit for $225. Is this a good deal sir? And I already got A.S.M. Remington New Model Army and like the brand and it's a straight shooter

James
I have had several ASM Colt 60's and Remington 58's and all have been just fine. I got my kit at Deer Creek Products. I get alot of my BP shooting products from them. The kit is rough, dont get me wrong, but it has great promise. The grips may be hard to find though. Then again if after i put these high sights on it the grips may not work right. We'll see. Not in any hurry at this point. Good luck to you my friend.
DL

DL

Hey I'm looking to buy one of these from Deer Creek, got any takes on them? Saw it and decided it would be a fun to build my first gun but its between this and the traditions .50 Kentucky pistol kit but Id like to know more about this before I go an buy anything. This is the only relevant thing google will bring up on the Prospector .44 so Id figure Id try my luck at prodding for some info here.

Hey I'm looking to buy one of these from Deer Creek, got any takes on them? Saw it and decided it would be a fun to build my first gun but its between this and the traditions .50 Kentucky pistol kit but Id like to know more about this before I go an buy anything. This is the only relevant thing google will bring up on the Prospector .44 so Id figure Id try my luck at prodding for some info here.
That gun is a sorta clone of the original Tingle Pistol, which was a good target pistol back in the day.
If you're in the market for one, I would say to go for it. That model is kinda rare. Once deercreek sells out that's it. They won't be getting any more.

That gun is a sorta clone of the original Tingle Pistol, which was a good target pistol back in the day.
If you're in the market for one, I would say to go for it. That model is kinda rare. Once deercreek sells out that's it. They won't be getting any more.
I was aware of that but I meant more so the fitment and quality of a gun (although thank you none the less) because ever since my grandpa got me into guns I knew I wanted something black powder like his old revolvers but Id like to know the amount of work that you need to get something like this working just for weekend target shooting. Thanks for letting me know that its "do or die" when it comes to getting one these, Ill make sure to pick one up come payday. Just an issue of finding caps now.

I was aware of that but I meant more so the fitment and quality of a gun (although thank you none the less) because ever since my grandpa got me into guns I knew I wanted something black powder like his old revolvers but Id like to know the amount of work that you need to get something like this working just for weekend target shooting. Thanks for letting me know that its "do or die" when it comes to getting one these, Ill make sure to pick one up come payday. Just an issue of finding caps now.
I’ve got 2 of the ASM Prospectors although they weren’t kits. They are really nice guns, very good fit and finish. I don’t think i would hesitate to buy a kit version..

Back