Best short range deer gun (inside 150 yards)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far the perfect deer rifle is….

You forgot all of the venerable mil surp calibers like 7.65 Argentine, 6.5 everything, 7x57, 8mm everything, .43 Spanish, .43 Egyptian, and a bunch of others too.

Heck I used to use a 7.65 Argentine as a teenager myself. I had a 6.5 Carcano carbine as my pickup truck ranch rifle too. It is super handy being so small.
That was a list of cartridges that had been named up to that point, feel free to add whatever you want. As I said early on in this thread, at 150 yards or less almost anything will work and “best” is subjective.

That was a list of cartridges that had been named up to that point, feel free to add whatever you want. As I said early on in this thread, at 150 yards or less almost anything will work and “best” is subjective.

Yeah I can agree. I maybe forced to downsize myself. I had surgery last yesr and now I can’t shoot rifles or shotguns for that matter right handed anymore. Well maybe .22 rimfires might be about it. I need to go practice more with left handed shooting to see if I can do it OK or not. Maybe a heavy 6.5 Grendel rifle or something might work.

But for deer it depends on whether it is white tail or mule deer. White tail deer aren’t much larger than dogs. Heck some dogs are bigger even. Most anything works well for white tail deer. So something like a .243 Win is good. Even in Europe they were using .22 caliber center fire cartridges on the deer they have there.

Last edited:
My brother likes his s&w 460 and his 500anytime we go in to the woods.In the open I like my Knight mountaineer converted to 45 sml.And I use it in the woods as well.It really puts the hammer on the deer.

Yeah I can agree. I maybe forced to downsize myself. I had surgery last yesr and now I can’t shoot rifles or shotguns for that matter right handed anymore. Well maybe .22 rimfires might be about it. I need to go practice more with left handed shooting to see if I can do it OK or not. Maybe a heavy 6.5 Grendel rifle or something might work.

But for deer it depends on whether it is white tail or mule deer. White tail deer aren’t much larger than dogs. Heck some dogs are bigger even. Most anything works well for white tail deer. So something like a .243 Win is good. Even in Europe they were using .22 caliber center fire cartridges on the deer they have there.
Obviously, you don't hunt big northern whitetails, or you know some really big dogs.

The .458 SOCOM or even the .50 Beowulf might be more to your liking. The .458 SOCOM comes closest to being a .45-70 than anything else. It is less limited in bullet weights to use. Then of course the .50 Beowulf can really sling the heavy lead down range.
No doubt about a .50 Beowolf's ability to sling heavy lead, but it cost me a steak dinner everytime we go play. Christ, ammo has gotten high. Beowolf owners will tell ya,
Rifle....... $4200
Ammo... $3.85/round
Memories.. FREAKIN' PRICELESS!

No doubt about a .50 Beowolf's ability to sling heavy lead, but it cost me a steak dinner everytime we go play. Christ, ammo has gotten high. Beowolf owners will tell ya,
Rifle....... $4200
Ammo... $3.85/round
Memories.. FREAKIN' PRICELESS!

That is a surprise on the costs. The last I remember was they wanted $250 for the .50 Beowulf upper. But that was a while back. I build my own ARs so putting the parts together for one isn’t a big deal for me. But I had already gone the 450 Bushmaster route so getting a 458 SOCOM of a .50 Beowulf wasn’t something I needed. Now granted they are selling Bushmaster ammo in the local LGS stores but not for the other ones.

When I looked Bear creek Arsenal is selling .50 Beowulf complete uppers for $229.99 in several barrel lengths too. I don’t remember if they did anything to the lower other than a recoil spring, heavier buffer, and magazine too. Maybe a new BCG but since they rebated the case rim maybe not. But getting a new lower isn’t all that expensive either.

That is a surprise on the costs. The last I remember was they wanted $250 for the .50 Beowulf upper. But that was a while back. I build my own ARs so putting the parts together for one isn’t a big deal for me. But I had already gone the 450 Bushmaster route so getting a 458 SOCOM of a .50 Beowulf wasn’t something I needed. Now granted they are selling Bushmaster ammo in the local LGS stores but not for the other ones.

When I looked Bear creek Arsenal is selling .50 Beowulf complete uppers for $229.99 in several barrel lengths too. I don’t remember if they did anything to the lower other than a recoil spring, heavier buffer, and magazine too. Maybe a new BCG but since they rebated the case rim maybe not. But getting a new lower isn’t all that expensive either.
Not necessarily mine, a friend had his all but "Kimbered" as I put it.
My son and I pieced mine together, old AR lower and piece by piece for a little less than $1500.

As much as the cartridge the gun itself likely plays into our preference. On the shorter side, light and easy to carry, comes up easily, shoulders quickly. All the above cartridges kill deer. In the right gun makes them favorites.

Just a thought.

The Marlin 336C .35 REM that my father picked up on 21SEP74 at the KMart directly across from the Big Chicken in Marietta, Ga. He asked me what rifle I wanted now that I was 17. I told him and he said to give him the money needed to purchase it and a box of shells. He and Mom were heading out to a big wig Lockheed Marietta party. He was Senior Chief Flight Engineer Instructor at the time. Meanest, angriest man that I ever met and that includes 10 years in the Corps. He and Mom picked it up on the way back to the house. $69.97 for the rifle. I don't remember the cost of the Federal 200gr Hi-Shok.

The .458 SOCOM or even the .50 Beowulf might be more to your liking. The .458 SOCOM comes closest to being a .45-70 than anything else. It is less limited in bullet weights to use. Then of course the .50 Beowulf can really sling the heavy lead down range.
I started the first ARFCOM 458 SOCOM group purchase back in 2002. Now, I own two 458S, one 375S and one 358S.
They're what dreams are made of.
Here's the archived thread:

I used a .30-30 (One of the best rounds for brush and twigs) for the most part, now I'm into Muzzle loading and so far only own 2 Traditions Hawken's .50 cal ; A flint lock fully assembled and a kit percussion rifle. I own .765/.308 .45/70, but never really thought about hunting with them.

IMHO the old 270 is the BEST all-around for varmints to elk. My wife has a 77 tang safety,and has killed pert near everything in Wyoming with one shot, just ask Jack O'Conner if you don't believe me. 30/06 brass I use for 6.5/06, 270, and 25/06 and 35 Whelen is everywhere and the old powders still get the job done! Me, I use a R#1 carbine in 284 Win. though the last 5 antelope were killed with a 45 cal UH. Muzzleloaders ( traditional) don't cause bloodshot meat like CF rifles and are FUN! You just have to Injun up onum.

243 with a Barnes 80gr TTSX is a killer!! From what I have been told by friends..
I would love to try them but have an inventory of the partitions. Frankly from my experience I would say the Barnes in 80 grains for a 243 win should be a match made in heaven.

Back