Barnes 275g Bushmaster -- 80g BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3328.JPG

jsteurrys sent (provided) this 275 grain Barnes TSX Bushmaster bullet.

IMG_3442.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the horse is 25 yard. The powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn.

IMG_3446.JPG

The bullet went through every bottle; hit the phone book, and lay on the ground there behind the horse.

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

Its used in Bushmaster and a very similar one in 460S&W. Both can hit close to 2300fps in rifles. IMO its a tad too tough even for that application. The pic i posted before is from Wakeman shooting them at 2400fps from a MLII. Expansion was poor IMO even at that muzzle velocity.

This one is a Fail. It will be interesting to see how the one that you modified performs.

semisane said:
....if you never get around to it that's fine too. I will never be using that bullet. It was just a curiosity thing.

jsteurrys said:
This one is a Fail. It will be interesting to see how the one that you modified performs.

Umm, when i read what Semisane wrote about the modification, i lost interest in pursuing it. The modified bullet i shot this morning, at paper, to establish the aim on the bottles. Interestingly it shot straight; made a real nice cut hole in the paper. An unmodified bullet shot to the same place on paper.

IMG_3440.JPG

When i shot the bottles with the Unmodified Bushmaster, the aim was about 1 1/2" low, and it worked.

Back