Bestill .45 Brux/Omega & Fury ,45 275 gr FAT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
I got a little time today to shoot my Bestill .45 Brux/Omega and fine tune the scope in preparation for our firearm deer season this Friday. I set up at 100 yd, using the Fury .45 275 gr FAT bullet and 60 gr IMR 4198 with a .463"x .060" veggIe wad over the powder. I had a 7 mph crosswind from my right. I had swabbed the bore with a patch lightly dampened with Hoppes # 9 after I last shot it so I took two shots to foul the bore & establish a POI. They were left of the bulls eye and lower than the 2.5-3" high that I wanted. I made a scope adjustment and then shot a 3 shot group that was 2.5" high & about .5" left. I think that will work. I have some of the new Fury .45 275 gr Star Point 2s that Dennis now sells as an improved replacement for the FATs and was planning on sighting them in and using them but I'm not going to mess with these results now. I'll shoot at 200 yd tomorrow to check things out there and I'm ready to go.

Attachments

• 20181111_145129.jpg
    20181111_145129.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 560
  • 39179901_2187211688190798_6938858823075495936_o.jpg
    39179901_2187211688190798_6938858823075495936_o.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 561
  • 20181111_144842.jpg
    20181111_144842.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 562
LOL....Must be nice shooting right off the garage door. I tried that with the 12 gauge when a woodchuck decided my garden was his personal table and the man with the star showed up inquiring as to what the big noise was. Course I fibbed a little. Maybe you just set up there for the picture?

MrTom said:
LOL....Must be nice shooting right off the garage door. I tried that with the 12 gauge when a woodchuck decided my garden was his personal table and the man with the star showed up inquiring as to what the big noise was. Course I fibbed a little. Maybe you just set up there for the picture?

I miss being able to do this (now live in town and can’t) My wife killed her first Whitetail buck out of a Bathroom Window :D I Grew up on 40 Acres of Land with no neighbors anywhere near, We use to shoot out of the Dining Room Window on a very regular basis, The back Stop was a Mountain, We could get 300 yards if you wanted to Climb up that far and hang a Target

Looking good for both the group and the gun. Let us know how the 200 yard group turns out.

Love it.
Keep us posted.
I think mr buck is in trouble.

MrTom said:
LOL! This is where I shoot. I am blessed to live in a rural area where neighbors aren't very close. This location is actually a farmstead where my son lives. We have a machine shed with a shop in one end, hence the roll up door. My range is 2 miles of open fields, nor road nor houses, nor trees or anything else. No neighbors within a mile either way down the road it's on. It is seasonal because during the summer it's corn and bean fields but in the late fall it's mine.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Nice shooting! I'm guessing you have to smooth size the FATs, how was the loading pressure?
Yes, they were smooth sized. They were actually a bit loose. Not so loose that they would move with any jarring of the rifle or load with one hand without any effort but loose enough to easily load in a fouled barrel with fairly light 2 handed pressure. When iI first started shooting smokeless and sabotless about a year ago, I struggled a bit with sizing because I was trying to size bullets for too tight of a fit. In my limited experience, it seems like the thin jacketed, soft bullets like the Furys and Parker BEs work best when they are sized a bit looser, or at least work as well as when they are sized tighter and take some effort to load.

bestill said:
Love it.
Keep us posted.
I think mr buck is in trouble.
I just hope he shows himself. The only pictures I have of him are always at night.

I shot today at 200 yds with the same load. 12 mph crosswind from the left. I'm not real happy with the group but considering that I was very distracted and rushed all the shots because of my fingers freezing from a 14 degree wind chill, I don't think it's horrible. I believe I have a good load and can tighten things up with some better shooting conditions.

Attachments

• 20181113_143414.jpg
    20181113_143414.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 472
Still looks pretty close to moa. Like Jeff said still a dead deer. I probably should have kept one of the Omegas I sold. I really like the way these conversions look.

I was mainly disappointed in myself, not my equipment. The rifle is doing it's part and I think I have the bullet sizing spot on but by the time I got set up, put out a target and loaded the first round, my fingers were so cold I couldn't concentrate on my shots and was just punching the trigger as soon as the crosshairs lined up on the target, just to get done. The first 3 shots are the ones on the far right and then I just hurried the next 2 shots too much. I could have worn some gloves except when I was actually shooting but never took the time to get them. It's supposed to be a bit warmer today, with less wind, so I might get another chance to shoot today. I am very happy with this load.

It was warmer today and only 5 mph wind quartering toward me from the left so I shot at 200 yd again. Same Fury 275 Fat, veggie wad and 60 gr 4198. I did size the bullets down just a bit because they were a bit stiff in the fouled barrel yesterday. First 2 shots were low and a little left. Moved the crosshairs up 4 clicks and right 1 click and shot the 3 shots in the center of the target. I am happy with this and ready for Friday

Attachments

• 20181114_104305.jpg
    20181114_104305.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 426
Idaholewis said:
Darn good shootin :yeah:
It's a great rifle and will definitely shoot. I practiced a lot at 200 yd for our opener and ended up taking a deer at 89 yds. I'm not complaining. The area I hunt is an small open field, surrounded by woods on 3 sides. I have a shot to 200-250 yd on both sides and in front of me. I now have a rifle in which I have complete confidence to make any shot I am offered.

Latest posts

Back