Best All-Around 350 Legend Rifle??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beginning January 1st in IL, it will be legal to hunt with straight wall cartridges (single shot at a time). Now, I don't want to actually buy a single shot rifle, hoping that eventually the lawmakers will develop some common sense and allow 3 cartridges to be used when hunting, just as is the case with shotguns. I have no idea what their logic was on that rule. For the time-being however, we will have to load one round manually, without the mag attached. My daughter has been looking forward to this for quite a while, since she has used my buddy's 3505) Legend that his boys hunt with in IA. They are using a Savage Axis with an 18" barrel. It is super accurate, but the bolt is not smooth, and I would like a longer barrel. I have done quite a bit of research but without having my hands on them it is difficult to make a decision. At this point, the items I would like to have include the following:

1) Easy to load a single round
2) 22" barrel
3) 60 degree bolt throw
4) Smooth bolt retraction
5) Strips the next round consistently well
6) Most importantly, accuracy

At the moment, the models at the top of the list would be the following;
1) Franchi Momentum Elite
2) Winchester XPR
3) Ruger American Rifle with 22" barrel

I already have a scope that I will be putting on, so don't need a model that comes with one. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

I have the Ruger, but its in 450bm, i can and do easily reload it 1 shot at a time with the empty mag in it. I shoot it to 200yds and put an upgrade Timney trigger in it. I love that gun.

Last edited:
I have the Ruger American (22” barrel, not a Ranch model) in 350L. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the magazine hanging way out. The action isn’t exactly buttery smooth, but no jamming or loading issues that I’ve had, and it is as accurate as I can ask of it. If they could come up with a flush fitting 2-3 round magazine, I’d have no complaints overall for it being a relatively cheap rifle. As it is, I still wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Checked out both the CVA and Howa. CVA is a possibility, but the Howa's barrel is too short. I did read some complaints regarding the CVA's feeding system. I also read some reviews that the Ruger I was interested in had feeding issues as well with the AR-style mags.

I know you don’t want to buy a single shot but the CVA Scout with its Bergara barrel is extremely accurate. I have one in 444 Marlin and it is one of my best shooters.

I've lived all my life in Illinois. You should know this statement is laughable......hoping that eventually the lawmakers will develop some common sense.
Yes, I know
I know you don’t want to buy a single shot but the CVA Scout with its Bergara barrel is extremely accurate. I have one in 444 Marlin and it is one of my best shooters.
The CVA single shot had crossed my mind, as well as the Henry Single Shot, but I would prefer to go with a model that allows for extra rounds to be held. I did see that Henry single shots in 350 Legend are nowhere to be found at the moment. Maybe a bunch were purchased by individuals in IL???

Got a CVA scout for my 8 yr old Grandson for his birthday and love it. His first year hunting and he took a nice Indiana buck at 110 yards using a Hornady 170 grain bullet.

Checked out both the CVA and Howa. CVA is a possibility, but the Howa's barrel is too short. I did read some complaints regarding the CVA's feeding system. I also read some reviews that the Ruger I was interested in had feeding issues as well with the AR-style mags.
I have a pair of 3 round mags and never had a feed issue. Its almost flush. I wish they had a 5 round mag for it in 450

For the price of the higher end bolt rifles I’d look into a custom gun and get what you want all at once

Any reason not to do one in the AR platform?
Yes, so many reasons. All the reasons. ARs are great rifles but you cant really load up hot rounds for them. They have a pressure limit that comes no where near a bolt gun. And they dont even exist in the same world as a single shot can handle. I like my AR but its pretty boring compared to a ML. But i am very biased.

Latest posts

Back