BACO .444-380s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to give these BACO.444 Diameter, 380 Grain cupped base PP bullets a try in my 1:30 Twist Green Mountain LRH (aka ‘Hotrod Hawken’) I shot 6 shots total, I chose to dispose my Cold clean bore shot in the bank, Swab, and then start my 5 shot Group on paper, this was a true 100 yards, actually closer to 110 yards. Not super impressive, but VERY workable, the Group was just under 3”

The bullets, and .463 LDPE OP wads
Fg9gLYF.jpg

My gun, You can see my target on the far bank, Some Genius decided to dump an old Washing Machine out and shoot it full of holes, it’s these same IDIOTS that scream the loudest when these places get gated and Locked away from public access, Truly a Shame! Every year we have a little group of us guys get together and go rake the Garbage up, and burn the Debris, even Local Law enforcement use this pit to Train/Shoot in
LpmTOYD.jpg

And my Target, 5 shot Group, 2 in the same hole, and the other 3 out. This rifle shoots the .444 Diameter, 400 Grain MUCH better (Bullet i am shooting to 500 yards) I need to try these little 380s again from my shooting bench, the Hood of my YoYo is FAR less than ideal!
M119juk.jpg

I have been shooting the same gun and that same bullet this spring with the same results.
Three within an inch and 2 fliers.
75 ,80 and 85 grns by volume and 3 or 4 groups of 5 with each amount of powder.
I now have ordered the 444-400's that I have seen you shoot with good results.
Thanks for confirming. viking

viking said:
I have been shooting the same gun and that same bullet this spring with the same results.
Three within an inch and 2 fliers.
75 ,80 and 85 grns by volume and 3 or 4 groups of 5 with each amount of powder.
I now have ordered the 444-400's that I have seen you shoot with good results.
Thanks for confirming. viking

Viking, I think these little 380s are just to short, not quite enough bearing surface? These went COMPLETELY Awol in my 1:18 twist (Which was pretty much expected) like a 20” Group! LOL! But i have shot the 400s in the 1:18 and they did pretty darn good, There is a BIG difference in that little extra length/weight. I will likely never mess with these little 380s again, i bet they would shoot reasonably well in a stock TC 1:48 Twist .45 Cal

If the .444-400s do as well for you as they have for me, you will be AMAZED!! 70 Grains of Swiss 3F, or 80 Grains of Swiss 2F is my ‘Go To’ loads, i have used a few different OP wads and that didn’t seem to make any difference for me, they all shot equally well. I ended up sticking with the .060 Vege Fibre. That combination sure works good in my rifle :yeah: I have actually thought about deer hunting with this setup, The accuracy is EVERY bit as good as a high end scoped centerfire! :yeah:

Idaholewis, I will for sure try your loads with my new .444-400 bullets but I am told I have a two month layoff from shooting. On March 6 I had detached retina surgery so everything is a little fuzzy. The left eye is improving. Like McArthur said; I shall return. viking

viking said:
Idaholewis, I will for sure try your loads with my new .444-400 bullets but I am told I have a two month layoff from shooting. On March 6 I had detached retina surgery so everything is a little fuzzy. The left eye is improving. Like McArthur said; I shall return. viking

Hang in there Bud! Let that fully heal before shooting! :yeah:

Back