Bergara Barrel info

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old/new

Reaction score
The following is from Mike Belm's news letter if your interested. Take it for what it's worth.

Last night curiosity got the best of me and I uncovered the Rockwell hardness tester to check out the hardness of the Bergara Encore barrels.

"Cheap, Soft Spanish guns" has traditionally sometimes been true, unfortunately, which I can personally vouche for in regard to some I have had such as a Llama 1911 type .45 ACP that had the slide showing signs of stretching after very little use. Likewise, my .45 Firestar shows signs of stretching with only a few Federal +Ps run through it.

Likewise, Taurus handguns from Brazil once had a reputation for being cheaply made, but today it is another story entirely with Taurus putting out superb guns that rival the very best. Frankly, I have picked up several Taurus wheel guns that left me lusting for one myself!

Over the past year and a half doing machine work on Bergara barrels, I have rechambered, cut and crowned, relined, had numerous barrels cut rifle rebored to larger calibers, drilled and tapped, and cut my TBOSS into them.

Their steel machines VERY nicely. Harking back to the days when I did a lot of cut rifling reboring, off the cuff in terms of machineability, I would put the Bergara Encore barrel steel somewhere between early Winchester stainless steel and Ruger's blued, chrome-moly, steel for machining easily and very cleanly.

Cut rifle reboring will tell you more about the machining qualities of barrel steel probably better than any other test. The Bergara barrels I have had rebored recently have cut rifled beautifully!

Internal finishes and the costs to produce those finishes are in part a function of how readily the steel machines and is reflected in the finishes of both the bores and the chambers of the Bergara barrels and their excellent price points.

The point of this Newsletter is this. Has anything by way of barrel hardness (ie, tensile strength) been sacrificed to get these nice finishes at the price we pay for the product?

Drum rollllllll:

Blued steel Bergara Encore barrels Rockwell hardness tested at Rc 25.
Stainless steel Bergara Encore barrels Rockwell hardenss tested Rc 17.
(Their Encore muzzle loader barrels are made from the same steel as their rifle barrels.)

How does this compare with other high power rifle barrels?

Quick summary of checks I have made over the years:

Older vintages of military Mauser barrels and early 1903 Springfield .30/06 manganese steel barrels around Rc 10.

Later Springfield .30/06 barrels made from what P.O. Ackley said was "WD4140," WD meaning "War Department", was around Rc17, the average hardness of "normalized," ie, air cooled 4140 steel.

The majority of commercial barrels from Winchester, Remington, Ruger, etc. tested around Rc 24-26, while at the time I tested them, the Savage 110 barrels were right up there at around Rc 30-32.

Shilen barrels at the time were Rc 19 while Douglas was around Rc 25.

Current Shilen barrels run around Rc 29-30.

Most 416 stainless rifle barrels are around Rc 20, +/-.

As you can see, barrel steel hardnesses range all over the planet, over the entire hardness range from dead soft annealed up through about Rc 32, the upper end of the hardness range that still readily permits the types of machining operations involved in making barrels.

Bottom line:
The Bergara Encore barrels made in Bergara, Spain are right where they need to be for hardness, which determines in large part the tensile strength of the steel.

"Soft Spanish guns" does not apply here!

Another plus for Bergara barrels!

Mike Bellm

Some of us have known for quite some time that Bergara barrels are excellent, The only problem with this is that it takes a breach plug just as good because that's the part that is aim strait at you. There are some guns in certain brands that have been having some cracked breach plugs show up. Lee

they even show up in never fired rifles too.

Thats why you should clean your rifle after every use to check everything over to make sure its safe and ready to use for the next outing.

frontier gander said:
they even show up in never fired rifles too.

Thats why you should clean your rifle after every use to check everything over to make sure its safe and ready to use for the next outing.

Always a good safe practice!

A lot of people confuse the newer barrels with the extruded barrels they made in the past for Traditions, CVA and Austin & Halleck. Bergara has spent a lot of money on new equipment and even brought in Ed Shilen and they are going big time for the aftermarket barrel business. I do not know if the are still doing the extruded barrels for the lower end Traditions, CVA and Winchester MLs. I know RW is slamming them pretty hard (of course he didn't do that when he was working with A & H).

and you dont see RW slamming toby bridges - even though TB had a savage muzzle loader blow up.

Some of these guys are a bit shady in areas and wont answer your direct question.

And taking it for what it's worth- any rockwell count below 20 is worthless, the metal is too soft to give an accurate reading on a rockwell tester.

mirage1988 said:
And taking it for what it's worth- any rockwell count below 20 is worthless, the metal is too soft to give an accurate reading on a rockwell tester.

depends on which hardness scale your tester reads in.

rossman40 said:
A lot of people confuse the newer barrels with the extruded barrels they made in the past for Traditions, CVA and Austin & Halleck. Bergara has spent a lot of money on new equipment and even brought in Ed Shilen and they are going big time for the aftermarket barrel business. I do not know if the are still doing the extruded barrels for the lower end Traditions, CVA and Winchester MLs. I know RW is slamming them pretty hard (of course he didn't do that when he was working with A & H).

That's because A&H did their own testing.

old/new said:
Drum rollllllll:

Blued steel Bergara Encore barrels Rockwell hardness tested at Rc 25.
Stainless steel Bergara Encore barrels Rockwell hardenss tested Rc 17.
(Their Encore muzzle loader barrels are made from the same steel as their rifle barrels.)

How does this compare with other high power rifle barrels?

Mike Bellm[/i]

Does anyone know the hardness of other common inlines??

Dave

The reason stainless has a hardness value lower than carbon steel is because of the chromium content of stainless. When stainless is heat treated it becomes brittle, (Not really what you want in a rifle barrel)

Latest posts

Back