BH209 Revisited!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't find a Walmart in Southwest Washington State that has it but a general websearch turned up this: Blackhorn 209 Muzzleloading Propellant » MAXAMMODEPOT

From that link (sic): “card processing system currently facing an issue please go with alternative method of payment. we are sorry for the inconvenience we are working hard to make your experience enjoyable always.” 😳

So, Zelle and venmo payments only, right now. No thank you! 🤣

i'm sure they also have a disclaimer about accuracy concerning their item descriptions .....
they are very common with most retailers and services :(

View attachment 22969

It would not surprise me that they're all 10oz containers. When Walmart first got shipments, it was all 10oz bottles. Only later did they reduce them to 8oz.

Not many muzzleloaders in the U.P. ?
What's the current exchange rate between Upper Peninsula vs Lower Penunsula money?

I was at a local Walmart in NH. $52 for 8 oz is crazy. I have been looking to a 5 lb jug of BH209 and that seems to be out of stock too.
Might be time to look into smokeless using my 45 cal Patriot.

I was at a local Walmart in NH. $52 for 8 oz is crazy. I have been looking to a 5 lb jug of BH209 and that seems to be out of stock too.
Might be time to look into smokeless using my 45 cal Patriot.
Once my supply of blackhorn 209 is gone I am going to go back to triple 7. Too high a cost and availability issues not worth the effort.

I heard 5# jugs have been discontinued for the time being. Hope this isn't true.

Makes sense to me…

If they changed from 10 oz. can to 8 oz. can to ~ahem~ make the product more “available” (🤬 PIRATES! 🏴‍☠️) to more shooters, imagine how many shooters they could reach by halting production of 5 pound cans! 🙄

I’m sitting on a little stash of unopened 10 oz. cans, but have never used any. I bought if after hearing folks rave about it in their CVA Optima V2 pistols.

If it’s going to bring $$$, maybe I should sell it, and just buy a case of black powder! 😆

.... I bought if after hearing folks rave about it in their CVA Optima V2 pistols....

I've tried a half dozen different powders in the Optima pistols [one the early model and the other the current V2], BH, T7, Pyrodex, true blacks- and one thing I can tell you is that with the BH209 powder at a 63 weighed grain load [90 volume] behind a 225 grain Barnes Expander there is zero unburned powder on the snow ahead of the rest. Every other powder, every one of them, left unburned residue on the snow using the same 90 grain volumetric charge and bullet/sabot combination. Every instance used a Winchester shot shell reloading 209 primer, and the plug has zero leakage. I've shot as light as 200 grain bullets at this charge with all the powders and the only one that offered complete burns was the BH.

I shoot it and black powder Jitterbug and although both have climbed in price the BH209 has doubled. A member on here sold me some BH 209 but I would have no hesitation buying a few more 10 oz bottles. Have 48 lbs of Real black. Shooting it in my 32s may take a few days at 15 Grains a charge. I have been given Goex that is 30 plus years old by families who needed to get rid of it and my supply stays constant.

I am revisiting BH209 also but also probably going backwards!
I bought three jugs when I bought my first inline about 9 years ago and I thought it was crazy expensive then.
I had been shooting Goex in a Hawken and a pistol and had also gone through a jug of Pyrodex.
I never had any problems with any of them.
I don't mind cleaning and may try 777 in the future.
I have enough BH209 to do some practicing and to hunt this season and then I will be out.
Even 32+tax for 8 ounces is crazy!

Back