Best Primer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The season is 1st week of December. I'm at least going into the shop tomorrow. I called today and they said it shouldn't be a problem for warranty. I am going to ask how long it takes and if I'll have it back in time.

It looks like a manufacturing defect to me.

Just as an additional FYI, when you get your gun back try Harvester EZ load smooth sabots. They should help your groups dramatically. Every CVA I've had preferred them & my APEX wouldn't shoot better than a 5 inch group in most cases. Dont waste your time with big box stores.
Call Carlos at Ed's Gin Shop 910-692-7936, He'll have everything you need (& he'll know what you need) and likely for much less. You won't find a better person to deal with.

Greg

I will look into those for sure. I'll likely have to order them online......everywhere around me really doesn't have a hug selection of muzzleloading ammo and accessories.

Has anyone ever tried the Remington Kleenbore primers? They say they're supposed to help keep things cleaner than standard 209 primers.....just wondering if anyone has experience with them and whether or not the 'clean' part is true.

Yes, Kleenbores are clean and weak. Works great with 777 and real blackpowder, but it's trusted use with Blackhorn 209 is real limited and dependent on breechplug manufacturer and design. I cannot vogue for Kleenbore's use with Pyrodex, American Pioneer/Shockey Gold/Black Mag-type powders. I quit using those powders a long time ago. I quit using 777 a few years ago.

TripleSe7en said:
Yes, Kleenbores are clean and weak. Works great with 777 and real blackpowder, but it's trusted use with Blackhorn 209 is real limited and dependent on breechplug manufacturer and design. I cannot vogue for Kleenbore's use with Pyrodex, American Pioneer/Shockey Gold/Black Mag-type powders. I quit using those powders a long time ago. I quit using 777 a few years ago.

Thanks....any idea how they'd hold up with White Hots? Similar to 777? I do remember getting a nasty crud ring with the Federals......not sure if a muzzleloader specific primer would improve accuracy as well...

After spending an hour reading mosstly favorable reviews on White Hots, the consensus is that a mid-level shotshell 209 primer like Winchester 209s are ideal for White Hots in extreme weather. Perhaps other board members with experience with White Hots will chime-in later today or tomorrow.

thanks....I'll keep them in mind and give them a try if the Federal's affect my accuracy at all...

Got an update about my gun today.....it's been gone for 3 weeks and hasn't even been looked at! They said they'd follow up with the gunsmith in a week or so but I asked that they phone him back Monday.

If they can't get it repaired/part replaced in time I may just demand a replacement.

Black Powder season is like 2 weeks away!

MrChristopher said:
Got an update about my gun today.....it's been gone for 3 weeks and hasn't even been looked at! They said they'd follow up with the gunsmith in a week or so but I asked that they phone him back Monday.

If they can't get it repaired/part replaced in time I may just demand a replacement.

Black Powder season is like 2 weeks away!

Man that sucks. That is always the concern when its close to hunting season. If I was you, I'd be making a backup plan asap...plan on not having the gun back. If you do get it, great... but if you count on it being back as your plan, well you'll probably be screwed.

Ya I will have to figure something out. I asked the store over the phone if they could get the gunsmith to look at it this week. I'm guessing at worst it took a week to ship to their gunsmith so that means he's had it for likely at least 2 weeks.....not sure why it hasn't been looked at....it likely needs replaced but for some reason the store can't make that call, they have to send it to their gunsmith who then makes the warranty claim.

I think if they can't guarantee it back by hunting season I might try and just demand a replacement....worth a shot. If I don't have the gun I can't go hunting...there's not really a backup plan. I'm the only one I know with a muzzleloader.

I don't know why the store didn't just replace it on the spot since it was so new. It was only about a month old when I took it back. It had some of gouge/pit in the barrel. I'm guessing manufacturers defect.

Back