BH-209 IN CVA FIREBOLT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterlink

Reaction score
Hello all.im realy wanting to try the BH-209.my gun is a CVA FIREBOLT ULTRAMAG.it is not on the aprove list for use with the BH209 on this forum. is it because of the breech plug.or will it work fine in my gun.it is 209 ignition.i am a total newbie to muzzleoading.but i know enough that i dont want to use anything corrosive.i was seriously looking at APP until i started reading about the Blackhorn.you guys no more about it than me.im still learning so any help about the BH-209 would be great. :)

Call BPI and tell them what you're wanting to do. They may send you a breach plug for an Optima (it fits just fine). The Optima BP is of the approved design and works well with BH209 in my Magbolt (same basic design as the Firebolt). Just make sure you observe all the other loading quirks about BH209, tight fitting sabots and very firm pressure seating against the powder and standard (not muzzleloading) 209 primers. Also remember to clean the BP fire channel well after each session, BH209 has a tendency to build up a lot of carbon in there. An 1/8" drill bit inserted into the fire channel and twisted by hand is usually all you need to clean most of it out. Good luck.

If that's one of those with a serial # ending in 95 or 96 its been recalled.
If so put" CVA FIREBOLT ULTRAMAG Manuel " in a search engine and go through it until you find the part about recalled barrels.
If I remember the ones I seen in the shop correctly it uses a nipple type mount to adapt to a 209 those are not considered suitable for BH209. Lee

Serial number ends in 02.and it looks like a regular 209 breech plug.i bought the gun new. old stock. last summer for 100 bucks.

BH209 needs to be use in a SEAL BREECH type gun.This means atleast to me ,a gun that has a enclose breech plug, such as all the break action's guns have/use's and some of the disc primer types gun's use's
.I myself have a REM 700ML and it is not have a Seal Breech

The resoning, i think they want to be use only in Seal Breech Type gun's.In a seal Breech type gun, the 209 primer is enclose and can not let any blow back forse any Fragment's are Hot Gas's into the shooter's face and cause injury
masterlink said:
mine has a slot cut across it.i see the difference now. :?

Im going to check into the optima breech plug setup.will call BHI on monday.thanks for the help.im learning more all the time. :)

I used and Optima BP in my Mag-Bolt drilled it .035 and it works. I had to back the BP out about 1 turn to get a good fit when the bolt was closed. I had a few hangfires except with Win primers. I don't load it over 100 gr Vol of BH209

Latest posts

Back