austin and halleck questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a A&H that I bought years ago. I have never shot it, as I have my whites. So just the other day, I pulled it out of the safe. It has a synthetic stock and a pretty wood one with a 209 breech plug. I was surprised to find it was a .45cal. I had thought about selling it, but was wondering if it could be changed to a smokeless.

A&H have several models of rifles, which one is yours?

I wouldn’t convert one unless you can do it yourself. I changed the bolt and breech plug in mine but I built it all myself and it was hours and hours of work.
Here is a video of my project as I was getting very close to being done, if you want an idea of what’s involved. There are a couple of other videos on my channel that show a little more detail of the steps I took.

I have an A & H 420 with the fancy maple Monte Carlo stock but mine is in 50 cal.; had it since around ‘02. As for smokeless, no, it’s not made for that.
I need another gun like I need another hole in my a**, but if you decide to part with it give me a holler.

I have a A&H that I bought years ago. I have never shot it, as I have my whites. So just the other day, I pulled it out of the safe. It has a synthetic stock and a pretty wood one with a 209 breech plug. I was surprised to find it was a .45cal. I had thought about selling it, but was wondering if it could be changed to a smokeless.
If you are talking about using the same .45 cal barrel for smokeless, then I would say no. That muzzleloader was designed to shoot black powder/BP substitutes, stick with those. If it were mine, I would wait for the upgraded 209 ignition system that's in the works
https://www.badgerridgeind.com/austinhalleckinline.html
If you want to shoot a smokeless powder muzzleloader and not spend a lot of money, get a break action 45-70 coversion. Or, if money isn't a concern, go mild to wild on a custom smokeless muzzleloader.

If you are talking about using the same .45 cal barrel for smokeless, then I would say no. That muzzleloader was designed to shoot black powder/BP substitutes, stick with those. If it were mine, I would wait for the upgraded 209 ignition system that's in the works
https://www.badgerridgeind.com/austinhalleckinline.html
If you want to shoot a smokeless powder muzzleloader and not spend a lot of money, get a break action 45-70 coversion. Or, if money isn't a concern, go mild to wild on a custom smokeless muzzleloader.
I'm real happy they are designing those new plugs, thanks for sharing! Those look like they'll be MUCH better than the 209 conversion I'm using in mine now.

Latest posts

Back