BH209 in a TC Impact?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was referring to the tiny channel between the cavity holding the 209 primer and the cup-shaped opening in the plug firing chamber. I ave a tool(s) to clean the 209 cup. What I have been using to clean the tiny channel is a brass tool with a stiff curved wire that slides in and out and clears any debris from it. I never have had an issue using this little tool but have always thought a tiny drill bit would do a better job. It would have to be in the "micro" drill bit category if I can find one that small. Don't want to expand the channel, just make sure it is clear. Thanks for your reply.

If your cleaning the flame channel with just a wire odds are your just barely keeping it open enough to fire therefore the reason you think you need a micro drill, most flame channels need 1/8 in. drill bit there is another size that's used but cant remember at the moment what it is. If its closed up that small you may have to start with a smaller bit and work you way up to the right size. Carbon buildup up from 209 is pretty hard and a wire wont usually break it up.

I was referring to the tiny channel between the cavity holding the 209 primer and the cup-shaped opening in the plug firing chamber

It sounds like you think there are only 2 holes in your plug.
All 209 primer Breech plugs have 3 holes in them. Look at the diagram in post #2 above. The first hole created the Pocket for the Primer, second hole (the Next smaller) is the Flash Channel, and the third (and smallest) is the Flash hole. Most of us do not use any metal objects to clean the flash hole as it really does not build up any carbon. I flush mine out with something like Carb Cleaner or solvent and compressed/canned air. IF you really want to put something though that hole use something small (like piano wire, a pin gauge, or the Smooth tip of a torch tip cleaner (Not the abrasive part) and not abrasive like Drill bits or torch tip cleaners. That Flash hole will erode (get larger) the more you shoot so something abrasive could accelerate it. The Flash channel is the one we clean with a drill bit, you can see that in the Diagram above. IF you can't get a 1/8" drill bit in there (Maybe a 3mm), and have to use one smaller, Then even though it Looks clean it is not. Try using the smaller bit and wiggle it side to side while turning it by hand then turn it upside down on a piece of paper and tap it on the paper. IF some crap came out that shows it has some carbon in it that you scrapped loose and you need to use different size (gradually larger) bits to get it opened back up. Powders like Black Horn 209 will cause carbon build up in the Flash Channel and it is quite hard and will look like the metal of the plug.The Flash holes (Smallest hole) can start life (new) in the .029 to .031" range, but again will erode the more it is shot. I don't use the bits in the hole to clean them, and the only metal I use is a Pin Guage to check the size to keep an eye on how much it is growing so I know when to replace the plug or Ventliner. Drill bits for those sizes can be bought a real good hardware that have Wire Size bits (usually not found in bust packs hanging on a rack) or can be ordered online from places like McMaster Carr. Bit sizes in this range would be .029" = #69 bit, .031" = #68 bit, .032" = #67 bit.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-bits/=2ee42773da404c7fa0d0a2277b1ed58ejrxe74ke

Last edited:
Trust me, there is a short channel that starts right where the front of the primer stop that is 1/8" in diameter. That tiny hole doesn't need much cleaning and I use a piece to soft copper wire to poke thru there when I finish cleaning the plug. But that 1/8" hole will carbon up and if its not entirely open you will not get 209 to ignite with any primer or if you do it will be only occasionally. Take the plug out and try a 1/8" drill bit where you slip the primer in, centering the bit and twisting it with your fingers. You might surprise yourself at what comes out.

Latest posts

Back