Best Primers to Use with Remington 700 UML?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahHunter

Reaction score
After several years with my Remington 700 UML I have finally gotten to the point where I have just about used up all the factory primed cases I purchased with the weapon. I am reloading now, and I am getting ready to deprime and reprime all of these cases. I have about 600 new Winchester large rifle magnum primers. I shoot Blackhorn 209 exclusively with this muzzleloader with excellent results.

Are these primers acceptable/reliable for this application, or would I be better off with Federal or CCI? I know on Blackhorn's site, they recommend Federal or CCI shotshell primers but that's obviously not an alternative in this case.

Thank you for any and all suggestions/recommendations?

LRMP will work, just inspect your breech plug frequently for gas cutting. With the stock plug and BH 209, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" it will gas cut.
There are a bunch of threads here on this issue with RUML.

LRMP will work, just inspect your breech plug frequently for gas cutting. With the stock plug and BH 209, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" it will gas cut.
There are a bunch of threads here on this issue with RUML.
Thank you for the information! Being late in life to start with firearms and hunting (started in my late 50's, now 70) I took many classes in handguns, shotgun, and precision rifle (and still do). However, I had to learn about muzzleloaders on my own. I have not heard the term "gas cutting " before, but I can hazard a pretty good guess of what it means and will look up the threads you suggest. I do pull my breech plug at least once a year and apply anti-seize lubricant to it, and to date, have not noticed any change in its appearance.

I converted my Remington UML to smokeless this year, but it was still an awesome shooter stock. I always used triple seven based on what I have read regarding Blackhorn and the stock set up on the Remington. You can replace the ignition system with an Arrowhead ignition system (would just use large rifle primers instead of priming cases). By the way, if you want to buy my old cases you are more than welcome. I would sell them for $10, plus the cost to ship. Personally, if you want to continue with Blackhorn I with use the Arrowhead system. Look it up on the Web and you will see what I'm talking about.

Thank you for the information! Being late in life to start with firearms and hunting (started in my late 50's, now 70) I took many classes in handguns, shotgun, and precision rifle (and still do). However, I had to learn about muzzleloaders on my own. I have not heard the term "gas cutting " before, but I can hazard a pretty good guess of what it means and will look up the threads you suggest. I do pull my breech plug at least once a year and apply anti-seize lubricant to it, and to date, have not noticed any change in its appearance.
For reference..........

Gas cut breech plug.jpg

I converted my Remington UML to smokeless this year, but it was still an awesome shooter stock. I always used triple seven based on what I have read regarding Blackhorn and the stock set up on the Remington. You can replace the ignition system with an Arrowhead ignition system (would just use large rifle primers instead of priming cases). By the way, if you want to buy my old cases you are more than welcome. I would sell them for $10, plus the cost to ship. Personally, if you want to continue with Blackhorn I with use the Arrowhead system. Look it up on the Web and you will see what I'm talking about.
I tried the Arrowhead system a couple of years ago and it would not install properly in my UML for some reason. It just wouldn't thread in and I ended up returning it. Now we have a couple of young guys in town who have set up shop gunsmithing and I will probably try an Arrowhead system again if they say they can sort out the issue. I know I will need to do something.

For reference..........

View attachment 23664

Have you ever tried pouring something into a funnel by turning the funnel upside-down and attempted to pour the material into the small end of the funnel?

The LRMP modules from Arrowhead do the exact opposite, because the small brass nipple on the module works like a normal funnel.

If the UML breechplug/cartridge (module) fit is not perfect, how much gas is wasted because the funnel is upside-down?

........................ If the UML breechplug/cartridge (module) fit is not perfect, how much gas is wasted because the funnel is upside-down?
Depends on how bad the gas cutting of the nipple is.
The design is actually great. However, head spacing has always been an issue, not only with the breech plug, but the PP brass carriers. The brass that Remington uses has a head thickness variation of up to .020" and are not always centered100_4791b.jpg. Its impossible to get proper head spacing.
Better brass, such as Starline still has .005" variance.

The systems can be made perfect but not without considerable labor.

For reference:

The design is actually great.

In my humble opinion, the LRMP modules and breech plugs from Arrowhead Rifles are at least 100% better, because they turned the funnel around. The headspace is not as critical, because the nipple on the brass module goes down into the breech plug and directs the gases toward the propellant.

If you are trying to use a funnel to pour water into a bottle, turning the funnel upside-down can cause problems.

In my humble opinion, the LRMP modules and breech plugs from Arrowhead Rifles are at least 100% better, because they turned the funnel around. The headspace is not as critical, because the nipple on the brass module goes down into the breech plug and directs the gases toward the propellant.

If you are trying to use a funnel to pour water into a bottle, turning the funnel upside-down can cause problems.
There is no doubt that the Arrowhead system is much better.

As I mentioned prior, the design actually was great. However, the brass carriers presented the head spacing problems. You can't have a case that varies .020" in head thickness and have a perfect seal (RUM), and up to .005" with Starline.

I know about as much about the UML as Ken did. If he hadn't been so hard headed, he could have fixed the head space issues and made even more money.

I totally eliminated any head spacing issues with my UML. It required more work than I'd want to do again but, the problem of head spacing was solved.

There's been an awful lot of game, including African game, taken with a UML. I've shot some pretty nice groups with a UML at long range using pellets. Its one of the few, if not the only muzzleloader you can take a new rifle, mount a scope on it, use the recommended charge and bullet, zero the rifle and it shoot to the POA. No muss, no fuss.

The Arrowhead system made it a much better rifle. Mine was the first UML Luke converted.

I tried the Arrowhead system a couple of years ago and it would not install properly in my UML for some reason. It just wouldn't thread in and I ended up returning it. Now we have a couple of young guys in town who have set up shop gunsmithing and I will probably try an Arrowhead system again if they say they can sort out the issue. I know I will need to do something.

It might only require the threads in your barrel to be cleaned up a little with a new tap of the right size.

I ordered their gear yesterday after speaking to my local gunsmith who actually owns one and hunts with it. He said he could help me work out any of the problems with the system installing properly.
did you ever get this going? do you think the arrowhead is actually better than what came with it,, i've noticed the modules are available again now.

did you ever get this going? do you think the arrowhead is actually better than what came with it,, i've noticed the modules are available again now.
Yes, it works satisfactorily. I can't say I love it. The carriers they use for the primers are small, easy to drop, and expensive. I really preferred the Remington cases - much easier to handle.

Back