Barnes 195g Expander MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
jsteurrys (Jim) sent the 40 caliber 195g Barnes Expander wishing to see the bullet terminate after shot using a powder charge of 50g Blackhorn.

IMG_3142.JPG

Distance from the rifle to the horse is 25 yard.

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

The bullet went through three jugs; bounced off the fourth, and lay on the ground (see photo) off to the side, near the front of the horse.

IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

280Bravo said:
This is the one I use in my 45 and 50 cal with With excellent results. The BEST bullet ever made.
There is no doubt it is very good but when it comes to putting deer on the ground I think the 200 grain Bloodline is better at least that's my experience.
I wonder if there is a way to compare the temporary and permanent expansion cavities?

One of the problems I have with the Bloodline/Lehigh is the petals shooting off in all directions. I'm not sure how far they go? I use the gutless method to skin and quarter out game. I don't want the guts being penetrating by the petals which would force me to gut the animal. Plus, I don't want the petals penetrating the meat I want to eat.

I have no doubt they're a killer bullet. Maybe someone using them can address my concerns?

Lee 9 said:
280Bravo said:
This is the one I use in my 45 and 50 cal with With excellent results. The BEST bullet ever made.
There is no doubt it is very good but when it comes to putting deer on the ground I think the 200 grain Bloodline is better at least that's my experience.
I wonder if there is a way to compare the temporary and permanent expansion cavities?

Lee, I can offer this jell comparison

LehighPenetration-Jell.jpg

The top bullet is not a Barnes though.

sabotloader said:
Lee 9 said:
280Bravo said:

Lee, I can offer this jell comparison

LehighPenetration-Jell.jpg

The top bullet is not a Barnes though.

Thanks for the pics.

Muley Hunter said:
One of the problems I have with the Bloodline/Lehigh is the petals shooting off in all directions. I'm not sure how far they go? I use the gutless method to skin and quarter out game. I don't want the guts being penetrating by the petals which would force me to gut the animal. Plus, I don't want the petals penetrating the meat I want to eat.

I have no doubt they're a killer bullet. Maybe someone using them can address my concerns?
I use the 200 grain Bloodline a lot in the 45 at 2300 FPS I normally take broadside shots hitting just over the top of the heart; the petals usually end up either in the ribs or between the ribs and the hide.

Lee 9 said:
Muley Hunter said:

I use the 200 grain Bloodline a lot in the 45 at 2300 FPS I normally take broadside shots hitting just over the top of the heart; the petals usually end up either in the ribs or between the ribs and the hide.

The ribs on the entrance side or the far side?

Muley Hunter said:

Pete, I am with you on this. My experience with bullets of these types are with Centerfire, but same concept. I have always preferred a good premium bonded type bullet for Deer and Elk, There is a lot of good meat on the Front Shoulders, why bloodshot and destroy it? I was taught from a little boy to shoot right behind the Foreleg through the Lungs. When i first moved to Idaho I shot a little 3 or 4 Point Whitetail buck perfectly broadside at just over 300 yards, My shot was low and through the heart, Bullet was a Hornady SST 162 Grain in my 7Mag, That bullet literally came undone? It even busted the Gut? And Bloodshot the whole front end of that deer. After skinning him and discovering what a HORRENDOUS mess that SST had made I threw the rest of that box of Loading bullets in the Garbage. I personally would never use a bullet that was designed to Fragment on ANY Game i intended to eat. Coyotes, Hit em with a Grenade! But not the Food i intend to eat

I am in the other camp wrt fragmenting projectiles. I use Bergers in my center fires. Have a CEB loaded just never used it on game. I think it makes for a very quick clean kill. To each their own. We are shooting volkswagon sized projectiles so damage is pretty substantial.

Anyone use the CEB 210gr Maximus on game this year?
I have the Barnes 285gr with good loads but just not as fast as I would prefer with the all copper.

Shane

HOGSJL said:
I am in the other camp wrt fragmenting projectiles. I use Bergers in my center fires. Have a CEB loaded just never used it on game. I think it makes for a very quick clean kill. To each their own. We are shooting volkswagon sized projectiles so damage is pretty substantial.

Anyone use the CEB 210gr Maximus on game this year?
I have the Barnes 285gr with good loads but just not as fast as I would prefer with the all copper.

Shane

I read this 4 times and can't make any sense of it. You jump all over the place and i'm not exactly sure what bullet you're talking about.

