Best long range muzzleloader ? ? ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
I'm not bashing any brand by this post . I'm just bragging my brand up a little ! Barry Blackwell (A Knight Representative) is hoisting a muzzleloader match March 17th . I wanted to do a little super tuning on my Knight Mountaineer .45 1-20 . I played around a little with my sizing die and seating pressure . This is a 3 shot group I shot at 100 yards . 84 grains Blackhorn 209 with a 275 grain bullet and a wool wad . I truly feel when it comes to a long range Manufactured built muzzleloader at the present time . Knight is the BEST hands down !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180309-092635_resized_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20180309-092635_resized_1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 564
  • Screenshot_20180309-092635_resized_1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 564
Really nice, ought to do well in the Terretorial I think is this weekend. Match is part or something new being tried by Charter Clubs of NMLRA. Barry and John are a new Club Charter in Tenn. Athens. First time for Inlines in this program. Good luck if you go. I agree on Knight Rifles

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I'm not bashing any brand by this post . I'm just bragging my brand up a little ! Barry Blackwell (A Knight Representative) is hoisting a muzzleloader match March 17th . I wanted to do a little super tuning on my Knight Mountaineer .45 1-20 . I played around a little with my sizing die and seating pressure . This is a 3 shot group I shot at 100 yards . 84 grains Blackhorn 209 with a 275 grain bullet and a wool wad . I truly feel when it comes to a long range Manufactured built muzzleloader at the present time . Knight is the BEST hands down !

Hard to beat that! I have 3 of the 1-20 Knights - 2 Super DISC's and a Mountaineer - they shoot outstanding! I certainly could not match that group but for hunting with the right bullet they are deadly...

I own a few custom .45s . A custom rifle is a little more user friendly. Less leakage ect... But when comparing accuracy there is not much of a difference . This was a Knight Mountaineer that I have not done anything to other than shoot . It would be very hard to beat the accuracy I'm getting out of these Knight Mountaineers for a hunting gun . At 100 yards the Mountaineers will shoot right with my 500 . I'm very curious how well these 1-20 rifles will shoot beyond 200 yards. I hope to do some long range testing when I get time . The match this weekend has a 200 yard max distance.

That is some fine trigger pulling!! Good luck this weekend.

dragonfly said:
If I shot a group like that, I'd post the pic 3 times. :lol:
If I shot a group like that I would probably drop dead from a heart attack :)
I could shoot a group like that come to think about it, but the powder burns on the target would give me away.

Outstanding Doug! :yeah: That rifle right there is definitely a shooter!

Well guys a blind sow will find a ear of corn every once in a while ! I shot several groups tha were in the 1 inch range before really tightening things up . I'm just amazed what a factory built gun is capable of .

Yes Sharp I was able to post this picture from my phone exactly like you said . Thank you very much for the help

I'm with you on these 45 Knights.
I've done this more than once.. But, only with a rear rest - as most of my shooting is without a rear rest.
500gr PP over Swiss 2F - I do believe until your rifle can do this you will not consistently do well at really long range.

I've only did this once at 200 with 3 in 1 hole - last spring with the new Mtnr.

I guess this topic (Long Range) really belongs in the LR section of this site, but it is great to see a rifle to be able to handle loads on extreme ends of the spectrum.
Good shooting Doug.

Attachments

• 100 target 1 hole.JPG
    100 target 1 hole.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 200 3.jpg
    200 3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 407
Dougs136Schwartz said:
I'm not bashing any brand by this post . I'm just bragging my brand up a little !

NICE SHOOTING!!! Sure is neat when everything comes together and works like that!! I have shot a couple of groups like that over the years, Those ragged hole 100 yard groups don’t happen everyday, Cherish the moment :yeah:

dragonfly said:
If I shot a group like that, I'd post the pic 3 times. :lol:

I'm with you on that! Wow... great shooting for sure!!! :yeah: :yeah:

I agree, the factory Knights are an outstanding rifle in so many ways. :D

Latest posts

Back