Barnes T-EZ ----VS---- Barnes T-MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
I was wondering if there would be any difference in accuracy between these two bullets? I've fired the 290g T-EZ and seem to get pretty good accuracy with them. But the T-MZ has a boat tail base and the T-EZ has a flat base. What's the advantage/disadvantage of a boat tail versus a flat?

There very well could be, they are both good bullets in the majority of guns but do to the 360 degree vibration of a rifled barrel there are very few bullets if any that are consistent from gun to gun in the same brand;
the point I am making here is that the ONLY way to really know what will work well in a particular gun is to try it and keep a record.
The advantage of a boat tail base is reducing drag.
The disadvantage of a boat tail base in a muzzle loader is it requires a special sabot that as far as I know only comes in one petal thickness so if your barrel does not fit the bullet sabot combo you can not adjust it by using a different sabot. Lee

The Boat-tail version can only be used with a boat-tail designed sabot.Actually there are 2 different sabots available for the boat-tails.Barnes has the Yellow sabot and Knight also has a "Easy glide" sabot available for them.I do believe that the easy glide has a little thinner petals.What is really nice about the T-EZ flat-based is that you have a bunch of choices between sabots to fine tune to your gun.I have shot both and have not really noticed a bunch of difference.

somebody correct me if iam wrong but ..i bought a box of KNIGHT EZ LOAD BARNES PBT high pressure sabots ..250gr. and they are easy to load in my T/C ENCORE ..waiting for the snow to melt ,to try them out..

Wait for the pic to load in the top post by Chuck. Check the top right for the measurements of the boat-tail bullets, also the listed 300 grain is actually a 290 grain. Graphics typo. The new blue EZ Loads w/bullets measure .501", the old Yellow sabots w/bullets measure .506". My knight loves the old yellow ones but doesn't like the new blue ones. Looks like Knight has discontinued the yellow, I hope Barnes doesn't too.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

Busta said:
Wait for the pic to load in the top post by Chuck. Check the top right for the measurements of the boat-tail bullets, also the listed 300 grain is actually a 290 grain. Graphics typo. The new blue EZ Loads w/bullets measure .501", the old Yellow sabots w/bullets measure .506". My knight loves the old yellow ones but doesn't like the new blue ones. Looks like Knight has discontinued the yellow, I hope Barnes doesn't too.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

yes i saw that [very well documented] i wanted to place an order for the BARNES TMZ [YELLOW SABOTS] and CABELAS in canada were all sold out .no rush i won't need them before the end of april ..

Back