Idaholewis said:
Muley Hunter said:

Pete, I am with you on this. My experience with bullets of these types are with Centerfire, but same concept. I have always preferred a good premium bonded type bullet for Deer and Elk, There is a lot of good meat on the Front Shoulders, why bloodshot and destroy it? I was taught from a little boy to shoot right behind the Foreleg through the Lungs. When i first moved to Idaho I shot a little 3 or 4 Point Whitetail buck perfectly broadside at just over 300 yards, My shot was low and through the heart, Bullet was a Hornady SST 162 Grain in my 7Mag, That bullet literally came undone? It even busted the Gut? And Bloodshot the whole front end of that deer. After skinning him and discovering what a HORRENDOUS mess that SST had made I threw the rest of that box of Loading bullets in the Garbage. I personally would never use a bullet that was designed to Fragment on ANY Game i intended to eat. Coyotes, Hit em with a Grenade! But not the Food i intend to eat

That is not the way the Lehigh concept works. I have been using them for several years and have not had a problem with them at all. Most think that they fragment sending bullet parts all over the animal.

The way the bullet is designed to work and the way it works more than 90% of the time is really neat. The HP nose of the bullet is divided into 6 parts, petals. The nose of the bullet will not open without contact with a liquid atmosphere, meaning as the bullet passes through the hide and/or even bone nothing really happens to the nose of the bullet. Remember also that the bullet is either a hardened solid brass or copper, so it is even really hard to deform the bullet or even the nose. Once the nose of the bullet contacts a liquid environment such as the internal organs of the chest cavity, the nose with liquid and enough pressure begins to open. The nose splits into 6 sections and starts bending away from the center as any normal HP would do. When the petals bend to approximately 40*, they break off and circulate upward and outward punching holes in the adjacent organs. The petals weigh approximately 6 grains each. With that weight they do not carry much energy and their ability tip penetrate is very severely hampered. The can puncture nearby organs, but muscle tissue is a big problem for then. They run out of energy very quickly. Even getting through the diaphragm would be difficult, unless shot through. After the petals leave the core of the bullet, the core of the bullet which is the bulk of the weight continues through the animal creating hydrostatic pressure and damage. Normally the core will exit the other side of the animal allowing blood-letting from the chest cavity. I will say that the chest cavity is a mess in most cases.

Personally I have preferred the higher shot on the chest cavity because most time a petal or two WILL penetrate upwards into the spinal column and rupture the spinal cord. Petals in meat may make it about 1/2". Most of the time the petals are contained in the liquid environment of the chest cavity - they just do not have enough energy to go very far. One other point the controlled fracturing of the nose occurs very early in the penetration of the liquid environment,

I have recently been doing some testing of this action. Knowing that the bullet will not operate without a liquid environment I have been shooting the bullet through regular bottles of drinking water. That is about 2 1/2" of water. The purpose of the test is to see at what velocity the bullet fails to operate. I use 10 grain powder increments from 70 grains down to 30 grains using Ron's standard 25 yard distance.

I built a little water testing taget station in the shop the other day. The purpose of the stand was to hole a bottle of water with a target behing the bottle to show the petal penetration. Also it was to designed to show the blast effect of the hydrostatic pressure of the bullet passing though the paper. And the target paper was a thicker quality poster board paper.

Water_Bottle_Testing_Station.jpg

This is a view from the rear of the target stand.

Rear_view.jpg

You can see most of the target is open to the air so the blast effect of the water or the simulation of the fluid atmosphere of the animal might be simulated.

Things yoight keep in mind - shooting water is not totally indicative of shooting blood and organ tissue. As the old saying goes - "blood is thicker than water". As an example a pound of water weighs 8.34 lbs, a pound of blood weighs 8.85 lbs. now add in the additional weight of organ tissue and the weight and density of the chest fluids rises rapidly effecting how long it takes the Lehigh to react. It happens quickly in that fluid atmosphere.

This is a picture of the pre-meausured tubes of powder - reflecting volume not weight...

Bench_1.jpg

As an example this is a picture of 452x265 gr. Lehigh shot with 40 gr. V of powder

Shot_Target_4_-265_x_40g.jpg

If you look closely at the target you can find the holes punched by the petals - but even more importantly with 40 grains V of powder look at the blast effect of the water on the target. You can read the velocity of the shot on the target.

Target_4b_-_265_x_40g.jpg

This picture shows a test shot that failed to fracture - there is a real difference.

Failure.jpg

These pics try to show the damage occurred when shooting a walking/talking animal...

2013_Damage.jpg

2013_External-_Out.jpg

2013_Internal_In-_Out.jpg

Anyway I do not know if this shows you enough to know that these bullets really work and they do have an extra bit of Terminal Ballistics.

