Best short range deer gun (inside 150 yards)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to get my hands on the 45-70 auto AR rifle but $4800 is out of my price range. They cut off the rim to function in semi auto rifles and loaded it to Ruger #1 action pressures. Sends a 325 gr FTX at 2300 fps. I was drooling but I'd have to sell a kidney or something, LOL.

At those ranges, 100 yds to 150 yds and when I want the game ((( DRT ))). I am just getting to darn old to chase them any more. I have two old Marlins one in 45-70 and the other in a 444. Both have done the trick very well for me, many times over the years. And I prefer long barreled rifles over short barreled Carbines. And I have always like heavy bullets.
ken

Any of my muzzleloaders. Only have one breechloading deer rifle, my 760 .35 Remington.
That'll do just fine.
Had a deer stolen once. A doe. Scumbag did it right infront of his kid! One hole broadside. They were facing it. The way he patted his rifle said the discussion was over.
I told the kid to watch his old man and learn. Real fine example he is.
Dude looked like he wanted to use the rifle...

I have a old .308 win bolt rifle that I used for a long time. Then I went with a vintage .35 REM semiauto rifle for years. Besides deer I hunted s lot of pigs with it too. More current I switched over to a .450 bushmaster semiauto. Deer and pigs, but mostly pigs anymore. People seem to think I am hunting poor little Bambi or something. Another good one I’d my 6.5 creedmoor bolt rifle. It worked well for deer hunting. I think that which brand or model of a gun doesn’t really matter. Now my very first deer rifle was a 7,65 Argentine and it served me well as a teenager. But a lot of guys my age were using 30-30 lever carbines to good effect for deer hunting. I really do not remember anyone downing a deer beyond 200 yards. Heck 50 yards seemed to be way out there for a long shot.

I'd love to get my hands on the 45-70 auto AR rifle but $4800 is out of my price range. They cut off the rim to function in semi auto rifles and loaded it to Ruger #1 action pressures. Sends a 325 gr FTX at 2300 fps. I was drooling but I'd have to sell a kidney or something, LOL.
Probably something!

870 magnum with a 26in. Ported barrel using 3in. 1oz Copper sabots. I have shot past 200 yards its stops deer and hogs and shot 3 deer on a drive that was witnessed by others and it was only 3 shots I've killed the most deer with that gun than with my 30-06 bolt. I haven't used the bolt since1992 or my 760 308 since now I use the accutip remington sabots it's even more deadly accurate it now a 52 cal at 383grn. It tips them over but it big holes in them.

Whitetails at 150 yards and in, easy choice a 357 Maximum. Very little recoil and muzzle blast. No need for a T. rex load even for large whitetails. Deadly accurate.

Encore 357 Max 26" Mike Bellm chamber.
CVA Scout 357 Max 14" David White rechamber.
CVA black/blue Scout 45-70 conversion converted by jimbob
For longer than 200yds or more, custom Model 700 280AI 25" Dave Tooley chamber.
The 280AI pretty much stays in the case.
All 4 are proven killers!!

Wow this thread is wide open. First off you'd have to describe your definition of "best". Is it accuracy, power, handiness and functionality. Some would argue all you need is the good old 94 in 30-30. Others would say a scope sighted 700 in 30-06 etc.
IMHO inside 150 yards anything from .243 on up that can shoot a 3-4 MOA will suffice for deer.
Yes some use the .223 and do quite well with it but IMO its too light and most rifles in this caliber do not have barrels with the correct twist to handle the heavier bullets well (but will meet the accuracy criteria above). Hunting PA woods for over 55 years now as well as out west I've shot a lot of deer and bear with different chamberings. One that never failed me from <10 yards to over 400 yards was my Rem 700 in .270 Win. It dropped everything where it stood except on just a couple occasions. That rifle is now in the hands of someone else regrettably as I moved on to different but not necessarily better rifles. When not toting a muzzleloader I'm usually carrying a lever rifle in 30-30, 375 Win or .45-70 or a super accurate bolt action in 7-08 or 6.5 CM

I don't know if I missed it...but no mentioned a 44 carbine...I'll still prefer the lever action 30-30 with peep sights...

!

The .458 SOCOM or even the .50 Beowulf might be more to your liking. The .458 SOCOM comes closest to being a .45-70 than anything else. It is less limited in bullet weights to use. Then of course the .50 Beowulf can really sling the heavy lead down range.

So far the perfect deer rifle is….
.308 Win
.243 Win
450 BM
12 gauge
.338 Win Mag
.45-70
30-30 Win
.44 Mag
35 Rem
357 Max
.223 Rem
.350 Legend
6.5x55 Swedish
7mm-08 Rem
.358 Win
35 Whelen
7.62x39
300 BO
30-06 Spring
300 Sav
6.8 SPC
6mm ARC
6.5 Gren
445 Supermag
458 SOCOM
50 Beo

I can’t believe there are no 257 Roberts, 250 Sav or 6.5 Creed fans?

You didn't mention the 300 ultra mag...this is a no $hift...while teaching a Hunter Safety Class here in Florida, this 120 lb individual asked about a 300 ultra mag, he stated "because down here in Florida we shoot up to distances as long as 100 yards"...but when he shoots the rifle he gets knocked on his butt. Wanted to know what other bullets that are of lower power he can use with the 300 ultra mag...Wouldn't listen to any of our advice...

So far the perfect deer rifle is….
.308 Win
.243 Win
450 BM
12 gauge
.338 Win Mag
.45-70
30-30 Win
.44 Mag
35 Rem
357 Max
.223 Rem
.350 Legend
6.5x55 Swedish
7mm-08 Rem
.358 Win
35 Whelen
7.62x39
300 BO
30-06 Spring
300 Sav
6.8 SPC
6mm ARC
6.5 Gren
445 Supermag
458 SOCOM
50 Beo

I can’t believe there are no 257 Roberts, 250 Sav or 6.5 Creed fans?

You forgot all of the venerable mil surp calibers like 7.65 Argentine, 6.5 everything, 7x57, 8mm everything, .43 Spanish, .43 Egyptian, and a bunch of others too.

Heck I used to use a 7.65 Argentine as a teenager myself. I had a 6.5 Carcano carbine as my pickup truck ranch rifle too. It is super handy being so small.

You didn't mention the 300 ultra mag...this is a no $hift...while teaching a Hunter Safety Class here in Florida, this 120 lb individual asked about a 300 ultra mag, he stated "because down here in Florida we shoot up to distances as long as 100 yards"...but when he shoots the rifle he gets knocked on his butt. Wanted to know what other bullets that are of lower power he can use with the 300 ultra mag...Wouldn't listen to any of our advice...

Reminds me of when I took my concealed carry license class years ago. We had a guy come in all decked out in the latest avant guard tactical gear. Full setup too. The instructors had him take it all off and leave it in his truck as he really isn’t going to need it. He got all angry and stormed out and left.

I sldo knew a couple of guys that had to have the biggest baddest caliber hunting rifles too. They also were too embarrassed to admit that it hurt to shoot them too.

Back