BH209 and 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc154

Reaction score
Does anyone have a load of BH that is equal in accuracy to two 777 pellets, with the same bullet??

Meaning, being able to switch back and forth between the BH and 777 using the same bullet and having the same point of impact. (different primer probably)

Or is this not really doable??

I think it is if you had a chronograph and put in some range time. I could probably give you a good guess if you tell me what bullet and gun (barrel length) you plan to use.

I can not answer your question for certain. And also its not logical to say if X amount of powder shoots good, and this different amount of powder equals X, then it too will shoot good. As different powder have different burn rates. They have different acceleration spikes, characteristics, etc. So all you can do is test different loads. BUT...

two triple Seven pellets equal two Pyrodex RS pellet or 100 grains of Pyrodex RS or 100 grains of Black Powder. Since BlackHorn 209 is approximately 15 - 20% more powerful then Pyrodex I would say, try 80-85 grains of Black Horn by volume. So start your testing at 80 grains and work up from there. Let the powder tell the rifle what load is most accurate. I find in my rifle approximately 90 grains of Black Horn 209 is where the accuracy curve seems to hit.

Good luck. And make sure your rifle is made to shoot BlackHorn 209. Its not just the fact that you can shoot pellets. We have rifle designs, breech plugs, and primers to consider when we shoot BH 209.

I can say this in my expirience, in my gun 110 gr. of T7 3F or BH 209 under a hornady .458 325 gr. FTX in a MMP orange sabot fires to the same POI at 100 yds. This is the only load I have tried it with. A lot of guns are different very different.

Thanks guys. It is a TC PH I am shooting. 250 gr XTP's. Gonna start with 85 gr BH and shoot, then 2 pellets of T7 and see where it goes. Will change primers though.

pc154 said:
Thanks guys. It is a TC PH I am shooting. 250 gr XTP's. Gonna start with 85 gr BH and shoot, then 2 pellets of T7 and see where it goes. Will change primers though.

If you mean Encore ProHunter. I use 250 gr bullets (Hornady XTP .452 with black MMP sabots) and my Encore likes 105 gr by volume. Of course all measures are different. If I weigh the charge and do the BH209 conversion factor it is closer to 112 gr. I started at 90 grains and worked my way up.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Try weighing a batch of Pydrodex, or 777 pellets. You will find up to a 15% +/- variation from pellet to pellet.
I realize that using pellets (especially for hunting and quick reloads) is desirable, but your accuracy will be effected by the variation.
Something to think about.

Back