Barnes 195g Expander MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent post’s Mike, Them Deer pictures look DARN good! I don’t see anymore damage than a premium centerfire bullet, like a Barnes, Nosler Accubond type bullet. I would have suspected them petals to Bloodshot the Heck out of everything! Those deer pictures you posted give me a different view of the Lehigh.

If i were in Pete’s shoes on a Bear hunt as he describes, i would want a BIG lead Conical though! :yeah:

Mike..........I agree about a skinned bear looks human. That's why I use the gutless method at the kill site. I don't hang it or even spread it out on it's back. I skin one side with the bear laying on it's side. remover F&R quarters, backstraps and loins. Then roll it over on the other side and repeat. I do the same for deer and elk. I'm not a trophy hunter, so I don't care for the hide of the bear or worry about any kind of mount. Just get it cut up and cooled as fast as possible is always my goal.

I can solve my bear problem easily. I can never call one in. That way i'm always sneaking in on the bear and can pick my shots better.

Curiosity is killing me though and I will try the Lehigh bullet at some point. I'm sure it will knock the snot out of anything I hunt.

Thanks for the info.

Muley Hunter said:
I'm not a trophy hunter, so I don't care for the hide of the bear or worry about any kind of mount. Just get it cut up and cooled as fast as possible is always my goal.

I don’t know ya Pete, But this tells me you are a Solid guy! This right here is what it SHOULD be ALL about! :yeah:

My dad brought me up to do no bragging. I feel that's all trophy hunting is. I never had any interest in it. I do hunt for mature animals for the challenge, but I never talk about kills. Hunting is personal for me. It's me and the game trying to outwit each other. My dad also taught me and my brother to still hunt. It's all i'll do, except for bear. I will do some stalking for them.

I have no bias for what others do. We're all free to hunt however we want to.

Thanks for the kind words.

Thank you Ron for testing. This bullet performed perfect IMO in your 50 gr test. I will continue to use this bullet.

jsteurrys said:
.....I will continue to use this bullet.

Well, i can certainly see why, the bullet works real good. In spite of the attempted hijack/deflection, the bullet works real real good. Thank you for providing it.

I don't believe you can get better performance then that, bullet will do a whole lot of damage to the internal organs.My buddy swore by Barnes bullets he killed a ton of deer with them.

ronlaughlin said:
jsteurrys said:
.....I will continue to use this bullet.

Well, i can certainly see why, the bullet works real good. In spite of the attempted hijack/deflection, the bullet works real real good. Thank you for providing it.

Muley Hunter said:
HOGSJL said:
I am in the other camp wrt fragmenting projectiles. I use Bergers in my center fires. Have a CEB loaded just never used it on game. I think it makes for a very quick clean kill. To each their own. We are shooting volkswagon sized projectiles so damage is pretty substantial.

Anyone use the CEB 210gr Maximus on game this year?
I have the Barnes 285gr with good loads but just not as fast as I would prefer with the all copper.

Shane

I read this 4 times and can't make any sense of it. You jump all over the place and i'm not exactly sure what bullet you're talking about.

Sorry. I prefer a fragmenting bullet that creates multiple wound channels.
Bergers and Cutting Edge Ballistics have functional similarities.

HOGSJL said:
Muley Hunter said:
HOGSJL said:
I am in the other camp wrt fragmenting projectiles. I use Bergers in my center fires. Have a CEB loaded just never used it on game. I think it makes for a very quick clean kill. To each their own. We are shooting volkswagon sized projectiles so damage is pretty substantial.

Anyone use the CEB 210gr Maximus on game this year?
I have the Barnes 285gr with good loads but just not as fast as I would prefer with the all copper.

Shane

I read this 4 times and can't make any sense of it. You jump all over the place and i'm not exactly sure what bullet you're talking about.

Sorry. I prefer a fragmenting bullet that creates multiple wound channels.
Bergers and Cutting Edge Ballistics have functional similarities.

Until you bite into a loin that has a petal in it, it has happened

Latest posts

Back