Barrel cleaner or water

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streitl

Reaction score
I just bought a T/C Omega. It's a 50 caliber with a blued barrel. I but a BSA Huntsman 3x9x44 scope on it. Although I have not shot it yet, I plan on using 777 pellets with a Precision Rifle's Dead Center 260 gr. bullet. My question for all you experienced shooters out there - Do you use an actual barrel cleaner when cleaning, or do you simply use water? Also, what do you suggest I buy to apply to the bore when putting the gun away for an extended period of time? Is there anything I should put on the outside of the barrel? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum!

For cleaning the bore of a Triple Se7en/Pyrodex gun the best I have found is Birchwood/Casey No 77 Black Powder Solvent. I've tried hot water, Rusty Duck Black Off, Thompson/Center #13, Ballistol, Knight Black Powder Solvent, and Butch's Black Powder Bore shine. Birchwood/Casey is the best BUT Butch's is a close second..

After cleaning the bore and thoroughly drying you need to apply any good gun oil to the bore and to the exterior as well. I usually use Break Free lubricant/preservative but there are several good gun oils out there.

What would be an example of a gun oil to apply? Would I apply this oil to both the inside and outside of the barrel?

streitl said:
What would be an example of a gun oil to apply? Would I apply this oil to both the inside and outside of the barrel?

Here are the ones I use...Break Free lubricant/preservative, Birchwood/Casey Synthetic gun oil, and Butch's Bench Rest gun oil. Apply to the bore with a patch, to the breechplug, and to the exterior of the rifle/action.

streitl said:

big6X6 said:
After cleaning the bore and thoroughly drying you need to apply any good gun oil to the bore and to the exterior as well. I usually use Break Free lubricant/preservative but there are several good gun oils out there.

Looks like Chuck answered. I happen to agree with him. Breakfree CLP is the way to go.

streitl said:
I just bought a T/C Omega. It's a 50 caliber with a blued barrel. I but a BSA Huntsman 3x9x44 scope on it. Although I have not shot it yet, I plan on using 777 pellets with a Precision Rifle's Dead Center 260 gr. bullet. My question for all you experienced shooters out there - Do you use an actual barrel cleaner when cleaning, or do you simply use water? Also, what do you suggest I buy to apply to the bore when putting the gun away for an extended period of time? Is there anything I should put on the outside of the barrel? Thanks for the help.
I would use the water and dawn dish soap method, sure don"t seem right to get that gun all wet but i have tried everything and seems i always end up back using soap and water. good luck

I still use water and a small amount of diswashing soap AFTER scrubbing out with butchs cleaner. However, I don't want to leave any water for any length of time in the barrel and you just can't get it all out with a patch.

Ater butche's cleaner and then water, I stand the barrel up on a porch or other floor that doesn't matter getting wet, then I pour boiling water down the barrel. The boiling water should get any remaining soap out and it dries out the barrel since boiling water evaporates pretty fast.

Several minutes after I pour the water, I pick up the gun with a hot pad holder (it will still be hot) and run dry patches through it. Then I put a light coat of oil inside and out.

HOWEVER, when you are ready to shoot it again, first run some dry patches throught it, then pop a couple of caps off with an empty barrel. This will remove the remaining oil out of the barrel and prevent misfires.

HOT water, push dry patches, spray on some BC Sheath on a clean rag and wipe down the exterior. Finally saturate a patch in BC Sheath run down the bore, stand bore down over night on a rag to ensure excess does not fall back into the action or trigger assembly. Prior to firing I run a few dry patchs just to ensure excess oil is removed. I never install the breech until I am reading to load the ML, this tells me I need to patch and no fear of a misfire with oil in the breech or nipple area. I have never snapped a primer on a clean ML nor have I found the need with this practice. If your breech isn't removed then I can see use for a primer fire or if your ml likes a light fouling.

On the range I use washer fluid/isprophyl alcohol as my swabbing solution between shots. Ringed out solution patch pushed down in short strokes, flip over do the same process and follow with a few dry patchs.

Pail of warm soapy water to start, followed by a couple of dry patches. After that, dry thuroughly then apply Break Free. Has worked for me for a few years and counting now. And also Break Free on the outside. It's all good.

I use traditions bore solvent and their 1000 plus cleaning patches .Plus this year I am going to try butch's bore shine .
Charlie

Back