Muley we have never (and I hate saying never cuz you no???) encountered a petal in the meat that has been sent to the butcher for processing... And!! I can not say that it never happens.

IdahoLewis - you need to come down and shoot some if these... :D

Ok, Mike. That looks pretty good. I don't worry much about deer and elk. I can always wait to take a double lung shot. My concern is running into a big bore black bear. We have to stalk or call them in here. I always try and stalk or still hunt in the beginning of a month long hunt. If i've had no success and the end of the month is getting close i'll try and call one in.

I don't know if you've ever called in a bear? Sometimes they'll sneak in and circle behind me. They then pick up my scent and be gone if I can't get turned fast enough to get a shot off.

Other times a big boar will come in and throw caution to the wind and charge right at me. They hear the call and they're hungry. They come in with the hope for lunch and want to beat anybody else with the same idea. Like another bear, cat, or coyotes. I point this out to show I don't have much time to take a shot sometimes. I almost never have a sideways double lung shot. It's always straight on or most of the time a quartering to me shot. This means I have to shoot through a shoulder. A big boar has a pretty stout shoulder. Muscle and bone.

With that in mind. Do you think the Lehigh is a better choice than a 290gr Barnes? How do you think the Lehigh would act in that situation? Would it hold together through the shoulder and then expand in the lung? I worry a little bit about the Barnes expanding to quick in the shoulder and losing it's speed enough to not do enough damage after getting through the shoulder.

Whatcha think?

Muley Hunter said:
Ok, Mike. That looks pretty good. I don't worry much about deer and elk. I can always wait to take a double lung shot. My concern is running into a big bore black bear. We have to stalk or call them in here. I always try and stalk or still hunt in the beginning of a month long hunt. If i've had no success and the end of the month is getting close i'll try and call one in.

I don't know if you've ever called in a bear? Sometimes they'll sneak in and circle behind me. They then pick up my scent and be gone if I can't get turned fast enough to get a shot off.

Other times a big boar will come in and throw caution to the wind and charge right at me. They hear the call and they're hungry. They come in with the hope for lunch and want to beat anybody else with the same idea. Like another bear, cat, or coyotes. I point this out to show I don't have much time to take a shot sometimes. I almost never have a sideways double lung shot. It's always straight on or most of the time a quartering to me shot. This means I have to shoot through a shoulder. A big boar has a pretty stout shoulder. Muscle and bone.

With that in mind. Do you think the Lehigh is a better choice than a 290gr Barnes?

Wellll, that is all in the eyes of the shooter... Way back many many years ago I tried Barnes bullets in my 270 and 300 Win Mag. I was having a terrible problem with Hornady's staying together. So I thought I would jump on the Barnes band wagon. Used then a couple of years in both rifles and they worked can not say that they didn't but I did not get the 'sudden' results that I wanted. Then my dad convinced me to try Nosler Partitions. What a change! those were great bullets - controlled expansion - pass throughs - and REALLY great Terminal Ballistics which I liked best of all! Nothing could beat Nosler Partitions - nothing!!

Then Tom talked me into trying these new 'golden' bullets from Lehigh. WOW! I still have several boxes of Noslers. The Lehigh quickly replaced them.

I wrote this several years ago after using the Lehigh bullet for a couple of years... I believe it still is valid today after many years of Lehigh's

The Hunting bullet should be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. The bullet design should allow the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3”, through bone or tissue, before it starts to expand the petals. After the bullet starts to expand or shed it petals it should adversely affect all the surrounding internal organs. The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long. I believe that in most case the bullet should pass through the body providing a secondary exit hole for blood and debris. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into total shock after such a tremendous blow. Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill. Using a bullet matching this description will normally result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot.

How do you think the Lehigh would act in that situation? Would it hold together through the shoulder and then expand in the lung? I worry a little bit about the Barnes expanding to quick in the shoulder and losing it's speed enough to not do enough damage after getting through the shoulder.

Whatcha think?

Personally I think you really have some valid concerns packed into this last paragraph... I have to tell you I am not a bear hunter - I shot one many years ago when I was a kid just so I could say I did harvest a bear - a younger Black Bear. But since then I have never had the urge... I think part of the problem was in MY EYES.... after I had it cleaned and skinned and the hanging from the front legs - it really looked human to me - that has always bothered me!!!

We have bears here and we encounter them hunting here and there - but I have a bigger problem I worry about Wolves and Mountain Lion! I gotta tell you if I needed to shoot a Mountain Lion or Lioness who can get really realy grumpie - please let me have a Lehigh in the bore - especially with a ML!

Hope this makes some sense - mike

Latest posts

Back