Best choice of bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjsfire

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got a CVA Wolf a while back and I'm trying to decide which bullet to work with for deer hunting. I get great groups with the Powerbelt 245gr Areotips on paper. My concern is do they preform when hitting bone. I've heard horror stories. I need a bullet that can penetrate and abosultly knock the livin heck out of a deer and drop it if I hit the front shoulder. I usually shoot for the heart lung but I've heard the Powerbelts shell apart on impact with bone. Two considerations are the Hornady SST's and the XTP's. Any suggestions? Thanks

I would steer clear of the powerbelts. I had a memorable hunt with them once... and not because it was a "great time" I shot a doe @ short range with one in my .45 and it all but blew the leg off, it was actually hanging by skin and tendons.. over an hour later I finished her off.

I have only shot the heaviest powerbelts since then but have never hunted with them...

Anyhow, the 275 parker BE's shoot well in the CVA Wolf. I was on a hunt last year with Big6x6 and a guy in camp had the same gun and had trouble grouping with it. If I remember correctly, 90gr of 777 FFg loose and a 275 parker shot very well out of that gun.

Parkers are good bullets made by good, honest people.

JJ-

I have to agree with everything said here. The XTPS/Shockwaves/SSTs are a better choice. Maybe even better still are the Parker Ballistic Extremes. The 275gr Ballistic Extreme is an extremely accurate bullet and a proven game getter.

Agree, stay away from the powerbelts. Great for sighting in though. Barnes Expanders and XTP's

Latest posts

Back