Barnes 300 MZ Expander ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
This question deals with a bullet I know alot of smokeless folks shoot so I'm posting here in hopes of some good advice. :) Question primarily deals with bullet performance.

I am considering shooting the Barnes 300 Grain MZ Expanders out of my newly rebarreled flinter. Barrel is a 50 Cal. 28", 1-28 twist Green Mountain. Load likely will be produce approx. 1,500 fps.

Question: Is muzzle velocity of approx. 1,500 fps enough velocity for the Barnes to expand on a deer in hunting ranges 50-100yds??

Thanks.

Yes, Barnes has gotten a 45 deg. opening down to 1000 fps.

1:28 may not be fast enough to stabilize it, though. :cry:

Thanks Randy. I'm also going to shoot the 348 grain Powerbelt Aerotips.

Do you have any other bullet suggestions for me to consider with my set-up?

Have you considered a 250 MZ-Expander? They are normally the better shooters in Knight barrels.

The A & H Mountain Rifle 1:28 flinter I shot did well with 375 Buffalo SSB's pushed by 100 gr. FFFg Goex.

250gr .452 XTP would be a GREAT choice for that twist/velocity as would a 240gr XTP .429! Cheap too...Try both and use the most accurate!

Randy, was thinking about the Barnes 250 MZ. I forgot that Knights were Green Mountain barrels. I can readily get my hands on some of these so definitly will tryem.

Appreciate tip on the 375 Buffalo SSB's.

I got about 1 1/2 weeks to shoot this before a take it out for a couple of day late flintlock hunting so not much time to experiment. I do have a TC Firestorm ready to go in case I cant get comfortable with my newly rebarreled gun.

big6x6 said:
250gr .452 XTP would be a GREAT choice for that twist/velocity as would a 240gr XTP .429! Cheap too...Try both and use the most accurate!

Thanks Chuck. Those are also readily available for me to get too.

Anyone know if the Knight No. 900548 50/250 BARNES RED HOT BULLETS
are the same as the Barnes 250 MZ Expanders?

Loggy said:
Anyone know if the Knight No. 900548 50/250 BARNES RED HOT BULLETS
are the same as the Barnes 250 MZ Expanders?

In Athens, AL it is! :D

Back