bh209 Vs. powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admin- Haven`t tried anything but BH209. Was also shooting it in my Savage with FPB`s for Co elk load. Will try some T-7 in the AM. Have to shoot early cause by 9:00 AM it`s getting mighty hot. Will start the T-7 at 80 gr also.

Theres a place on gunbroker that i have listed under the "affordable Powerbelts" link on the forum. He's a dealer and you can get them from any weight for $14.95 + 4.50 shipping and each additional package you buy only costs $1 extra per package for shipping.

www.DDSRANCH.com "Cant find the powerbelts listed but they are on gunbroker"

None of the Ganders I stopped at on the way to my gig in Orlando have the BH209
I guess I will have to order some.

I am playing a gig in Chicago over the weekend.
Some of the players are driving,they left Monday and have been stopping at Cabelas and Bass Pros along the way with my shopping list,so far no BH 209 or Black powder. AARRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

Well,I am back
I went to a cabelas for the first time ever
WOW!!!! what a store

I had the BH 209 in my hands and they would not sell it to me unless I bought a non resident hunting license

STUPID

I did get some new bulletts to try and a CVA Barrell plug rust inhibitor to try in my new 45 cal.

So the search continues but I may have it worked out

Hello, new poster here. I just got some BH 209 and tried it for the first time in my Triumph. We have to shoot open sights in CO and I'm using the stock FO sights so it's hard to say just how accurate the load is, but I shot some groups with 80 grains 777 followed by 80 grains BH 209, both using 348 grain ATs and the BH209 shrank my groups noticeably. Sportsman's Warehouse has it for $29.95. Also, on the hangfires you guys may know this but their website says not to use 209 primers made for specially for 777 or muzzleloaders, use a full-power shotgun primer. I had no problems with hangfires.

Cleanup seemed to take about the same number of patches as 777, but there was much less hard residue in the barrel and it was much easier to reload without swabbing than 777.

Welcome smokepole
Glad to have you here.

Our ADMIN is from CO as well
I just got my first BH 209 and I remember reading about the primers I'll have to get some more W-209's

Again Welcome

Hello Smokepole, Great to have you here! I am about 30 minutes west of Trinidad.

Great to have a new member shooting bh209, I know a good deal of us here have not shot it yet but I do like to see results from those who are.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in the Denver suburbs, just realized there's a profile but don't know how to get in and populate mine. I'll have to check into that. I'm packing my hunting stuff this morning, gonna head out next Thursday with a backpack, the new Triumph (lighter than the tried and true Encore), and a cow tag. I'll visit the range once more but right now it looks like I'll be shooting the 348s with 80 grains BH209 unless I get different results at the range.

I've had good results with 777, no complaints, but the accuracy in the Encore has dropped off over the past few years compared to what it was new. Might have something to do with the fact that the rifle shoots better with a fouled bore so that's how I've been hunting.

Could be the Breech plug going bad on the Encore. I hear they are only good for about 400 shots before accuracy starts goin to hell.

Got a unit 85 cow elk tag myself! Its for 4th season though.

Really going to miss muzzle loading season, already been a nice chill in the air this past week.

Funny you should mention the breech plug, I just screwed in a new one, this is the third one for that rifle. I need to see if it makes a difference but I'm gonna use the Triumph anyway, it's a pleasure to carry in the mountains.

Got a late season (Thanksgiving) cow tag in Unit 371 too, along with my son so I'll get to go on an early hunt and a late one too, you can't beat that with a stick.

Hell, i'll take fresh elk steak over a thanksgiving turkey any day! :lol:

Let us know how the next range session goes.

Any chance you could take a small box filled with sand? I am interested in seeing how the 348 performed with bh209.

Oh it only takes about a 10x10 box with damp sand to stop the bullet. Even a small plastic bucket will do and be easier to deal with.

I'd like to see it tested at 100 yards. From there i can judge what the bullet will do at closer ranges.

Well, here are some "real world" results, using 80 grains BH 209, a 348 grain Aerotip, and a regular WInchester primer from about 60 yards:

IMG_1076.jpg

Alright Smokepole!! Great lookin elk you got there.

I am feeling good about those 5 packs of 348s i am ordering.

How about a full detailed story of the hunt?

I am interested in the damage inside the animal. Looks like a great lung shot, possibly heart shot.

Nice elk and shot placement
The more I read about the Triumph the more I like them

Admin.: Here's a link to the write-up (with photos) I did on another forum (Kifaru):

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161883&page=1#Post161883

As far as the shot, internal damage, etc., she was quartering toward me at about 60 yards when I pulled the trigger, she humped up like they do when they're hit well, and ran about 50 yards and stood there for 30 seconds or more, then fell over. There was an exit hole on the off-side, farther back like you'd expect, and high on the rib cage since she was a little bit above me. This is the fifth cow I've killed with the 348 grain Aerotip, but only the first exit wound; with the others I was using 100 grains 777 and the bullets that I recovered were pretty much pancaked and just under the off-side hide.

I use the "gutless method" of field dressing so I didn't open up the chest cavity and look at the internal damage so I can't help there.

Corey: Interesting that you're from Staunton, I grew up in VA and hunted the GW National Forest a lot. One of my favorite spots was the Ramsey's Draft Wilderness, the only buck I ever got mounted came out of there.

Latest posts

Back