Bareprimer mod to Original DISC Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone was asking in one of the threads, sorry couldn't find it again, what modification Knight does to a bolt to convert an extreme/mountain bolt for use in an Original DISC. I compared two bolts, one unmodified that is in my extreme and one sent in to Knight for modification (thanks Steve Bryant). Jeweled bolt is the modified one. When comparing, you'll see they remove the low shoulder at the rear of the bolt from the handle around to the higher shoulder. Without the mod the bolt hangs up in the rear of the gun when trying to seat it. 20220108_131014.jpg20220108_131006.jpg

Thank you very much for solving the question. Great pics. :lewis:

I have to say this forum is quite pleasant to be a part of. Most gun forums are full of basement couch gun ninjas. Been a member of a descent amount of them. Now just a member to marlinowners and this site. Must have something to do with old guns and respect and politeness to others.

i have noticed that the slot in the bolt is different as well. I will dig up my old disc bolt and take a pic. the original is just a perpendicular slot, the new one has a horizontal component as well.

Slots are different from Orange disc vs Red disc. Red slots allows for more rearward bolt movement for Red fpj insertion. / removal.
The shoulder on the rear of the bolt near the firing pin insertion is oversized . In a very small amount. This built up shoulder can easily be removed and contoured to the bolt diameter.

This has been discussed sometime ago on MML with pictures. I’ll search for the link.

So can you also use a Mountaineer bolt body with a DISC breech plug? If so, does the Mountaineer bolt body also have the shoulder on it

Not sure why you would want to do that but going off memory, when Michiganmuzzy was helping me with a modified bolt he sent me, I could not get the bolt assy with internals installed to "cock" with the original DISC breech plug still in the gun. When I put the Extreme breech plug in the gun fhe bolt was able to "push" against the plug and cocked every time.

The Mountaineer bolt body as it came from Sportsman's Warehouse had/has the shoulder on it. Its the jeweled one in the pick above that I sent to Knight for modification.

Update: i just tried installing my modified Mountaineer bolt assy into the gun with the Original DISC plug installed and the bolt assy wouldn't close. It's just a wee bit too long on my gun to go in far enough. Also, the slot that would hold the orange disc is longer on the Mountaineer bolt which might create a problem. Not sure the discs will even go in the slot.

Last edited:
Sportsman's has them for $70. Knight is selling the same thing for nearly $170

Right, and if you order from Sportsman's, Knight will modify it to fit your Original Disc rifle but if you are not pursuing getting rid of the orange disc then its just a waste of money. I just checked and the orange discs will not fit in the Mountaineer bolt slot. Be advised that on my rifle since I went with the Mountaineer bolt, it will not take the SSK primer adapter that is used on the Extreme, which makes it a PITA to remove the primer. If I had to do it again, I'd go with the Extreme bolt and SSK adapter but the jeweled bolt sure is pretty!

Right, and if you order from Sportsman's, Knight will modify it to fit your Original Disc rifle but if you are not pursuing getting rid of the orange disc then its just a waste of money. I just checked and the orange discs will not fit in the Mountaineer bolt slot. Be advised that on my rifle since I went with the Mountaineer bolt, it will not take the SSK primer adapter that is used on the Extreme, which makes it a PITA to remove the primer. If I had to do it again, I'd go with the Extreme bolt and SSK adapter but the jeweled bolt sure is pretty!
That Mountaineer bolt is meant to take the red FPJs instead of the orange ones, that may be why they dont fit. Idk why your SSK adapter doesn't tho. Mine fit perfectly. Did you check for burrs or anything on either piece? My adapter fit better/tighter in my mountaineer bolt than in my extreme bolt. I think that any machining variance could account for it not fitting?

There’s a difference between the ssk adapter and the knight adapter.

Couldn’t tell you, both mountaineers of mine are bare primer bolts.

So to clarify to all, I have a SSK bare primer adapter for my Extreme and not the red plastic adapter. The goal for my Extreme was to shoot bare primers, I had the same goal for.my original disc but have a Mountaineer bolt assy.

My Extreme bolt inside diameter at the slot is 0.500-.501. The outside diameter of the SSK Extreme bare primer adapter is. 0.498 as shown below. They fit great together.

20220109_204741.jpg20220109_204553.jpg

The jeweled Mountaineer bolt inside diameter of the slot is only 0.384-.385 and the one Michiganmuzzy sent me is 0.383-.385. No way SSK bare primer adapter will fit into those bolts.

Attachments

• 20220109_205239.jpg
    20220109_205239.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
Back