Bad crown not such a big deal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still gonna get it fixed though.
What I have found, is that properly cut patches are a HUGE deal.
I'm cutting patches at the muzzle. If i don't use a very sharp knife, it tends to pull on the patch leaving less around the ball on one side. Invariably, it results in a blown patch and a low shot. Turns what was shaping up to be a fine group, into something less than exciting. Get it right and my (improperly cut lopsided crown ) Lyman G.P. is flirting with an inch for 3 at 50 yards. So far, i haven't poured more than 70 grains down bore. I do hope she won't be a powder pig to get her best accuracy
Currently I'm using a .490 ball and .018 ticking for a patch. Needs a wee pop to get it started, but it rams smoothly and without undue force to seat. Do you think a .495/.015 combo would work better? Haven't slugged her yet.
So far, it would seen that I got a very nice rifle gun for $160.

If this is a T/C I would stay away from the .495 ball. I cast a bunch of the next dimension ball for my T/C and they were TOO TIGHT! They work fine in a Lyman though.

In my GPR i'm using 80gr of Goex 3F for bear and elk. Gun loves it and is very accurate. It's a .54 though. I use a .530 ball and .015 patch.

I have a .50 Lyman GPR flinter. She likes around 90 gr. of 3f and the .490 ball with .018" ticking you described. Groups are the same with .495 but loading is quite a bit stiffer. As long as I center the sprue carefully it doesn't seem to matter if I patch at the muzzle or use square or round precut patches.

CR - if you're cutting your patches at the muzzle you should have a really sharp knife. I'm sure you know that. But if your knife isn't as sharp as it needs to be you can lay the patch material across the muzzle so when you start the ball you have enough material on both sides to hold on to - pinch them together and slice off. You do waste more material but its equal on both sides. Or instead of a knife, use a pair of scissors! Not real traditional but it works.

I have a small pair of scissors that I cut the patches off at the muzzle with. I pinch that cloth up (once it is seated in the front of the muzzle of course) and just cut it off. I have recovered my patches and they look perfect and perfectly round as well. For the most part.

I have a bunch of loading boards. Bigger ones for the range and a smaller 3 ball for hunting. Easy to make and much easier and faster loading when at the range or hunting. So, it's the same as cutting at the muzzle, but easier to do at home. I use a straight razor to cut the patches when loading the boards.

I use either mink oil or bear grease to lube on the patches, so they never dry out on the board. The best part is it all could have been done this way back in the day.

I've turned to doing everything that could have been done in the MM era. Even to cleaning with Tow. Took awhile to get used to that, but it actually works pretty good.

Latest posts

Back